• October 23, 2018, 05:18:01 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evil idea - messing with players' communications  (Read 2704 times)
CavemanJoe
Mod God

Opener of WormCans

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »

Oh, hello!

I've been thinking a lot about language lately, and about the whole Tower of Babel thing.  I'm not religious personally, but I think the story is very interesting, and it makes me ponder the way we communicate with each other.

It also gives me evil ideas.

On my highly improbable server, there's a race of beings called Jokers, who I will get around to coding One of These Days.  Said beings are highly infused with Improbability, almost all insane, and love games of chance and practical jokes.

So, here's my idea for a text-parsing module that messes with people's ability to talk with each other.

A shop would appear in the city of Jokers, called "Language Barriers" or something similar.  Inside, a Joker would tell you all about the various services he's able to provide.  Said services are mostly made up of curses, of varying types; here's a few ideas.

1. The BY THE WAY curse.
"Right, I'm going to go and kill the Dragon now.  Without my pants."
"Farmboy CavemanJoe is dead meat.  I swear, I'm going to kill him so fast he won't know what's hit him.  GOD I HATE HIM SO MUCH.  Kiss kiss."
"I'm going to go to the pub.  But first - CHEESE!"
"Man, I really have to upgrade my armour.  It's gotten all sticky."
"I love this game.  So hard."

This adds something to the end of your target's speech.  You can choose from the off-the-shelf curses, such as "without my pants," "but first - CHEESE!" "Kiss kiss," "so hard," "it's gotten all sticky" and "also, I love you," or, for an extra fee, create your own.  Buying more than one of this type of curse will result in the addendum being decided randomly.  You also have the option of stripping the last full stop from the target's speech, so you can turn "I love this game.  So hard" into "I love this game so hard."  These last for as many game days as you can afford.

2. The STEALTH curse.
"I've killed the cat ten times now, and I still can't persuade the barmaid to marry me."
"I've read the FAQ, but I just don't know where to do."

This allows you to choose one word - and ONLY one word - to replace with another word in your target's speech.  The target won't know what word you've chosen until it's far too late.  In the above example, you could change "Dragon" to "Cat."  If you're feeling especially mind-bendy, you could change a very commonly used word to another very commonly used word, like "what" to "where" in the above example.  Again, these last for as many game days as you can afford.
If another user has cursed the same target, then both words will be active and ready to be replaced.

3. A few different varieties of the BABEL curse.
"ejsy yjr n;ppfi jr;; od hpomh pm???!"

A variety of BABEL curses are available.  These are more expensive, and change every letter of the alphabet.  Some examples:
3a. Standard FFX Al-Bhed type stuff - change the o's to e', the a's to o's, the s's to t's, and so on, so that it sounds like your target is speaking Welsh.
3b. Keyboard mockery - swap the QWERTY row with the ASDF row, and reverse the ZXCV row.
3c. Change the user's speech so that it appears that they're typing QWERTY on a DVORAK keyboard, or some such nonsense.
These are very evil, so they can't be extended by paying more like the other curses.

4. The CONTROL curse.
"OK guys, I'm off to kill the Dragon.  Wish me luck!" -> "Man, it's hot in here.  I think I'll take off my sweaty jockstrap and parade around in the buff."
"I didn't type that!" -> "Man, I can't believe I just typed that."
"What the hell?!" -> "Still, it's not a bad idea..."
"WHO IS DOING THIS?!!!!" -> "Aah, yeah, that's the stuff."
"Oh bugger, I've been Cursed, haven't I?" -> "Damn, that jockstrap smells like the cheese I found behind the radiator."
"Well, I'd better ride it out, I guess..." -> "Which reminds me, where is that cheese?  I'm hungry, and I've been living on ramen noodles for the past week..."

This is evil, and expensive.  You can instruct the curse to disregard whatever the user types, and insert your own witticisms in its place.  The longer the curse goes on for (IE the number of lines that your curse is made up out of), the more it costs.

Users would be able to buy protection from curses at the same shop as the curses are sold, so that the game doesn't degenerate into an insane text-parsing free-for-all.

I think the one-word "STEALTH" curse is my favourite of all of them.  I'm posting this in The Ideas Place because I'd like some ideas from you guys for other types of curse!  The module itself seems like it'd be pretty easy to write - just a basic text parser, really, and there are plenty of examples in both the LotGD code (drunkenness etc) and in modules (talk like a pirate day and such) to help me figure it out.  So, this may be my first proper module - if you've got any ideas to add in, please do let me know!

CavemanJoe
Mod God

Opener of WormCans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »

Ooh, another idea:

5. The INSERTION curse.
"I'm SO going to kill the dragon."
"I'm not going to kill the dragon."

This curse is made up out of an insertion, and a trigger.  In both of the above examples, the trigger word was "I'm."  The insertion words were "SO" and "not" respectively.  This curse would be nice to combine with the BY THE WAY curse:

"I'm going to kill the dragon." -> "I'm SO going to kill the dragon.  Without my pants."

kickme
Global Moderator
Mod God

Yay for elephants!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »

These are hilarious (:

Have a look at the drinks module to see how to change comments.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka
Velle
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »

It might also work to make this a side effect of a dart ( Here)

The seelike dart that
They can make each letter of a users commentary appear in funny colours
  might be able to change not just colours but also the characters themselves.  Just a thought.
Velle
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:22 PM »

This is completely untested and a total hack, but you might wanna look it over and see if it is kinda what you want and I can test and re-write the language stuff as you wish it to be.  I did go ahead and make images.

Basically it will do a varitey of things (mostly what the original darts did) except the see like(re-named since these are not darts but contracts taken out with publicity agent) dart will replace:

"." with "Can I stop now please"
 "qu" with "queen hag"
"e" with "eer"

any of these can be played with and changed as you desire so that full words or phrases are changed to what ever.
~shrug~ like I said, not tested
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:14:51 PM by Velle » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
46 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search