• July 18, 2019, 02:50:26 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Village module: Retsac the Dispeller  (Read 3766 times)
ThricebornPhoenix
Codemeister

Dying is the easy part.

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:42:13 PM »

Retsac assesses the player's buffs according to a variety of values, and allows the player to remove any of them - for a price. Price is a gem for buffs with -1 (infinite) rounds, or an amount of gold determined by player's level and buff's duration. Retsac will be lenient if you can't afford the full price, and allow you to reduce the buff's duration by as much as you can afford. If you are using cities, there's a chance of one of Retsac's signs appearing in one of the villages that his shop is not in.

Tested in 1.1.1. Most of the color codes used are not compatible with 1.0.6.

Thanks go out to Maeher, XChrisX, Iori, and Catscradler, whose help was invaluable.

A caveat: though this module uses schema to identify whether a buff is racial, a specialty skill, or a mount, it does not prevent the player from removing any of these, and there is no confirmation screen.

This is probably best suited to realms using some of DaveS' modules Wink If your server doesn't have a lot of negative buffs, or if you want them to stick, there's not much point to this.

I'm not satisfied with the assessment formulas yet - but I may never be Smiley I'm hoping to get some input on it. Furthermore, I suspect a large rewrite is in this module's future, with the assessment script in its own function and some other minor improvements.

Download: http://dragonprime.net/index.php?module=Downloads;sa=dlview;id=1300
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:39:12 PM by ThricebornPhoenix » Logged

"I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying."
DaveS
Mod God

Dfly... you know, as in DaveFly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »

I like this module... one recommendation is to add round() statments around the prices.

Check out my Last Module:
The Dragon Eggs Expansion
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=8474.0

About my Retirement:
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=9080

See my complete module list here:
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=3038.0
ThricebornPhoenix
Codemeister

Dying is the easy part.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

Thanks Smiley I was distracted by something shiny before I finished it, but I was working on a fixed version a while ago (I noted a few minor bugs just after its release... whoops). If I didn't fix that yet, I'll be sure to do so soon.

"I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying."
DaveS
Mod God

Dfly... you know, as in DaveFly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:08:51 PM »

I think this is a really fun program... I just wanted to let people know they should take another look at it.

In particular, I'm using it as a way to check the balance of the buffs in my modules. Essentially, I give my SU the buff then check what the "gold value" of the buff is.  It's a nice check to see if you're doing something a little too powerful.

Here's some examples from some of my modules:

"The Holy Hand Grenade buff will cost a mere 26 gold to remove, and appears to be amazing!"  (From the Lost Ruins)
"The Poison Ivy buff will cost a mere 799.5 gold to remove, and appears to be rather nasty." (From the Lumberyard)
"The Iron Fortified buff will cost a mere 260 gold to remove, and appears to be beneficial."  (From Hara's Bakery)

(You gotta love the Holy Handgrenade!)

Just one curiosity... I have a buff that does nothing:

Code:
apply_buff('insanity',array(
"name"=>translate_inline("`@I`%n`!s`#a`Qn`^i`4t`&y"),
"rounds"=>-1,
"wearoff"=>translate_inline("You're sanity returns."),
"roundmsg"=>translate_inline("This is insane!!!"),
));

But here's the evaluation of it:
"The Insanity buff is really strong and will cost a gem to remove, and appears to be nothing special."

Really strong?? Anyway, I don't think -1 round buffs should be a flat rate since that may be a pretty cheap cost.  There's 2 main situations:
1.  No Survive Newday: I think I would tie the value of an infinite buff to the number of turns that player has left.
2.  Survive Newday: This means the buff is going to be around until the player dks.  That makes it unbelievably powerful (This is pretty rare; boosts_atk.php, boost_def.php, and poisonivy in clinic.php are the only ones I know about.)

I think the price is too tightly tied to the number of rounds... the holy handgrenade is REALLY powerful but quite cheap because it's only 1 round.

By the way, I think that buffs that survive newday can be a bit more powerful.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:04:50 PM by DaveS » Logged

Check out my Last Module:
The Dragon Eggs Expansion
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=8474.0

About my Retirement:
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=9080

See my complete module list here:
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=3038.0
ThricebornPhoenix
Codemeister

Dying is the easy part.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »

I got re-distracted, but I'm already back to working on this. Really, I am!

But here's the evaluation of it:
"The Insanity buff is really strong and will cost a gem to remove, and appears to be nothing special."

Really strong??

The cost for most buffs is simply (base cost) * (# of rounds), which isn't feasible for -1 types... and I needed some explanation for the difference of currency needed. Also, the infinite buffs that I've seen all, IIRC, are renewed on newday, which I think does make them really strong Wink

I think the price is too tightly tied to the number of rounds...

You're right. I did it that way initially because it's easier than the alternatives. I believe I was planning to link the cost to the assessment... multiply a base cost * the absolute value of points accrued during assessment, maybe.

TGTarheel
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »

Nice Module.  I am using it on 1.1.0 - the color codes k and m do not work on 1.1.0 so I made changes in the coding of the module to replace them with color codes that do work on 1.1.0 - otherwise, everything is as downloaded from here and it works on 1.1.0 in case anyone was interested.

I did make a few other changes that seemed to make sense to me.  I blocked navs to remove buffs listed "Unknown" - seems to me that if Retsac can't tell what the buff actually is...how could he remove it?  I also changed it so that "Unknwn" ones would not show up in the text body.

Part of the reason for this is that it was trying to make it possible to remove the "Elite Hindrance" buff (which listed as Unknown - I figured out what it was by hovering over the link to see what it linked to)...I do not want players to be able to remove Elite Hindrance...it's there for a reason!!

Two other Unknowns were Clanbuff2  and Clanbuff 3.  These go to the Clan Buffs.  Clan Aura still shows up and could be removed in my coding at the moment...why you'd want to do that...could not say.  Seems to me you'd just leave your clan...right??

Oneotherthing that happened, which Ihave not yet been able to address (maybe someone can) is the "marriage-married" shows in the list as "Array" rather than as Spouse's Love.  I took it out of the Navs...again,if you wanted to remove that, why not get a divorce??  But it still shows in the text body...and I would like for it not to do that.

That or maybe a comment about "Probably easier if you just get a divorce..."

Mostly a good solid module that is very useful for getting rid of lousy buffs.

One other thing...I have a buff in my own system...attached to a  Mystical Shop Item...which it judges to be "terrible" - but it really isn't.  There are tradeoffs made with that particular buff.  Your defense goes down, and attack goes up...but monster attack also goes up,  because the item angers the monsters.  Your attack goes up more than the monster.  Also...you get an attack point boost from the item.

So, overall, I think it is a well-balanced buff...you get more benefit than harm...yet this module calls it "terrible"  Just a minor complaint there...no real biggie.

Anyone of my players that ever asks about it I will explain it to them, and then they can decide for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:00:43 AM by TGTarheel » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
107 Guests, 1 User
Aeolus
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search