• October 20, 2018, 06:07:40 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Costs  (Read 5587 times)
MyLotGD
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 08:23:31 AM »

A dedicated server (True dedicated.) is renting a machine which you solely own and manage. The provider you are renting the machine from is responsible for the "machines" continued operation.

(Of course you are able to install and configure the server, PHP, etc.)

Similar to renting a apartment.
-
A rough blatant example of what a Dedicated server is not. (IE, Dannic stated he was using a "Semi-Dedicated Server")

Some host offers a "plan" which they market as Semi-Dedicated.
Simply because the "plan" states it is Semi-Dedicated does not intentionally mean the server is dedicated.

"Some Host, Hosting Plans"

"Semi-Dedicated Plan"

Some host offers a "hosting plan" which they market as Semi-Dedicated.
Which will always catch the average consumers eye and they'll of course go right off and spend $29.95 a month for a hosting plan which they believe is some form of Dedicated server. Yet in all actuality it is nothing more than a shared server.

No such thing as Semi-Dedicated. It's a shared plan (Shared server, you have multiple clients accounts sitting upon one machine. Hence, "Shared") offered which "supposedly" may limit's the number of clients to 5 or 10 per machine but it is still a shared hosting plan. The plan itself is just titled Semi-Dedicated.

It may make sense to call it semi-dedicated for many reasons but it is still blatantly a shared server and the word dedicated is being used to market it.
-
You also have to consider, that you should not need 120 Gigabytes's of Data Transfer for your average LoGD. 100 Gigabytes maybe to be safe but 60 - 80 Gigbytes should do quite well in giving you enough prior notice for when and if you need to upgrade your plan or begin looking for a provider which offers "more" Data Transfer.

No reason or sense at all to waste $29.95 to $150.00 on a hosting plan or a machine if you are not going to and or do not plan to use it all.

Even 40 - 50 Gigabytes would be a great start, you always have room to expand at anytime if you "need" too.
-
Dedicated is Dedicated when you the client solely sit upon that machine and are able to decide for yourself what should and should not be included on your server.

ShadowRaven
Mod God

Silence is a virtue...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 01:44:34 PM »

only one of those actually looks like a dedicated server. I can get a true dedicated server for $99 a month with 3000 mb of transfer per month.  Change what ever you want.  Run whatever you want.  

Could you send me the link for that site, It seems I'm going to have to go dedicated. Last month my site used close to 85 gigs of bandwidth and this month its already up to almost 30 gigs. My Host said that the really bad lagging problem my site is having right now is due to my site (nothing wrong with the server) its just that the server I'm on can't handle my site very well anymore...

But my host is offering a Dedicated server for $199 mo.  which is a bit too much for me...

Dannic
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 05:53:44 PM »

Right. Semi-dedicated, shared server, virtual server.... they are all the same.  Usually what happens is that they limit the number of sites on the server.

The semidedicated I am on allows only 9 sites on the server instead of the normal 200 or so.  You still don't have full rights to the server though.  You can't change the OS.  Load software that you need.  Ect...

So if you want a truly dedicated server it is going to cost you. Smiley

I do agree with twisted on this.  You really shouldn't need more than 100gb of bandwidth.  Even as busy as mine is(which isn't real busy) I haven't gone above 20gb for the month and I run probably 6 different games off my site.
Torne
SVN Users
Codemeister

Code ninja

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 06:16:28 AM »

A virtual private server is not the same as the others; a virtual private server is a machine which is virtualised into multiple OS instances via User Mode Linux, or VMWare, or Xen, or similar. If you have a virtual private server, you are root and can install any software you want. You cannot see the other OS instances on the machine, you only observe their effects on you (the fact that you don't get all the RAM or processor time).

Some virtualisation methods offer strict performance guarentees (e.g. you will get an absolute minimum of 1/N of the machine's cpu time where N is the number of virtual servers on the machine) - Xen has this, UML does not (though UML still tries to be fair). Most virtualisation methods guarentee you your RAM - if your VPS has 128MB of ram allocated, you will always have that amount.

A VPS is a good choice for hosting if you need to go beyond what a normal web host can do, as they are often much cheaper than a dedicated machine, and if the provider is competent, you should be able to get a guarenteed level of performance which may well be entirely sufficient for your purposes.

That said, when my game goes public it will be on regular web hosting, albiet with a company run by several friends of mine (who will install anything I ask for *grin*).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
59 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search