• September 19, 2018, 07:19:19 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: files that provide themselves for download  (Read 3659 times)
MvpZERO.net
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »

But anyways i think Talisman you've made it very clear, it would be kinda hard and such to code and make it all fuction under neth everything and keep everything up to date and such.

its hard enough making sure there are updated versions here in dragonprime. coders don't always remember to put their files here after they make changes.

yes, i understand what you mean by that, in the long years i've been online and years i've worked on sites i know what you mean, it can be pure hell alot of times, cus people ask for requests on updates and such, and theres only so much we are all limited to in life.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 12:56:53 PM by MvpZERO.net » Logged
SaucyWench
Mod God

I'm a good girl.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 07:24:03 PM »

I originally hosted all my files here, but quickly found that keeping tabs on who has what version became a pita - someone "updated" a previous version that had gone into the core release with a bunch of changes and thus their release was forked. Probably my fault, but it made it obvious that more than one download method for my files was counter-productive.

I now keep them on my own server. If I forget to update them there, it's me they contact either way to get hold of the newer version. They won't end up with a forked one this way because a newer version doesn't exist anywhere else.

SaucyWench
Owner of GemDust.com and Darton City proudly hosted by LunarPages
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »

I now keep them on my own server. If I forget to update them there, it's me they contact either way to get hold of the newer version. They won't end up with a forked one this way because a newer version doesn't exist anywhere else.

How many modules have disappeared because people hosted them at their server?  It's a shame, what has been lost.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
XChrisX
Global Moderator
Mod God

Be aware of the squirrel!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 12:00:46 AM »

The main argument for this "auto-download" option is that if I made a minor change to a file (e.g. removed the strtolower from crazyaudrey) I have to release it. But you don't want to have dozens of different versions of "crazyaudrey" hosted here on DragonPrime. Still I have to make it available. So having the auto-self-download-thingy-option in there makes it a lot easier to release files with minor changes which are surely not of interest for the majority of people.

Running for more than three years now:
Nightborn
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 02:04:47 AM »

ok, so well, then I will stop doing this.

And rewrite most single modules to get a download link.

still, I don't think that the current core should negate such a feature by simply prohibiting all not http:// or "core" strings.

^^
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online