• August 18, 2018, 08:58:07 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Author Credit Guidelines  (Read 37181 times)
DaveS
Mod God

Dfly... you know, as in DaveFly

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

EDIT:  I said something totally wrong and I don't want it to become any sort of rumor or whatnot.

What I wanted to review was Eric and Kendaer's exceptions for credit guildelines for specialty and race modules quoted from http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=2841.msg25259#msg25259:

BTW, neither I nor Eric feel the need to have the specialty and race modules attributed.. Their structure is fairly rigidly defined.. You need to have pretty much that exact code in order for them to work right.. the only thing creative there would be the text in most cases, so assuming you're not doing only minor tweaks, don't bother attributing them
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:39:23 AM by DaveS » Logged

Check out my Last Module:
The Dragon Eggs Expansion
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=8474.0

About my Retirement:
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=9080

See my complete module list here:
http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=3038.0
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »

The only thing I'd say about this is that it's my understanding that Eric stated that modules based on his code would not need to have credit given.

I think that was referring more to the races and specialties modules.  Taking a "normal" module by Eric (or anyone else) then slapping your name on it after superficial changes and thinking it's ok is just wrong.

When borrowing portions of code from assorted sources, as I'm sure happens quite regularly, you should ask yourself whether enough of another person's work was used to justify acknowledging that person in the author credit.

If you can HONESTLY answer "no" to that question, you can also consider using in-file comments to indicate where code from another author or module was used.

ie

//battle function borrowed from justanothermodule.php by I Write Modules

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Darknessfalls
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 03:55:29 AM »

*bumps*

I am hoping I am posting this in the right spot, as it seems like a genuinely decent place to ask this question.

What does one do if they run across a realm that lists all of the modules as the owner's own module, yet when looking at the module, you see it is just a copy and paste of a module that was already written, and the writer's name was just changed?

For example. A module written by Eric Stevens would be saying that JaneDoe is the original writer for the module.

(JaneDoe is just a made up name, and there is no owner that I have seen anywhere that goes by the name JaneDoe. The name is fictional, and any likeness of the name is not intentionally, nor would the finger be pointed at her for this question)
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »

- Petition the site admin with your complaint
- Request copies of all their modified files quoting the CCL
- Post a link here for others to verify your suspicions

Darknessfalls
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 05:56:58 AM »

Thank you, Talisman, for a timely response.
Georgia Albertim
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »

please someone can help me? I need to contact any admin to know how can I release my codes in Portuguese of lotgd game source... I want to follow the instruction  in the terms of use that the dragomprime needs to receive the code back. if someone could help me this is my email thesanctuary07@hotmail.com
I need to know this...
Astarael|Jack
Codemeister

Lord Procrastinator and King of Cheap

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »

Post it here. Not specificly here, but in the LotGD Around the World - Language and Translation Support section.

http://dragonprime.net/index.php?board=25.0

it's alright to post in portugese on the above board

Through Google Translate - Atravs do Google Translate

Post-lo aqui. No specificly aqui, mas no LotGD ao Redor do Mundo - Lngua e seco de apoio traduo.

http://dragonprime.net/index.php?board=25.0

Est tudo certo para postar em portugus no quadro acima

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »

Sharing the files can be accomplished a few ways...posting them here, hosting them elsewhere, advertising them here with a link to where they're hosted, or just providing them to people when requested.

What version of the game have you translated, and what method did you use?

If version 0.97 using direct file translation (no other way, really), you may want to host it yourself and advertise it here.

If version 1.x.x using direct file translation, that really isn't the right way to do it and I'd prefer not to host the file here, although you can certainly advertise it with download location or contact information.

If translated using translation tools, the translation tables dumped from mysql can be hosted using any of the foregoing methods.

If translated using Nightborn's Translation Wizard, follow his instructions for adding your translations to the shared database.

A note about translations:

- file translations of 1.x.x are discouraged; to encourage using the proper methods, I am reluctant to host translated files on DragonPrime, and certainly will not suggest support for issues with those files.
- In many cases, we aren't able to speak the language of the translations, and cannot verify the content for "family friendliness".  DP cannot and will not assume liability for any offensive content in such files.

Darknessfalls
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »

*bump*

I am bumping this again, to point out the Author Credit Guidelines. Please, make sure you are giving credit to original authors for modules/templates/etc. Some of us do tend to forget to give credit to original authors, which happens. When someone points it out, hopefully people remember to fix it. However, if you are blatantly taking a module/template/etc that someone else wrote, calling it your own and COMPLETELY removing the author or even not hinting at giving credit to the author is wrong, and last I checked that was a bit against the policy. So please, make sure you are giving credit to the authors.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

*bump*

I am bumping this again, to point out the Author Credit Guidelines. Please, make sure you are giving credit to original authors for modules/templates/etc. Some of us do tend to forget to give credit to original authors, which happens. When someone points it out, hopefully people remember to fix it. However, if you are blatantly taking a module/template/etc that someone else wrote, calling it your own and COMPLETELY removing the author or even not hinting at giving credit to the author is wrong, and last I checked that was a bit against the policy. So please, make sure you are giving credit to the authors.

Hear, hear! I second this fully!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online