Home Forums News Links Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
IRC Channels
Search

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how tough will the transition to 0.9.8 be?  (Read 6682 times)
strider
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2004, 07:13:03 PM »

From what it looks like to me, we should already start preparing our users for the transition to 0.9.8, which includes a fresh start for some of those boards. Less you wish to keep running 0.9.7  .  .  .
Kendaer
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 07:43:34 AM »

From what it looks like to me, we should already start preparing our users for the transition to 0.9.8, which includes a fresh start for some of those boards. Less you wish to keep running 0.9.7  .  .  .

See my comment in the other thread.. No database info should be lost in the migration to 0.9.8 (at least not information which is stock to 0.9.7). All of the modules (like dag or the seth/violet lover stuff at the inn) know how to correctly take data from the current system and insert it into their new setup.

All I was saying is that you won't be able to run both 0.9.8 and 0.9.7 off of the same databases *simultaneously*, not that you would lose information when you moved over.
sixf00t4
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 12:56:54 PM »

and why is it that we can't keep tables or fields that .9.8 wants to drop?

Kendaer
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 07:38:57 PM »

and why is it that we can't keep tables or fields that .9.8 wants to drop?

Because they are moving which means that would fall out of synch.. The databases are not compatible.. they will not be compatible.  Deal with it Smiley
sixf00t4
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 07:56:37 PM »

ha.  fair enough Smiley

FW Viper
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2004, 07:04:21 AM »

it if will support prefixs then you could make a frish install with a prefix and work on 'getting 9.8 ready' for your users why they are still using 9.7 when it is ready you should only have to change the conection sctipt of your 9.8 to conect to the old tables (ie the ones without the prefix) remove mention of the prefix from the cod as needed and convert your database to the new standers using whatever tool is provided.

you just can't run both on the same tables but you can still ease the transistion.

not that any of what I just typed makes any sence...
Arune
Mod God

Arune Vai - khatfield

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 01:35:05 AM »

Well what he was saying is that by running 0.9.8 the way the modules are scripted it is made to automatically add and remove database fields on the go. So when it is ran it removes such fields like drunkeness etc that are moduled and not ran directly through the database. So in turn yeah, you could run 0.9.7 but it would be full of errors cause tables won't be there.  If you could run em off the same database, would you really want to throw it that much out of whack? You'd be in for one heck of a mess.

Sadly, there is not going to be a whole lot of mods out there that are going to be compatible with 0.9.8, though it is definitely a step forward. Sixf00t asked if the changes between 0.9.8 will be substantial enough to upgrade and lose most of your mods and start from scratch again.

The answer is yes. 0.9.7 although is quite stable and definitely well done, the architecture is not so wonderful. 0.9.8 definitely breaks through the 0.9.7 clutter and makes for a much easier game to modify and add to. Installations will be done quite differently, going in and editing the actual codebase to add modules, will no longer be standard procedure. If anything, its going to cut down on some of the headache and alot of the installation errors.

Now, most of us have written a script...Later to find out it works but we broke something in the common.php =p or somewhere alike. The good thing about 0.9.8 is it is centralized and you call the functions you need. Not all the other you don't.

I can't see a downside at all to the upgrade. 0.9.8 has quite alot to offer in the way of development alone. Once we all learn to create the IGM installations to a true perfection, I believe its all good from there.

As FW Viper said, I don't see why installing with a prefix would not work. Though, the only issue I have with running 2 games is the simple issue of userbase. If say I have even 25 users total between 2 games all at once, my poor machine is working its ass off. I'd say good for your personal testing, but I wouldn't want to throw it open as a beta to all my users, cause that sure throws a load on server resources. *cough* 25 people fighting in forest....The force writes would definitely keep that harddrive spinning =p

Just my 2 cents..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 01:47:39 AM by Arune » Logged
Kendaer
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 07:47:21 AM »

Arune definately explained things a bit better than I seemed to be Smiley

Just so you all know of another upcoming feature in 0.9.8.  There will be better internal support for language translations.

MightyE has been working on this now, and with luck it should be all handle-able from an in-game interface and driven by the database, so even Anpera should notice a speedup (no more loading the entire translation table and then parsing through it! Smiley

Anpera, when ME has it a bit more stable, he's going to want to have you give it a whirl I think on one of his test games.  Just a heads up Smiley
ATJ
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2004, 01:40:23 AM »

will there be a step by step update with files that are not already there?  that way some people with moderatly modded items wont have tyo do a fresh install of 98, and then rework it.
Kendaer
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2004, 06:20:34 PM »

will there be a step by step update with files that are not already there?  that way some people with moderatly modded items wont have tyo do a fresh install of 98, and then rework it.

No.  The sheer number of source code changes make that undoable.  Seriously there is *no* source file which is even closely related except in general function to the equivalent 0.9.7 file.  We have made so many back-end improvements to support a lot of the stuff we're doing that you're just out of luck in that respect.

Most of the existing mods will not apply without modification and 99% of them should be rewritten to use the new module system we are providing anyway since doing them the other way is just the wrong way and will buy you the same upgrade pain.  Doing them as correctly defined modules will (well should) make them relatively painless to upgrade the core code in the future.
Kyky
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2004, 06:26:32 PM »

so should we even work on the COFD Project? I mean will it be worth it? We will finish right around the time .9.8 comes out and then we will have to convert it all now........
strider
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 10:21:34 AM »

I imagine that many people will still run .0.9.7 and because of certain changes in 0.9.8. You might not want to upgrade without seriously considering your commitment to the game community. Though I know this isn't much of a problem on Dragon-Prime, there are others in the shadows that have assumed loopholes in the binding agreements far too long. These false assumptions aren't tolerated, but 0.9.8 will hopefully solidify both the game-system and the rights of its creators in the Open Source community.

This is a very good for all of us, I believe.

As far as creating mods that will have to be rebuilt. It's easier to adapt an existing mod to a new system then to put it off forever and try to come back to it.

Already, I've slowed my own coding and modified some of my works to be brought into .0.9.8 from the glimpses and gatherings I've had.

Once .9.8 is released, Talisman and I shall probably to split the coders areas into a .0.9.7 section and a .0.9.8 section and I intend to release a few notes and exact steps on "HOW" I've brought my mods into the modern system. I hope JT and MightE will guide me through some of these when I get stuck and we shall articulately publish rather accurate descriptions for the community.

From a community standpoint, all of us have much work ahead of us to help build a more stable and expandable world of LotGD online gaming.
AndyMC
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 04:16:33 PM »

I can't wait to start programming multiple cities and far off regions in 0.9.8,  I'm probably going to have each race start off in a different city, and through passing quests or obtaining various items they can eventually travel to the other cities as well.
Kendaer
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2004, 07:04:50 PM »

I can't wait to start programming multiple cities and far off regions in 0.9.8,  I'm probably going to have each race start off in a different city, and through passing quests or obtaining various items they can eventually travel to the other cities as well.

I would actually recommend you take a look into the dev 0.9.8 prerelease servers to see what's already there.  For instance there are already racial villages.  They are enabled on logd.dragoncat.net but not on lotgd.net so that we can make sure the game works in both modes Smiley

Things are still progressing.  However, MightyE has recently been utterly slammed at work, and so hasn't had a lot of time.  My time has stayed about constant, which means we're still making slow but steady progress.
sixf00t4
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2004, 09:47:43 PM »

question, are the racial villages one file?  or seperate?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Who's Online
35 Guests, 0 Users
DragonPrime LoGD
Recent Topics
Home Forums News Links Downloads Login Register Advanced Search