Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c01/h06/mnt/10927/domains/dragonprime.net/html/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c01/h06/mnt/10927/domains/dragonprime.net/html/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Distributed LotGD
DragonPrime - LoGD Resource Community
Welcome Guest
  • Good morning, Guest.
    Please log in, or register.
  • September 17, 2019, 03:20:33 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distributed LotGD  (Read 6370 times)
Drenac
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:50:07 AM »

Imagine this....

You're in the village square when you see a small path that leads off into the distance....you decide to follow the path and it leads you to a large intersection with multiple road signs.....

Each sign points in the direction of a village, not unlike the village you come from.

You decide to take a different path.  At the end of the path is a village, similar to your own, with new experiences and people, and another dragon which torments the villagers.

You decide to head out into the forest to see what other dangers threaten the townsfolk, however you're tired from your journy and decide its best to rest for the remainder of the day.

-----------------------------------

This is my idea for a distributed LotGD.  The idea being that players can pick up and move their characters from one server to another.  Name, Gender, Level, Equipment, and Money all transfer with the character....

From that point on, the character resides only on the new server.  To return, the player must perform the similar action over again.

What is involved in something like this is code to leave and enter the village, as well as code for the intersection.

To be added to the intersection administrators would have to add the other villages to the database.  Entries in the database would be village name, URL, some other special flags, and possibly a login name and password to use on the database - though I'm not sure this is necessary yet.

If it is necessary, admins would most likely create a new login name on the database with limited access, solely for this purpose.

Anyways, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Cheers! ~Drenac  Cool
keith
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:25:32 AM »

I don't think that could happen Sad , some servers let you get a house and you don't loose your money every Dragon Kill you could get a ton of money and get realy good armor weapons and stuff then go to another server that doesn't do that and kill a bunch of people. and some servers sell gems, you could go to a server that sells gems for 2000 then go to another server that will buy your gems for 3000. unless you got all the servers to have all the same things I don't think that will happen
lonnyl
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:37:25 AM »

I agree, we would all need be running almost identical games..... The logistics of it would be imense, as well as so many avenues for abuse.
Drenac
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 12:19:21 PM »

Heh, people are so quick to criticize.  Roll Eyes

Ever played Neverwinter nights?  They do basically the same thing.

What would need to be done is a standard would need to be established....for example, players of level 12 should have approx. X gold and should have roughly Y, and Z items....

Then whenever a player goes from one server to the next, if they are over those limits, they are reduced back to the standard.  This forces an even playing field when switching between servers.

Dont worry about the logistics....I can take care of those, I'm just asking whether you think it would be cool or not, not whether its posible....I KNOW its possible and I KNOW it can happen.  Its just a matter of whether people want it to happen..   Grin

Finally, remember that admins are responsible for linking their villages to other villages...if they feel that another server is too incompatible with their own, they just dont add their village to the other server's crossroads.  Make sense?

Cheers!  ~Drenac  Cool
lonnyl
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 12:24:43 PM »

But if server A likes server B but not C ---- and server B likes C.   Player goes from A to B then to C and back to B then back to A.   Hard to block someone..... and what happens when someone implements something new that changes balance.   I like the idea, but as I have witnessed from the sourceforge forums and some here, that some people just cannot seem to follow rules.  I think it's a great idea, but can't see how one could prevent abuse.   As I remember this has been discussed on sourceforge to some extent, you might want to check out the forums there for some more viewpoints.
Drenac
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 12:33:32 PM »

lonnyl, Thanks for your insignt.

As I said before, if we create a standard of what equip, gems, and money players should have at each level, we can cap the players when they travel from one server to the next.

Also, I see your problem with server A, B, and C....so perhaps rather than distributing the joining/leaving of villages between servers...have a central server which transfers character to/from all servers.

In this way, the central server can enforce the caps...and it can also restrict villages being added until they adhere to certain standards.

So a new server pops up and they want to be added to the "crossroads", so they register their server with the crossroads network which causes an admin to check for compatability before adding the server.....

once added, any time someone transfers to/from that new server, the crossroads automatically adjusts the player's stats before connecting him/her with their destination village.

As new stuff is added to the different villages, they can submit them for approval by the network if they like, otherwise, not.  Even if they do not submit them for approval, if the new technology doubles a player's gold for example, as soon as they leave the village its going to be stripped down anyways....so new features shouldnt really be a big problem with caps in place.

Cheers! ~Drenac  Cool
anpera
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 01:26:42 PM »

Please read this thread. There are some of the problems discussed already Wink
Drenac
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 01:40:14 PM »

It seems to me that people are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.  The vault concept used by NWN is actually rather simple, efficient, and requires little load on any server.

On the other hand, it appears to me there is a strong feeling against such a thing at this time, and that's perfectly understandable.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Cheers! ~Drenac  Cool
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 01:42:46 PM by Drenac » Logged
Arune
Mod God

Arune Vai - khatfield

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 03:51:06 PM »

If you could make this work and show us an example I'd be more than willing to throw up a test server and test link etc. But I feel like it would be a helluva lot of work to ever get it right.

Kendaer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 11:59:01 PM »

lonnyl, Thanks for your insignt.

As I said before, if we create a standard of what equip, gems, and money players should have at each level, we can cap the players when they travel from one server to the next.

And that only works until someone decides to 'change their local rules'.  And I gaurentee you someone will because people often make changes without thinking them through.  Now granted, they would only be able to hose their own server that way, but you'd have a lot of SORE players bitching about how they had X mount over on server Y and they spent their gems on it and want it back.

Basically it wouldn't work unless the villages/mounts/specials/etc were so identical as to make it uninteresting.

While Eric and I would find the idea interesting, we do not believe there is any practical way to accomplish it which wouldn't lead to lots of bitching from immigrants or seriously destabalized game balance.
lonnyl
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 05:15:01 AM »

Not to mention that the minute players start loosing things, they will stop travelling from village to village.  (game to game)
Drenac
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 07:10:53 AM »

Thanks again for your feedback.

Cheers! ~Drenac  Cool
strider
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 07:20:22 PM »

I've voiced my opinion on this topic several times before, and yet again I am going to say that out of the box, it's a bad idea for the reasons Anpera and Keander and everyone has already stated.

BUT: I do find it terribly interesting and I think it's possible to do, only in a very tight-knit group of server admins who agreed with each other on the rules of their servers before linking.

Now, having LotGD games based off the open release and simply expanded upon would be very boring once they're balanced out between multiple servers. . .

BUT, I can see a way where an Alliance of servers could interact like this and propel a very cool megaverse. Each server would have to severely customize their game to reflect a specific, unique realm. Perhaps each with a few unique races that can only originate from that particular realm. This Alliance would have to agree on what they were building, agree on their distinctions then move forward in their world-building and allow people to cross over their frontiers. It isn't something that'll be able to be open to every LotGD server. . . but small unions of servers would indeed be interesting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
89 Guests, 0 Users