Warning: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '$func['entity_fix']('\2')', to be a valid callback in /nfs/c01/h06/mnt/10927/domains/dragonprime.net/html/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Standards
DragonPrime - LoGD Resource Community
Welcome Guest
  • Good morning, Guest.
    Please log in, or register.
  • September 21, 2019, 10:37:47 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Standards  (Read 11865 times)
lonnyl
« on: February 16, 2004, 06:13:56 AM »

I think we need to discuss some standards for our IGMS and mods such as what we should comment into the file, such as author info, date, version etc... 
Author of course should be required
version should also be required
the home site should be required

anything else?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:52:27 PM by Talisman » Logged
rax
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 01:20:48 PM »

A description of what the thing does.    I know that seems kind of intuitive, but sometimes people forget it.     I also like to include a separate file that gives installation instructions (if they are required).
strider
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 02:14:22 PM »

For really involved files, some sort of requirement area is needed for certain. I don't know if there should be a usage comment or a seperate file. I guess it depends on "HOW" involved it is.

Since everyone has their own style of commenting, I don't think we need to have "one set" format or anything like that. Just a protocal of what we're looking for and what we keep from version to version.

If someone just has their name on it, eventually it'll be worked on by someone like me who'll put version info into it. Then we build on the version until they're pretty solid. . .
Zanzaras
Captain of the Guard

*Snipe*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 02:17:30 PM »

I agree... most of the time we can read through the code to see what the file does, but it would be easier if a short description was included so those of us who are just scanning through the downloads will be able to quickly decide if we want it in our game or not.

As for the seperate file for installation instructions, I think if the instructions are rather simple then they should just be included as comments at the beginning of the script, that way if you have the file then you have all you need to know to install it. If it's going to get complicated or long, however, i think a seperate file with instructions would be a good idea.

"Intelligence is like a river, the deeper it is the less noise it makes."
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 04:49:10 PM »

The current file sharing system is temporary, and leaves much to be desired.  I'm working on an improved system that permits a file description and download tracking similar to the forum's builtin downloads section.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
strider
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »

That'll be really nice when it comes up. Can you believe we're already at 355 posts and 41 total members?

Dragonprime is really jumping. May need to get a bigger boat soon.

lonnyl
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 05:19:28 AM »

Well, I thing we should call for the following standards for commenting our files

Author:
Contributors:
Comments:
Version:  dated 03222004     and or  03222004 + ll (contributor initials)

I think dated versioning would get rid of any confusion as to the files version....

anything else?
strider
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 11:20:51 AM »

tis what I use in my format already along with some notes and a version history.
Spider
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 12:41:13 PM »

just thought I would add this.

When there is a database change required, I really appreciate it when the code snippet is given to change the db, I use phpmyadmin for all my mysql needs and it makes it so much easier to just be able to copy and paste the SQL and click go than having to manually create the database.

This isn't too much effort, if you know what you're doing with changing the database you should really know how the SQL for it works, and for your minute of extra effort you will save no end of database troubles, because everyone will install the db update the same Smiley
sixf00t4
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 03:14:38 PM »

good suggestion Spider.  I second that motion.

phofire
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 08:48:35 PM »

Required Prior Mods

I have looked at a few that are built on existing mods and sometimes not find it untill some effort has been put in

this would also be VERY nice in the first post thats placed in the forums about it.
Floris
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »

Hi there..

Maybe it's usefull to inform if the script uses xtra sql statements ( like WRITE )..
I just use 9.7 because I can't run 9.8 because of that.

Greetzz,
Floris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD