• October 20, 2017, 09:11:32 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bans Public  (Read 2970 times)
Freeze
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

* Nefarious isn't sure if this is the right board

I dont know if this is for suggestions or for brain storming.

Well, the idea is, for there to be a list of bans, for the public. I got the idea, from some state laws that require certain law offenders to register [eg. sex offenders].

So that people know what other people do? Not sure how to code it, but i thought it was a good idea.
Freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »

But then, if it was a module, then it could be turned off or on.
robert
Old Dog
Mod God

LoGD Buff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:22:59 PM »

It is none of anyones concern nor should it ever be - concerning who is banned from a site - the people who NEED to know already DO know, the admin issuing the ban and the person the ban is placed upon.

The more advanced site operators not only make use of the excellant core controls for banning but also make use of .htaccess - any module showing such a list is not only a waste of a code writers time,  it would be really tacky to display such a list. Angry  on par and equal to other annoyances as: pop ups - forced message screens - banner ads - java scripts asking questions - forced downloads - browser hijacking.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 03:27:01 PM by robert » Logged

Sichae
iMod God
SVN Users
Mod God

If ya didn't get it by now... you're hopeless...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 03:34:49 PM »

Easy to code, REALLY stupid idea. Basically, you are making a mockery of a person, by draggin their name through the mud.

The reason WHY they get most sex offenders to register, is to:
  • Keep Track of Them
  • Their Location
  • To get the information out
There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for a ban list like this to come about. Since a person probably isnt going to get angered enough, to come out after a person, because of a banning from a game.

Extremely idiotic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 03:37:49 PM by Sichae » Logged

If you didn't understand anything in the above post, don't try to attempt anything suggested.

SaucyWench
Mod God

I'm a good girl.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »

While the "hall of shame" concept for users has some merit as a concept (ie, to discourage others from misbehaving) you should consider the legal ramifications. You open yourself up to being sued for a start. Secondly, most countries have laws about privacy, and it's a very grey area as to whether a person's nickname is disclosing their personally identifiable information...

The main one that grates with me is that I have a fundamental belief that *everyone* is entitled to privacy. I will not even share the IP of an offender with my own moderators unless there is a NEED. If a person discloses their OWN information, fine, but that is quite different. If their nickname is their Yahoo and MSN ID, for example, that ain't my fault if a moderator stumbles on their personal home page... but I digress. I personally just think it's a really stupid idea. The supporters should consider what their own reaction might be if their own nick was plastered somewhere with allegations of doing the wrong thing attached.

Oh! Flashback! Gee, someone accused ME of something on their own MOTD! Less than sportsmanlike, wasn't it?

SaucyWench
Owner of GemDust.com and Darton City proudly hosted by LunarPages
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
32 Guests, 2 Users
Pocket1975, Helga
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search