• October 21, 2017, 11:16:47 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bblock - IP blocking module  (Read 1415 times)
Chewie
Captain of the Guard

Ignore this.

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:01:31 AM »

I have some suggestions for future modifications of this module.

1]  Provide a link in the left hand column of the grotto, for anyone with the "edit users" superuser flag to add an IP to the ban list.

2]  List banned IP's in a list format, rather than as a continuous string.  This will make it easier for someone with very old eyes, like Talisman, to discern individual IP's.

3]  Rename this module ipblocker, or something else more generic, and add it to the core.
seekey
Codemeister

Demon to some but Angel to others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:20:13 AM »

hm, you now that you can set a ban with the core functions?

The bblocker has a setting, to also don't let permanent banned persons on your server and you will get an e-mail if they are trying to do.

In my opinion, that what you want to do (anyone with "edit users" superuser flag can ban permanently IP Adresses) is exact what the ban function does.

And it is much easier, because you can reach it from everywhere out of the game via the user editor. It doesn't make any sense for me to implement a new module.

And last but not least, I don't think that XChrisX will change or modify anything to this, because he is not active here since a couple of months. But I remember, that in the module he has written something about futured fuctions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:32:08 AM by seekey » Logged
Chewie
Captain of the Guard

Ignore this.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »

One of the advantages of the bblock is that you can ban an IP BEFORE an undesirable visits your site.  It even comes with several IP's already plugged in that are known to the community to be a nuisance.  As far as xchrisx goes, he does come and go, but the beauty of open source is that anyone can offer modifications.
Nightborn
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 05:28:45 AM »

XChrisX comes and goes? where?

@Ip banning

If you NEVER want to hit somebody your page, the bblocker is even not suitable.

Use:
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~sampieri/freefaq/g_htaccess.shtml#samples

a htaccess file.

oh, IP banning is not THAT effective.
IPs change.

Try email banning. Much more effective as he/she does need a new email all the time =)
Chewie
Captain of the Guard

Ignore this.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:38:04 AM »

XChrisX comes and goes? where?

I dunno...surprisingly enough, he doesn't feel the need to share his whereabouts with me.

Try email banning. Much more effective as he/she does need a new email all the time =)
Yes, I do that too.  Many thanks for that little gem!  I'll look into the other method you suggested.  Thanks NB!
seekey
Codemeister

Demon to some but Angel to others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »

I think a good combination of all possibilities should be the best way. After some thinking about chewies idea, I can agree with that. But the most efficent using of this module would a automatic update of known ip adresses from an official side.

Maybe this could be something to work on. It don't have to be only for the module but a branden newsletter or something could be a good beginning to actualise http.access files.

I am using the bblocker module too and don't have to insert much ip's. Mostly i'll ban the users and then there is silence. But maybe we are not great enough for real trouble.
Nightborn
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:01:46 AM »

Out of 20 tries, a certain person did *login* to the game just once.
And that was an error as I wrote something which should be case-insensitive case-sensitive...

=) so you see, he/she/it is in fact powerless and can't do anything.
(except, with very bad spelling, talk big)

A combination will prove good enough for a small fry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
21 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search