• December 18, 2018, 10:04:04 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Module Removal from DP  (Read 3984 times)
Elessa
Faerie
Mod God

short, sweet and to the point

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2005, 09:31:04 AM »

:sits with an arched brow as she watches with interest as a number of modules are removed from the shared folders on dragonprime

most interesting...

i doth believe i witness the beginning of the end of dragonprime being a community and central location for the modules created for the game.  ostensibly due to a desire to know the download count of the modules created.  couldn't this have waited until the new portal alluded to by talisman been installed? perhaps it will provide such functionality.  or is there yet another cause/reason for such to occur?

what happens now? will others of ye now pull thy work from here? will it only be modules for 9.7?  how will any find them? six months from now those threads with "UPDATED LINKS" will be long buried and forgotten. (yea, i know the search function...but we hath seen some rather densely incapable users lately)

tis sad really...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 09:37:21 AM by Elessa » Logged

Uuma ma ten rashwe, ta tuluva a lle

Play the latest beta version here on LoGD DragonPrime - Axebridge
Sichae
iMod God
SVN Users
Mod God

If ya didn't get it by now... you're hopeless...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 09:33:49 AM »

I have also noted this, and will/still continue to keep my modules on DP. I really don't want to host them off of my machine, because I really care not for bragging rights, as much as I can see my modules on other people's server. That is gratification enough.

The new portal is supposed to be Alpha testing at around this time, and a download count (Like the one for the 97 mods already on here) should be incorporated into it.

If you didn't understand anything in the above post, don't try to attempt anything suggested.

lonnyl
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 09:40:47 AM »

And I will continue to use the site as well...... I simply was having a difficult time managing all of my modules in the shared folder and also wanted to know how much certain modules are being used.  You would not believe how many 0.9.7 modules that had broken links (for some reason my files were no longer there).   If you look.... many others host their own files.   This by no means is a sign of the end of dragonprime.... simply me changing my downloads to a different area.  This site has been a huge help to many out there, and I by no means want to diminish the importance of it.....

Please do not get the wrong idea.....
lonnyl
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 09:50:21 AM »

I really don't want to host them off of my machine, because I really care not for bragging rights, as much as I can see my modules on other people's server. That is gratification enough.

Ouch.... not looking for bragging rights.... just curious.... and with our new portal I am capable of hosting my own files much better than I was before.   Guess I am a little disturbed by the first 2 posts....  Huh
Sichae
iMod God
SVN Users
Mod God

If ya didn't get it by now... you're hopeless...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 09:55:40 AM »

Ouch.... not looking for bragging rights.... just curious.... and with our new portal I am capable of hosting my own files much better than I was before.   Guess I am a little disturbed by the first 2 posts....  Huh

Ack, I am really sorry. That came off kinda brash. I really didn't mean it like that. I am just a little perturbed over the last few days events in real life, and I am trying to stay calm, but it just leaks out some times.

If you didn't understand anything in the above post, don't try to attempt anything suggested.

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 10:52:48 AM »

The new portal won't automatically include the features I and the rest of the community want in the download manager, but the code is significantly different from the existing portal.  I would rather delay development of what we need (because I've yet to find anything that comes close) until the new code is available to save doing it twice needlessly.

The mod I've installed here to permit users to share their files is really quite a hatchet job and leaves much to be desired - but it does work at a basic level.

Regardless of where people choose to host their files, DragonPrime still serves the essential service of being a central point of announcing, discussing, troubleshooting and supporting mods and LotGD.

No, I sincerely doubt this is the beginning of the end.  Just one user doing some file management for sanity's sake.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 10:59:46 AM by Talisman » Logged

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
lonnyl
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 11:03:34 AM »

Regardless of where people choose to host their files, DragonPrime still serves the essential service of being a central point of announcing, discussing, troubleshooting and supporting mods and LotGD.

No, I sincerely doubt this is the beginning of the end.  Just one user doing some file management for sanity's sake.

Thanks, Tal.... I couldn't have said it any better myself.....
Dannic
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

I don't know if DP has lots of traffic or not but there are times when it becomes really slow for me.

Posting the modules here and hosting them elsewhere doesn't mean you aren't contributing to the DP community.  It means that you probably have lots of modules and want to keep some of the bandwidth that DP uses for things other than downloading.

I have several sites and have contemplated the same thing Lonny has done.  If I continue to have connection problems I will probably do the same thing lonny has done.

And I am also curious as to how many people dl the modules I make.  Mostly to see if what I am doing people like or not.

Either way it will free up some bandwidth from DP while keeping it the same central place for people to go for information into LotGD.
Dannic
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 03:07:12 PM »

Thinking about it a bit more this looks like it might be a real good way for me to go as well.

It will free up some room and bandwidth for those who don't have a place to upload files they make for LotGD while still making any mods I make available for others as well.  They will move over as I update them or fix bugs.
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 03:15:33 PM »

Diskspace and bandwidth aren't really issues as we're not even close to maxing out here. If that's your sole logic for moving them elsewhere, the I wouldn't worry about it.

Unfortunately I can't provide both stats tracking AND user file management at this time, without giving all users access to everyone else's files...which I'd rather not do.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Arune
Mod God

Arune Vai - khatfield

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 05:07:25 PM »

Well in that case I'll leave all of my files here and just store changed /small change files on my box. Is it possible we could at some point have an area to post..

Here is soandso.php (Core) I have made this change etc.

Link to offsite: (here)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online