• July 23, 2019, 06:26:25 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acceptable Ideas  (Read 12291 times)
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 08:29:46 PM »

*ding*

Both of you get back to your corners.  If you can't discuss the game's further development without getting so hostile, find another place to do it.  Otherwise, get constructive.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Forge
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »

*ding*

Both of you get back to your corners.  If you can't discuss the game's further development without getting so hostile, find another place to do it.  Otherwise, get constructive.

Well, its a good thing you stepped in here Talisman. I was just about to pull out my Sword of ass-cleaving +6.
enderwiggin
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 09:30:02 PM »

Forge,

You asked a question, and it was answered.

Is it possible to remove the link to Seth?  Yes.
Is it possible to expand past the core rules?  Yes.
Is it possible to powergame past level 15? Yes.

Why are you arguing?  If you feel the game can be improved by such changes, then go ahead (so long as you follow the license).  No one is stopping you.

However, if you want others to support and help you in your efforts, perhaps you should try and convince people how the game might be better in your vision other than claiming to cleave people'a asses.

Personally, I think the core rules are becomming flexible via hooks, while remaining stable enough for everyone to have a ground zero to work from.  When people develop modules, they are trying to create something that will have balance and work for several people.   (Or they are making their module for themselves, and no one else, in which case they really aren't part of a discussion of furthing the game community development).  It's hard to create great modules, or further a game if everyone is playing by completely different rules.

In that regard, I think we should have a centralized set of core rules.  Those core rules change with each release.  The community does get to add content to the releases.  If you think you can suggest a way to change the game for the better, then code it up, and release it here.  Maybe you will see it released in a core release some day.
Elessa
Faerie
Mod God

short, sweet and to the point

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 10:05:09 PM »

:tucks a strand of unruly hair behind her ear as she arches a brow in amazement at the vituperative commentary

my, my, forge. ye had a single player comment that the game is not fun and was dismayed to slay the dragon in two rounds. how he managed that as a farmcreature i am rather intrigued to discover. however, be that as it may, ye mean to tell me the 5000 players on the central server don't know how bad they have it playing such a vanilla game.

this game is written with code in module format. ye are free to build upon the core to make the game whate'er ye within the scope of the license requirements.

if ye are not happy with the core of this game, by all means, go write thy own separate game with its own core that suits the vision ye have. no one is stopping ye.

also, as for thy commentary regarding the appropriate placement of discussion of modules, it is not possible to talk about the future of the development of the game WITHOUT discussing modules, nor would creating a separate thread for modules make sense.

i am rather certain that talisman has a pretty good idea of what to post where on this site and maintains this forum rather well.  

take a look around at the community here.  there are some mighty creative minds at work.

thy making a remark with regard to the age and qualification of one of the most prolific coders was rather unnecessary, arrogant and uncalled for on thy part.

as was thy comment regarding wielding a sword of ass-cleaving. shall i peruse my arsenal of weaponry to locate one in defense of what i am sure ye wish to swing in my direction as well as others. i am certain my claymore of damascus steel in a ladder hammer pattern and set with the bronze pommel and rondel on a malachite hilt will do me just fine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:21:04 PM by Elessa » Logged

Uuma ma ten rashwe, ta tuluva a lle

Play the latest beta version here on LoGD DragonPrime - Axebridge
enderwiggin
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 10:23:10 PM »

No dai-katana?
Kendaer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 11:12:40 PM »

Forge, I've read what you and the others have written.

I'm going to be blunt, as is my usual wont, so take it as you like.

The core, as it stands, is extensible.  It gives those people who have the intelligence, wit, creativity and desire the chance to extend it to further their dreams and goals and desires in what this game should be.  The core has and will continue to improve.   I resent your implication that it is a 'pale copy' of anything as that is dismissing the more than a year of hard work that I alone have put into this code base and the much longer time that Eric has put into it.

You don't like there being only 15 levels.  Okay.. you can modify your copy of the core to change that.  The code is under the CC 2.0 license.  You are free to make any changes your little heart desires as long as you provide those changes back to the community.  Period.   Personally, I believe that part of the charm and addiction of the game lends from the fact that it IS limited in scope.  I don't *want* to write everquest or some other infinitely expanding game.  I've done that.  I wanted and Eric wanted to create a game which had the feel and flavor of LoRD while being it's own creature.  I'd dare say we have achieved that.

Now, I'm going to say to you something I've said to many others.   Show us the code.  You have ideas.  You don't (yet) have any credibility in this community because so far you are all talk and no do.  You want us to respect and inspect and cogitate on your ideas, then give us something concrete.   Until you do that, you're blowing smoke.

Have a good day.
SaucyWench
Mod God

I'm a good girl.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 02:40:39 AM »

I find it interesting that the game is apparently a bland copy of LORD. I find it more interesting still that there isn't anything new in it. Please feel free to look at my signature; every single one of those is my work, every single one of those is in the core distribution file, and lo and behold I have never even SEEN LORD.

SaucyWench
Owner of GemDust.com and Darton City proudly hosted by LunarPages
enderwiggin
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 02:54:25 AM »

Wow.

LoRD is definately worth playing if you never have.  Lord had hundreds of in-game-modules, much like LotGD's module system.  Each Lord game was fairly unique.

Many telnet BBSes still run LoRD.
lonnyl
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 06:17:30 AM »

I'll keep this short and simple....

There is a reason that LORD was so popular.
There is a reason that LOtGD is so popular.

I can say that I have been through a couple of thousand (played for more than 6 months) ACTIVE players and very few have complained about the game being too easy.  There are a great many things (including and especially modules) that can and do reward you and add new things after multiple dragon kills.  I would like to see (and believe I will) more modules that are dragon kill dependant, so that as one levels up the realm changes and offers more and new things.  The module system is allowing one a great deal of contol over the look and feel of each game.  

I do believe that the dragon could have a game settings section for those who would like to make it stronger (and this may be a good solution for those who want to make it tougher).   Anyway I am getting away from short and simple... nuff said.
XChrisX
Global Moderator
Mod God

Be aware of the squirrel!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 07:57:56 AM »

I do believe that the dragon could have a game settings section for those who would like to make it stronger (and this may be a good solution for those who want to make it tougher).   Anyway I am getting away from short and simple... nuff said.

In fact, that is already easy makeable... there's the modulehook buffdragon, right before the start of the BigBoss fight... with the right module hooking in there you can make the dragon appear to you like a little bay on DK=1 and the the most evil creature imaginable on DK=20 and even go beyond that... So, if your players complain about bosses being too easy to be worth noticing - make them harder! Smiley

Running for more than three years now:
enderwiggin
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 08:10:40 AM »

Don't you have a mod on your game to make the dragon tougher?
XChrisX
Global Moderator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 09:30:34 AM »

ehm... yes Smiley

but it still has to be tuned a little... Smiley

And I want some surprises built in... for now it just raises the dragon's hitpoints significantly depending on your dk-level...

(my last dragon had 2500 hitpoints... that's tough... Smiley )

enderwiggin
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 09:33:30 AM »

I'd love to see it when you're done.  Looking at your game makes me salivate.

I haven't even played it yet, (can you play in English?) but the mod list (balance PvP, RPG mods, buff the dragon, questing system) all sound great.

That's exactly the type of game I want to run.   Balanced, challening, fun, and with a bit of role-playing and questing.
XChrisX
Global Moderator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »

to prevent unreasonable spammin ( Tongue ) I sent you some PMs on that Shocked

Forge
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »

After looking over the MODS that I'm running here, and trying to decide how I would go about expanding on the game without hacking the core code, i landed on an idea that uses the elements in the core, and some of the MODS that have been released for the game by the best coders involved.
This would require using the Cities and World Map, Abandoned Castle, Trader MOD and Portable Potions.
Somewhere in the world using the World Map a Dungeon is created. It will appear to be a cave , in the back of which is an ornate door that has no handle or key hole. The door will be closed to a player until they have their first DK. Once they get a DK, they will find the door opened, and inside they will meet a spirit. The spirit guardian of the catacombs that lie beyond in the lower levels of the dungeon. There will be 9 levels, that require 9 DK's to unlock. The ninth level will be the goal of the MOD. On the ninth plane of Hell you will encounter Asmodeus.  He is a God, and will only be defeated by a player that has aquired powerful potions, scrolls and enchanted weapons/armor (which need to be added in the module). I was thinking that after consecutive DK's, artifacts of greater power will be able to be weilded by players, giving them the ability to drive deeper into Hell on each attempt after a DK. Each level of Hell will be populated by a Boss that will hold items that will be used against the next Boss in the lower level.
If a player suceeds in defeating Asmodeus, they will be informed by Asmodeus that they are now the keepers of the Underworld. The player becomes the Prince of Hell, and will be sought after, and attacked by everyone in the game. The login page will reflect whom the current Prince of Darkness is. Their name and duration of reign will be listed on a plaque located just outside of the cave mouth when you approach the entrance.
Now all that has to be figured out is what would the King/Queen of Hell do while they reign that would make that aspect of the game interesting enough to warrant going after it and keeping the title.
Permissions for using / modifing the different MODS that I have mentioned by the respective authors will need to be procured.  Any code that cannot be used, modified must be written from scratch and may hinder the use of currently installed modules that may conflict with such a MOD. Keeping the Core code intact  and unaltered, and avoiding complications with existing Modules, and using them when installed is a must.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
88 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search