• June 16, 2019, 01:38:12 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Template: Hypertext - A basic foundation for building more modern templates  (Read 1991 times)
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

Meow! :3

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »

Hi all!  I just spent a day pulling apart the Jade template and studying some of the other stock templates that Blarg hammered out, in attempt to lay the groundwork for a more modern template design.  The idea is simple: hypertext.htm contains page structure only and hypertext.css controls everything else from the layout, images, etc.  Long past are the days that websites are constructed from a mosaic of nested tables with hard coded design elements: say hello to the future with Web2.0!  Or, well, at least something closer since the game code itself still spits out a lot of unnecessary tables and whatnot.

Currently is useable on mobile but I haven't nailed down the scaling, this project has sort of been to get back on the HTML/CSS bike so there are probably bugs, I only barely know what I'm doing lol.

Screenshot:

Give it a spin if you like, and let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:28:54 PM by BombChel » Logged
artti
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50:22 PM »

Looks good, I like colours and such. If that blue link colour would be something more eye friendly, then it would be perfect template because of modern web standards.
TGTarheel
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:36:33 PM »

OK, so I downloaded it and uploaded it.  Guess I need to try looking t the code, I never have been good at templates.
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »

Thank you for the responses!  I'm still futzing with it, certainly not ready for a full release; the link colors are just plain ol default html colors so yea I'll fix that for sure.

Last night I spent a little while trying to css up some columns so nav is on the left and stats are on the right but this layout was being fickle so I may not end up actually using this specifically as a starting point for anything, BUT I will polish this up more to be released, perhaps as a potential replacement for the Console template.  Stay tuned!
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »

So, I've spent a good chunk of the last couple days diving into Bootstrap, a VERY comprehensive CSS framework for making responsive pages.  I've completely redone the previous attempt and put a good amount of work into making a very basic console-style responsive template.

Full screen on desktop nets you a modest 3 column layout you will probably find familiar:

Smaller screens or resizing a desktop window will rearrange the Nav-Links below the page content, followed by the charinfo table:

It's not perfect, but shouldn't take too much more work to be able to officially submit to the download archive! Attached is the current build if you'd like to give it a try!  Let me know what you think?
Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »

Good to see another template not follow the '90s design pattern of organizing with tables.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5

A new server in the making...
pharis
Militia

Take this it's dangerous to go alone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 05:25:00 AM »

i miss the graphics there ( i know that there are of course accessability concerns with graphics , but i still miss them thou )  ... looks a bit too dark. Do you have any others ?
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 03:50:37 PM »

I finally got back around to putting some finishing touches on the template, and I think it's basically ready for submitting to the downloads archive!  It still has some small hiccups but a lot of those elements I can't do a lot about as they are hard coded by the game.  If you try it out, please let me know if you notice any other bugs or quirks I should mess around with!

Full resolution on Desktop:

Mobile resolutions:

Notable Changes:
  • Title and Subtitle scale according to viewport size, with min and max caps
  • Cleaned up and rearranged the footer elements
  • Added styling for Popup windows
  • Fixed how the User Editor/Petitions element is displayed (only visible with superuser privs)

i miss the graphics there ( i know that there are of course accessability concerns with graphics , but i still miss them thou )  ... looks a bit too dark. Do you have any others ?

Accessibility isn't actually that much of a concern in this case, although it should work pretty well with a screenreader as-is; this template is meant to be like the barest of bones basic reactive template.  It can easily be modified with images, and with proper accessibility considerations still be perfectly disability friendly.  It's dark because it's much easier on the eyes with the default "colours," honestly; I could make a light version but I'd have to finagle with the "colours" to prevent eye strain on a light background and tbh that's beyond the scope of what I want to do for this template >.>;;
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:05:16 AM »

After messing with a branch of the template with theming for a server I'm working on, realized that I hadn't added the navhighlights!  Updated to reflect this change, plus I adjusted the sizes and breakpoints for the three main columns as I noticed the navlist and sidepanel were off-center at some resolutions.

Should be good to go for use with any server!  Let me know if you give it a whirl, and feel free to share any comments or complaints!
marjanovich
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »

Before I get scared of a new temple badnav... Do you have a live preview? So we can watch the fun unfold?

Destroying well written code since 1978'
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »

Sadly rn I don't have a public server set up, I've only been developing locally.  My fiance has been trying to convince me to host from home but I... dunno about that, seems risky.  FWIW so far in my experimenting I haven't run into any badnavs, none that I could attribute to the template at least.  Also, pretty sure it's standard practice to have more than one superuser account for logd for such situations
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »

- I don't recommend hosting from home unless you're expert level at locking down your system against external threats and abusers.  There's a lot to it.
- Use a second installation of your game on your home system as a test server so you can try new things and recover easily if they don't work
- ALWAYS have a second admin/superuser account available for your access in the event something happens to your primary account. 
- NEVER give top level superuser to anyone you don't trust explicitly!

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Annunakitty
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »

Ok!  I think I've hammered out most of the things that looked like bugs to me, as well as I'd forgotten about styling tables other than the vital stats display.  I had to make some concessions to make the baked-in tables (like Weaponry/Armory purchasing, Game Setup Info, etc) responsive to display sizes, which should only adversely effect some Grotto tables like the Module settings list.  Since there's not really classes or IDs in most of the tables there's not a lot I can do about this bug with just a template, but fortunately shouldn't be noticeable by anything player-facing.

Considering making a light version though I don't really want to have to adjust the colours manually so they aren't eye-bleeding on a white/light background.  If there ends up being more demand for it I guess I'd give it a shot, otherwise pretty sure this is ready to be posted in the submissions forum!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:53:53 PM by Annunakitty » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online