• April 19, 2019, 02:09:21 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suggestion to create a Wonka-challenge, based on the Medallion Contest?  (Read 1516 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »

Hi, I recently watched the film "Charlie and the chocolate factory", in which Mr. Willy Wonka launched a contest to win access to his famous factory. I don't know if it's possible for a game to have multiple contest running on their site? But mostly the contests are limited in time. I was thinking about a contest in which there are only 5 tickets to get access, hidden in sweets wrappings. An user can access the contest by buying a newspaper for +-5 gold. After the player bought the newspaper, he or she can start to search for chocolate bars. You only can find or buy one bar per day (a bar costs as much as a regular sweet, but isn't counted as a sweet), if you buy one, there will be a little child asking you for the bought bar, helping the child raises alignment, not helping =punishment; if the child unwraps the chocolate bar, it gives the wrapper to you. You also can find one wrapper per day. In the game, only 5 players can get access to the factory of Wonka, that's the prize.  The factory of Wonka could be a place for beta testing, or eventually another sweets shop, or an extra entrance to the existing sweets shop. If you want me to think of a real Wonka factory game: than being greedy will be punished, not obeying Wonka's instructions will be punished, too. What do you think of this suggestion? Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:55:56 PM »

Well in theory, just about anything is possible, you just have to know how to get there.

In answer to your initial question, yes it is possible to have more than one contest running at a time.  The better question is...how many do you want going at the same time?  Don't want to overwhelm players (yeah, I should talk, right??)

BUT...all that aside...

So...to start with, you need a player to buy access in - so you need a lace for them to do that, a village shop or a forest event...I think village shop is better.

SO...now you set a player pref to YES (bought newspaper)...now they are either able to buy the one chocolate bar per day, or find one in, say a village or forest event.

When they find one, you have an event that finds it...and checks if there is a golden ticket.

So now you set a pref for YES found a bar today.  and either YES or NO if they got a golden ticket.

If they got a ticket, then you increment a module SETTING.  When this reaches five, nobody will be able to buy in or find/buy bars.

NOW...once you have all five, then the village shop opens to the five players who have one (check for the player pref)

And then you do whatever you want inside that village shop.

So that is the basics of how you would do it...so if anyone wants to, that's a head start.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:13:30 AM »

I was thinking of such contest, because I often have no much time during the limited time of medallion contest to search for medallions. I would suggest to follow the procedure you described above. I also would programm the module so that it can be themed otherwise: Wonka theme or some other chosen theme. But I think you understood the principles of what I was thinking about. I also would use a village shop as point to start, I also would it make possible to make a section in the preferences, so that an user can see if he found a wrapper of chocolate bar (like you have a rune scavenging setting). If someone of you needs me to write the scenario, you can send me a mail and we can discuss the issue by mail in detail. Thanks in advance. Best, WW
ps: a first draft for a possible Scenario:

The Kiosk

You enter the kiosk and see that there are many sweets and some newspapers in store. You read the headline of the nearest newspaper:

"FIVE CHILDREN ALLOWED TO ENTER WILLY WONKA'S FACTORY"

the lady behind the counter smiles at you and tells you an interesting story about this rumor.

"Yes my dear. Willy Wonka, the famous chocolatier who has closed his factory for many years, permits five lucky children to visit the factory. They may visit every corner of the factory and see how the sweets and chocolate bars are produced nowadays. If you buy a newspaper, you can read the story for yourself and perhaps try to enter the factory."

You ponder if you want to enter the Wonka Challenge or not.
The lady continues:

"A newspaper costs 5 gold."

You look in your gold purse and decide:

"No, I don't buy a newspaper."

The lady waves you goodbye.

"I buy a newspaper"

The lady takes the gold and hands you a newspaper.

You unfold the newspaper and read the story about the Wonka challenge.
"Five golden tickets are hidden in the wrappers of five Wonka Bars. They could be everywhere. When the five golden tickets are found, the challenge is over and the five lucky players who found a golden ticket, can enter Wonka's Factory for x weeks." So, go and search for chocolate bars, or buy one at the Kiosk. You can find or buy one single chocolate bar per game-day."

You ask the lady how much a chocolate bar costs.

"Well, my dear, a bar costs as much as a sweet at the regular shop. You surely can search for bars, then they are free. You also can try to search for a wrapper outside the shop or look in the dustbin outside the shop, but be carefull while looking in the bin. This can be a smelly mess."

(if player has bought a newspaper earlier during the Wonka challenge:

You enter the kiosk and see that there are many sweets and some newspapers in store. You read the headline of the nearest newspaper:

"THE FIRST/SECOND/THIRD/FOURTH/FINAL GOLDEN TICKET HAS BEEN FOUND."

You unfold the earlier bought newspaper and read the continued story about the Wonka challenge.
"There are still four/three/two golden tickets hidden in the wrappers of four/three/two Wonka Bars. They could be everywhere. When the five golden tickets are found, the challenge is over and the five lucky players who found a golden ticket, can enter Wonka's Factory for x weeks." So, go and search for chocolate bars and wrappers, or buy a chocolate bar at the Kiosk. You can find or buy one single chocolate bar (or wrapper) per game-day." Wrappers only can be found.

If the five tickets are found, the newspaper reads:

"The final golden ticket has been found. Now, the challenge is over. The following five players have access to Wonka's Factory: x x x x x.  these five lucky players can enter Wonka's Factory for x weeks."

Possibility: if one of the lucky players can't enter the factory during the limited time (holiday, ...) he or shee can decide to gift the golden ticket to a clan member who was unsuccessfull.

Buying / finding a chocolate bar":
You look at the chocolate bars and decide to buy one. You just found a chocolate bar. As you have bought / found the chocolate bar, a skinny boy taps on your arm. He looks hungry, nearly starving.

"Please, madam/sir, can I have the chocolate bar in your hand? I haven't eaten for almost 2 days."

What would you do?

a: Give the chocolate bar to the skinny boy:

Smiling, you hand the boy the chocolate bar. He looks thankfully and unwraps the bar. He hands you back the wrapper and you see an ordinary wrapper/a golden ticket.

effect: increase of good alignment.

b: Eat the chocolate bar yourself
You simply ignore the begging child and open the wrapper to eat the chocolate bar yourself. You look closely at the wrapper and see an ordinary wrapper/a golden ticket.

effect: decrease of good alignment.

Looking for chocolate bars or wrappers:

a: look in a bin:
You don't want to search all day for a wrapper, so you try your luck at the bin. You peer inside and suddenly are engulfed in a horrible stench. You lose a charm point and a turn.

b: look for chocolate bars or wrappers (like the current medallions)

Turn in the medallions should be changed to "turn in the chocolate bar wrappers"
Chocolate bars can't be turned in, if you find a bar, the little skinny child turns up to beg for it. see above.
If you have a wrapper that's not a golden ticket, you can chose to throw it in the bin (in Kiosk) or simply drop it. If you put the wrapper (not golden ticket) in the bin, you clean the mess of others and you get a charm; if you drop it, you cause some mess, a child sees you doing it and go and tell the villagers. You lose a charm.

If all tickets are found, the Kiosk changes into Wonka's factory or another shop. This factory or shop is only accessible for the players with the golden ticket.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:52:53 AM by Wolfsbanewillow » Logged

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
82 Guests, 2 Users
artti, Smirnov
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search