• October 19, 2018, 07:26:28 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: concerning the spelling bee  (Read 321 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2018, 02:31:34 AM »

Hi, I often encounter the spelling bee during gaming. But I found out that the questions become easy to answer if you can remember the order of the answers. I will copy an example:
"Choose

1)insuficient

2)insuficiant

3)insufficient

4)insufficiant

The Spelling Bee
Question One

Choose the correct spelling of the following word:

What is it called when you don't have enough of something?

1)insuficient
2)insuficiant
3)insufficient
4)insufficiant"
In this example, the correct answer is always 3.
I think it would be more challenging if the answers are randomly placed themselves; so you have to pay attention on how the answers are written down and not remember at which place the correct answer is.

I also would suggest to include more words. I personally always have difficulty with sincerely or exercise. It's possible I spelled them incorrectly. In French Exercise also exists and as soon as you see the words both in English and French, the confusion is starting. I suppose there are more difficult words in English.
In the current spelling bee game I easily can win the contest, and yes, it's frustrating to lose. But I like the idea of learning things while gaming.
Just a suggestion to make this sub-game more challenging.

Perhaps this is not possible to programm easily?

Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »

I'd leave that to the original programmer.  Should they ever decide to work on and update this module, I would the use the updated version.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:43:11 AM »

Well, if the coder of the original module is still active over here, please consider this as a request to update this module. If the original coder isn't active over here anymore, I suggest this as a new project? Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
Thorpe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:55 AM »

http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=9080

DaveS has retired, but looks like the updates could still be made by someone with available time.  Smiley
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »

http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=9080

DaveS has retired, but looks like the updates could still be made by someone with available time.  Smiley

Indeed.  And Dave helped me A LOT in my early days as an Admin and fledgling coder.  He debugged a lot of things for me, and taught me how other things work.

I am still nowhere NEAR that caliber of coder Dave was, but I am okay with that.  My coding is sometimes sloppy, but it DOES WORK...which, to my view, is the most important thing.

That said, I have not a lot of spare time myself at the moment.

But what suggestions have you got in mind for the spelling bee?  Maybe I can find some time or someone else can.

That said, the placement of the navigations...for the correct word...it seems as if that ought to be possible...and the idea is intriguing to me, actually.

Seems like a randomizer could be added to mix up the order of the navigations.

Incidentally, with four choices there are 24 possibilities of the order of 1,2,3 and 4 - I believe.

The thing would be...how to do this with a randomizer that does not involve doing the actual navigations 24 times?  I'd have to work on that.

One could assign a letter, say a thru x to represent 24 possibilities.  But how to do it so that the navigations lines appear only once...that is the trick.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:12:50 AM by TGTarheel » Logged
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:09:22 AM »

I posted the suggestions in the original post at the beginning of this topic: make the answers randomly placed and not in a fixed order, so that the correct one is not always at the same place in the series (see the example I gave above) and add some more difficult words like sincerely, necessary and exercise (it's possible I already misspelled them). Best, WW

Anharat
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:07:10 AM »

Assuming you have your answers in an array fetched from the database, just shuffle that array (any amount of answers possible) and pass the selected word in your navigation and check on the next page if the word in your navigation is the correct one. No idea what you were planing with printing all 24 (4!) possibilities.

~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online