• October 19, 2018, 06:44:48 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: forest and healing hut not available in hallowe'n village  (Read 338 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »

Hi I wonder why there's no forest and healing hut section in the hallowe'n village. Or is this depending on which game you're playing? I'm not sure if the hallowe'n village doesn't allow this sections, but I suppose that there are creepy creatures that can haunt such hallowe'en forests. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »

Hi I wonder why there's no forest and healing hut section in the hallowe'n village. Or is this depending on which game you're playing? I'm not sure if the hallowe'n village doesn't allow this sections, but I suppose that there are creepy creatures that can haunt such hallowe'en forests. Best, WW

This would be depending on what site you are playing on....and specifically, what town to which you refer.  Any site could theme any town as a "Halloween Town" - but if the town you refer to is Esoterra (or what I named Xanterra on my own site) this is an add-on town specifically known as the Ghost Town or Ghost Village.

The short answer is that the original programming and configuration on this module...does not allow for a fighting area to be attached to it, and since Healer's Huts normally appear in the Forest, rather than in-town (exception being the capital city, by default, named Degolburg) - this is why there is not fighting area or Healer's Hut accessible from this village (in the original, traditional and default configuration)

Now, the longer answer is below...

The way this is normally programmed, an Admin can choose to have always access to this town, or to restrict it, in that you need to get a Caravan Ticket to get there (on my site it is set for always-access)

As programmed, this town does not have a Forest at all, there is no fighting area outside of Esoterra, normally.  I added a fighting area, called The Desert, to my Ghost Town (Xanterra on my site.)

Additionally, the Healer's Hut normally shows in the Forest, not in villages (except for Degolburg, the capital city) in the original programming and configuration.

It is possible, through a module, to move Healer's Huts into villages instead of the Forest...or if you are an Admin/coder and know how, you can alter core code to bring Healer's Huts into some towns, as I did with Xanterra on my site (and I also did this with the ice Town, which I call Aurora Borealis.)

So it can be done, and it depends on the site on which you are playing...but, in it's original programming and configuration, the Ghost Town does not have a fighting area attached to it, and thus also does not have a Healer's Hut, since those are normally found in the Forest (with the noted exception of the capital city, Degolburg) - but some Admins, like me...have chosen to alter the core coding and program to make things happen that do not happen with default configuration.

I know that was very long, but that basically answers your question...if, as I think, the "Halloween Town" to which you refer is in fact Estoerra by defualt, which I named Xanterra...and which is actually known among Admins as the Ghost Town or Ghost Village.

This last bit is aimed more at fellow Admins:

I should note here that The Desert...is an add-on module here that can create a fighting area in a place where there is none...or replace any one town's traditional Forest with this different, theme-able fighting area.  You can then stock it with creatures that do or do not appear in other areas of the game.  So, if one wanted to take a Hogwarts theme, one might call such an area The Forbidden Forest, and then load it with the sorts of creatures that inhabit such a place.  And if you wanted to attach it to the Ghost Town, as I did...and you wanted to theme is as a creepy area, you might call it The Crypt, for example...and then stock it with things loke zombies, werewolves and ghouls.  It's actually really very easy to customize.

I went further, copying that module and renaming it so as to have a second themed fighting area, which I called The Tundra, and attached to my Ice Town,

It is normally meant to actually replace a Forest, but I was able to attach it to a town that did not have a Forest, and if you do it that way, you also have to account for Forest Events that would cause you to be transported back to The Forest instead of your special fighting area...which is a bit tricky.  In my case, I disabled all Forest Special Events in this fighting area to avoid this problem.

Anyway, that is a very long answer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:41:11 AM by TGTarheel » Logged
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 02:23:43 AM »

I indeed was talking aobout Esoterra or Xanterra (on your site) and I was not sure of it, but indeed you have a  desert in Xanterra on your site. The usual forest on the Harry-Potter-themed website I often visut, is already called "the forbidden forest" but there is a town in the hp-books in which a graveyard is mentioned: Little Hangleton was the hometown of Voldemort's father and grandparents, and Voldemort was reborn on the graveyard where his father was burried. There are cruel creatures in several books: a snake that's hidden in a death woman's corpse (hp-7), inferi (death people who are doing a dark wizard's bidding =hp-6), the elves that are described in the disk world series of Terry Pratchett, the icy creatures that are haunting the northern countries in the "song of ice and fire", ... Perhaps this desert or tundra should get more attention and perhaps needs some extra hallowe''n forest events specifically designed for this forest itself? If there's some interest, I surely can write some scenario's? You can mail me by using my gmail-account with more concrete info or questions what you need and I'll try to help. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »

I indeed was talking aobout Esoterra or Xanterra (on your site) and I was not sure of it, but indeed you have a  desert in Xanterra on your site. The usual forest on the Harry-Potter-themed website I often visut, is already called "the forbidden forest" but there is a town in the hp-books in which a graveyard is mentioned: Little Hangleton was the hometown of Voldemort's father and grandparents, and Voldemort was reborn on the graveyard where his father was burried. There are cruel creatures in several books: a snake that's hidden in a death woman's corpse (hp-7), inferi (death people who are doing a dark wizard's bidding =hp-6), the elves that are described in the disk world series of Terry Pratchett, the icy creatures that are haunting the northern countries in the "song of ice and fire", ... Perhaps this desert or tundra should get more attention and perhaps needs some extra hallowe''n forest events specifically designed for this forest itself? If there's some interest, I surely can write some scenario's? You can mail me by using my gmail-account with more concrete info or questions what you need and I'll try to help. Best, WW

Unfortunately, the way events trigger and then end, makes it literally about impossible to make it work right...at least, with my somewhat limited coding ability.

Incidentally, on my site, there is another reason why no special events trigger in the special fighting areas...it is by design, and has to do with my birds module.  Any more info on that would present the risk of revealing a game secret, so I won't, but know there IS a peripheral reason for the lack of events in the special fighting areas beyond a lack of ability to make the navigation at the end of an event work properly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:47:43 AM by TGTarheel » Logged
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:49 AM »

I see. Best, WW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
27 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search