• October 19, 2018, 06:45:28 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound in lotgd  (Read 862 times)
pharis
Militia

Take this it's dangerous to go alone

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:37:42 AM »

Hey dragonprimers. I have a question regarding the use of sound in lotgd or a similar project. Here it goes :

Would the game benefit from ambient sounds, music when in certain locations or during a battle ? How much would be too much and would be the right balance ? Should it be customizable or able to be switched off ?

:-)
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:56:17 AM »

Hey dragonprimers. I have a question regarding the use of sound in lotgd or a similar project. Here it goes :

Would the game benefit from ambient sounds, music when in certain locations or during a battle ? How much would be too much and would be the right balance ? Should it be customizable or able to be switched off ?

:-)

Some places do use sound; for example, new YoMs, new instant messages (on my server), new chat posts, games (I use sounds in my battleships module, for hits, misses, you turn, etc). I used to have the Doctor Who theme tune on the homepage for my old Who server (which could be muted).

It depends upon the server and the usage for such content; however, if it is put into use, it should most definitely come with an option to be switched off for each player.

pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:12:46 AM »

Yep but do you think that for example, a battle music track would be too much ?  Would it be too repetitive or annoying even if having more than one track for that ?

I am playing with ideas for mood , like you know when you are in the woods, one would hear bitds and stuff like that.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 05:22:58 AM »

Yep but do you think that for example, a battle music track would be too much ?  Would it be too repetitive or annoying even if having more than one track for that ?

I am playing with ideas for mood , like you know when you are in the woods, one would hear bitds and stuff like that.

Possible, due to the fact that playing the typical leveling system of LoGD requires too many consecutive clicks, and thus the music would keep starting and stopping.

You could always offer a popup window that could play the music uninterrupted, and change based on the user's location in their main window.

pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:51 AM »

I get from your answer that it could be used assuming it would not be interrupted by the clicks. How do you think are other typical lotgd players inclined to having sound effects in an otherwise mainly text game ?

Btw, ill try your server in order to see what you meant. 😏
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »

I get from your answer that it could be used assuming it would not be interrupted by the clicks. How do you think are other typical lotgd players inclined to having sound effects in an otherwise mainly text game ?

Btw, ill try your server in order to see what you meant. 😏

That's why I suggested a popup, that won't be affected by the clicks. I think most players are used to it being a click-only site with no sound, but some may be interested in music.

(And you can't, my personal server is closed for renovations.)

Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »

Rewriting combat to be modular and using JavaScript to handle the battle logic would be better. Popups would be annoying.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5

A new server in the making...
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »

Ya, there seems to be no workaround to javascript, nodejs and/or ajax for this to run smooth. :-)
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »

(And you can't, my personal server is closed for renovations.)

Oh... well ok :-D ill look at it later .
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »

FWIW, background music interferes with people who use screenreaders, so you might make a part of character creation, asking if the player uses a screenreader and then defaulting the music OFF for those players.
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »

But what about mood and ambiance ?  Is the problem you describe related to music being intrusive but not mood or is there any technical reason i am not aware of ? I chatted extensively with raiyndarren 2 years ago and she told me that mood and ambiance would be nice things to have. Not sure how you mean that .. oh and of course an option to disable music is a must :-)
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »

But what about mood and ambiance ?  Is the problem you describe related to music being intrusive but not mood or is there any technical reason i am not aware of ? I chatted extensively with raiyndarren 2 years ago and she told me that mood and ambiance would be nice things to have. Not sure how you mean that .. oh and of course an option to disable music is a must :-)

I have no first-hand experience with screenreaders.  I am told that the music can interfere with the user being able to hear the screenreader tell them what is on the screen.  I don't actually know, as I said, soince I have no actual experience using a screenreader.  I used to have background music both in the Gardens and in my Inn at Degolburg, and was told it was a problem...and I advised those players the sound could be turned off from preferences, but that it defaulted to being ON.

Am suggesting the default be set according to whether or not they are a screenreader user.  But again, no personal experience.  I took the music out of my site when I moved and upgraded to 1.1.2
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »

Ah, dang, of course ... the screen reader reads the text and thus music playing in the background would make it difficult to understand at all .. now that seems pretty obvious. sorry for that :-D
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »

Ah, dang, of course ... the screen reader reads the text and thus music playing in the background would make it difficult to understand at all .. now that seems pretty obvious. sorry for that :-D
Exactly.  That is what I am told by screenreader users, hence why I just took it out of my site when I upgraded.  If yo u want sounds, it should be defaulted to off for everyone, or at least defaulted off for screenreader users, if you wanted to add a step to your character creation so as to know and set the defaults accordingly.

Incidentally...off topic but also trying to create a template with colors that do not hurt the sensitive eyes of a player who has expressed this concern...apparently they have evry bad eyes, even worse than mine, though I am probably heading that same way...
Now I know I can monkey with templates and set up a template that would work for this person, just by changing the hex codes for colors in the specific template.  I am wondering, opinion, if a gray background, like Mist...would be a good one to use for this.  Thinking on just doubling up some of the more intense colors...changing hex codes to match.

They tell me bright red and blue hurt, and has a hard time reading dark red, blue, green, and brown.

Opinions, then...

the code for `1 and `! should be changed
the code for `@ and `2 should be changed
the code for `# should be changed
the codes for `4 and `$ should be changed
probably `5 and `% should be changed
probably `^ should be changed
and that would be the standard colors, anyway...I have more colors, I need to fool with this a bit...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:38:32 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
Brendan
I am Brendan.
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 12:05:58 PM »

Exactly.  That is what I am told by screenreader users, hence why I just took it out of my site when I upgraded.  If yo u want sounds, it should be defaulted to off for everyone, or at least defaulted off for screenreader users, if you wanted to add a step to your character creation so as to know and set the defaults accordingly.

Incidentally...off topic but also trying to create a template with colors that do not hurt the sensitive eyes of a player who has expressed this concern...apparently they have evry bad eyes, even worse than mine, though I am probably heading that same way...
Now I know I can monkey with templates and set up a template that would work for this person, just by changing the hex codes for colors in the specific template.  I am wondering, opinion, if a gray background, like Mist...would be a good one to use for this.  Thinking on just doubling up some of the more intense colors...changing hex codes to match.

They tell me bright red and blue hurt, and has a hard time reading dark red, blue, green, and brown.

Opinions, then...

the code for `1 and `! should be changed
the code for `@ and `2 should be changed
the code for `# should be changed
the codes for `4 and `$ should be changed
probably `5 and `% should be changed
probably `^ should be changed
and that would be the standard colors, anyway...I have more colors, I need to fool with this a bit...

I see you mention screen readers etc quite a lot. Although important and i'm sure help out the visually impaired a lot. It's not practical to build every single module, template, modification etc to fit everyone's needs. You can't please everyone. If something works for the majority, then that is who you should be building for, if you can have it work for the impaired etc then great but you shouldn't "not" do it if you can't.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:08:14 PM by Brendan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
28 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search