• July 16, 2018, 03:53:21 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade 1.1.0 to 1.1.2  (Read 1166 times)
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »

I have my test server working now, running 1.1.2 - and it would seem like everything in my modules that broke...has been fixed.

Of course I need to do some more testing, but it is now time to look at doing this...so that I am ready.

I do not see a download for an upgrade patch from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 or to 1.1.2

There is an upgrade patch from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2

Is it possible to jump from 1.1.0 direct to 1.1.2 or would I first need to upgrade to 1.1.1 - and what do I need to accomplish this?

Since I see no downloads for upgrade patches from 1.1.0
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »

No such patches exist because it should not be necessary for them to exist.

Nobody should be using 1.1.0, as 1.1.2 is the only supported version of the code.

Updating from a long-deprecated version is the fault, and therefore responsibility, of the site owner.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »

No such patches exist because it should not be necessary for them to exist.

Nobody should be using 1.1.0, as 1.1.2 is the only supported version of the code.

Updating from a long-deprecated version is the fault, and therefore responsibility, of the site owner.

Fine.  Then what would I actually do?  Since I already have the live site up and running...would I then just copy the 1.1.2 files into my existing server, which has a database...and run the installer?

As I already have a dbconnect file...would the installer simply over-write my old one?

Or would I need to just launch a new site from scratch, installing my existing database (since you have to put a database in first) and then run the installer THERE?

When I upgraded from 1.0.6 to 1.1.0 a patch existed and I used it.  Since so many here have been after me about this...and I am now showing willingness to upgrade, one would think someone would be willing to help me make it work.
Anharat
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:13:43 AM »

Not realy done this before, but this is about what I would do.

1. Export and Backup your live database and files
2. Import all (at least vital) information from the old database into the new one on your local test server
3. Inform your players that some recent progression (the last day or something) may be lost and that the site will go down for a couple of hours due to updating
4. Clean your server and upload your copy of 1.1.2
5. Run the installation process
6. Import your prepared local DB into the new live server

If your local DB is good enough prepared you might even skip installation and create the dbconnect manually.

Like I said that's only what I would do and there might be something missing which I'm not thinking about right now.
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:42:21 AM »

Not realy done this before, but this is about what I would do.

1. Export and Backup your live database and files
2. Import all (at least vital) information from the old database into the new one on your local test server
3. Inform your players that some recent progression (the last day or something) may be lost and that the site will go down for a couple of hours due to updating
4. Clean your server and upload your copy of 1.1.2
5. Run the installation process
6. Import your prepared local DB into the new live server

If your local DB is good enough prepared you might even skip installation and create the dbconnect manually.

Like I said that's only what I would do and there might be something missing which I'm not thinking about right now.

Thanks.
I am not yet ready to do this, because I am testing a few more things.  But want to be prepared for what I would do.

Is there some reason why I could not leave my existent database in the server and just clean out everything else?

You have to have a database first, anyway, in order to run the installer, right?

Of course I would back up the database before I did anything.
Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »

Is there some reason why I could not leave my existent database in the server and just clean out everything else?

You have to have a database first, anyway, in order to run the installer, right?

I think you misunderstood Anharat just a little bit. He is not saying to leave the database on the server,  'clean the server' here means to wipe everything. You can actually skip the installer outright and just write a dbconnect.php file if you already have a compatible* populated database ready to access - the installer is only there to populate an empty database and write the connection info.

* I am not sure if the 1.1.0 database structure is the same as 1.1.2's - which would make it incompatible.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:10:53 AM by Stephen.Kise » Logged

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »

I think you misunderstood Anharat just a little bit. He is not saying to leave the database on the server,  'clean the server' here means to wipe everything. You can actually skip the installer outright and just write a dbconnect.php file if you already have a compatible* populated database ready to access - the installer is only there to populate an empty database and write the connection info.

* I am not sure if the 1.1.0 database structure is the same as 1.1.2's - which would make it incompatible.

I think I found a few places where the databases are not compatible.

Notably, in Creatures.  1.1.2 has a place for Creature A.I. and 1.1.0 does not.
When I dropped my table on my test server, so that I could import my existing creatures table...it worked, and my creatures are there...but now I cannot use the Creature Editor, and I have to edit creatures directly in PHPMyAdmin...which is not a huge problem, but it's there.

I just need to know a way to upgrade my site where my players do not lose everything they have gained.

And without having to manually copy everything, one at a time, from the old database to a new database.

As I said...what I did on my test server DID work...but of course I now have no way to add any A.I. features to my creatures...though I confess to not knowing what that field is for or is capable of doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
30 Guests, 0 Users