• December 18, 2018, 10:00:31 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: destroying alt characters with a will  (Read 2084 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

I hope this is the correct place for posting this idea and perhaps this is already available or not possible. But I have a main account and an alt character. But before I want to get rid of my alt character, I prefer to empty it first. Currently I can't invest gems or gold into my clan or house. But what about the following concept:

Suppose that an alt could have a will, so that all gold, gems etc. could be gifted to someone, eventually when some conditions are fulfilled? I e.g. would give away the gold to the firstyears that are sorted in the same house and they could get 5000 gold each extra to the gold they get from start. Gems: the same: 1 gem extra to the ones they normally get when registered and sorted in the same house as the alt is. Hitpoints the alt bought or got: my main account can get them if it reaches the same amount of experience the alt has at the moment of the will declaration. I would do this with hig exp. level, so that the primary account don't get such gift easily. The every flavour beans that are in the  alt account should be gifted to a good friend on the game that offered me many help. the main account doesn't use these beans within raffles. ... and so on. I surely won't disturb the balance of the game, that's why I would give gold and gems to firstyears who are in need of these things for buying good gear and mount. After the will is signed by the alt, I would give the alt the possibility to change the username and become a creature in the forest. If alt is bad, it becomes a bad creature that can be slain in the forest; good ones become good creatures or characters in forest. What do you think about the idea of letting the users destroy their own alts with will possibilities? Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
Daenerys
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »

Being familiar with Hogwartslive, I can only say this:

If the admins wanted chars to have 10K gold, they would have given it. This sounds like a loophole for people to go around that limitation. Perhaps I' not understanding correctly, but I don't see how this is not a game imbalance, especially if one alt sets a will for another who sets a will for another, etc etc...
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:26:50 PM »

Being familiar with Hogwartslive, I can only say this:

If the admins wanted chars to have 10K gold, they would have given it. This sounds like a loophole for people to go around that limitation. Perhaps I' not understanding correctly, but I don't see how this is not a game imbalance, especially if one alt sets a will for another who sets a will for another, etc etc...

I agree. For the most part, characters should be separate in their leveling and currency gain, and it's meant to be hard for first-timers to level. This is definitely gaming the system.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:57 AM »

I have to agree.  Game balance is tough to achieve.  I tried very hard to balance mine...so that it is NOT so hard that people ragequit or get bored...but also so that it is NOT a "gimme game" at any level.

I have players with 300 - 700 DK that can get killed...it is still possible.

More to the point, as an Admin...I HATE ALTS.  Most Admins do...and for precisely this reason.  Likewise, because a lot of people create alts in order to anonymously start stuff...and not in a good way.

I do not think you will find any support for this idea.  I would not do it.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 01:00:42 AM »

More to the point, as an Admin...I HATE ALTS.  Most Admins do...and for precisely this reason.  Likewise, because a lot of people create alts in order to anonymously start stuff...and not in a good way.

The primary reason that people create alts to portray different characters in roleplay. That is, they do on the right sites.

Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:11:12 AM »

I see. Thanks for the opinions. But on some sites with games you can borrow gold and gems from your clan vault and use this to buy good gear as a firstyear, or you start with a good amount of gold/gems that allows you directly to buy good armor and weapon after leveling. On other sites I saw a character that constructed a dwelling so that firstyears could get enough gold to buy a good mount and other gear. They simply used the ways to do this legally. The person with the dwelling was not helping it's alts, but other firstyears. It was not my intention to create loopholes to imbalance the game; I was just thinking how to let the user destroy their alts without losing gold, gems, ... and let other users have the profit of it. If hl would have a house vault or clan vault or if there were other ways to invest the contents of the alt in the house or clan, e.g. creating something for the house or main account that can't be sold by the main account (deimos Haberdashy's hats can't be sold, but you also can't create a hat for someone else) this also could be a solution. Just some ideas. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:49 AM »

Put in a site rule, saying you can petition in to get your stats transferred. Solved.

If hl would have a house vault or clan vault or if there were other ways to invest the contents of the alt in the house or clan, e.g. creating something for the house or main account that can't be sold by the main account (deimos Haberdashy's hats can't be sold, but you also can't create a hat for someone else) this also could be a solution.
It seems to me as if, to you, DragonPrime is your sandbox for ideas to better HogwartsLive. This isn't what we are, we're a community for coding support for LoGDs. If you have suggestions for HogwartsLive, then you need to send it in to them.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 05:42:05 AM »

The primary reason that people create alts to portray different characters in roleplay. That is, they do on the right sites.

Agreed.  But a lot of people use alts the way I just described.  To game the system and anonymously create drama.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »

Agreed.  But a lot of people use alts the way I just described.  To game the system and anonymously create drama.

Mm, I've barely seen that in the past decade. Maybe you're just hanging out on the wrong sites or with the wrong people.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »

Mm, I've barely seen that in the past decade. Maybe you're just hanging out on the wrong sites or with the wrong people.

LOL, definitely possible!!
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 04:52:09 AM »

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions. I don't want to create a loophole for gaming the game or to imbalance games. I created an alt for testing purposes but as I want to get rid of it, I thought it would be handy for the admin to destroy the alt as a Pentito and use the benefits from the Pentito alt for the game. You also could consider this as following as admin: if Pentito alts are destroyed by their owners, the admins don't need to do that nor hunt for them. The reward they could get for destroying their alts can be postponed, only one procedure for this can be accepted till the procedure is finished, so alt of an alt of an alt etc. could not be used for letting the master account get the benefits from the alts.
Wills are also a common factor in fantasy stories: Bron e.g. tells Saphira to help Eragon by giving certain knowledge at a defined moment. Dumbledore used his will to deliver certain artifacts to Ron, Hermione and Harry and gave them a certain quest they had to solve before continuing their hunt for horcruxes; even Severus Snape managed it to deliver Harry certain information after Nagini killed him.

I'm not using this forum as a sandbox for enriching hogwartslive, I only suggest possible modules that can be used by any of the games based on the dragonprime modules. The only thing I can do for enriching hl is suggesting the ideas I have by petition and also tell hl to have a look at what's available on dragonprime: updated modules, new ones, ... But if I could inspire coders for making totally new modules or enrich the existing ones by adding several choices/possibilities, I  would be happy.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:13:25 AM »

You do realize the pool of players is limited, many of us here also have sites, and we are loathe to help hogwartslive take more players away anyway...right?

But it seems EVERY post you make here mentions what I see as competition.

You do realize that, right?
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »

I don't want offend anybody, nor see games as competitors against each other. I followed a course some years ago that I only can translate as "literary creation" a writing course. In this course all participants learned from each other, we inspired each other to improve each other's texts. I learned things from my colleagues in this course besides the things I learned from the teacher. We read each other's texts, told what we thought, suggested improvements (put this word at this place, change that word into x or y, ... try out this and let's see if it's okay or not, ...) Some of us needed many suggestions, others were so refreshing and brilliant they didn't need much coaching. I had a younger colleague in this course I found her texts and poems splendid, fresh and fantastic. I like (and liked) her poems.

I saw this forum and platform as the same: enriching existing modules, delivering ideas for new ones, thinking about solutions for existing problems.

Dear TgTarheel, it's impossible to force me to choice between your game and the other (I won't name it again as naming it seems to offend you) when you know that I have more than 300 dk's or ve's at that game. I will repeat it again, the only thing I would like to do is inspire others: think about enriching existing modules or help to create new ones. Nothing less, nothing more. The method to create a will or another item: a book case, a trophy case ... for the main account (item the main account can't sell) was a thought so that pentito's can destroy an alt without losing stats and so that they could invest gold, exp, gems, turns etc. in the game with 2 benefits: 1: main account can get hp's of alt, when it reaches certain goals (e.g. x amount of exp. +eventual y% of exp); second benefit is for the admin of the game: main account acknowledge the existense of alt =pentito and destroys it so that admin of the game don't need to hunt for the alt. If the book case or prophy case is created by the alt, main account could not sell it and only use it for storing books or awards. Just a thought, nothing more, nothing less. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »

There are also many practical reasons why a lot of Admins will not do stat transfers.  They have the potential to be unbalancing in a way actually detrimental to a player, believe it or not!  I will say no more than that but it is obvious you do not understand the mechanics of the game engine itself or you would know this.  And this is another reason why game balance is striven for.

And by balance I am talking stats...I am not talking gold and gems....the scale of economics can greatly vary between one site and another, but both work...but you would not necessarily want to direct-transfer one site to another site...but the stats, like HP, attack points, etc...if you get too far out of balance with those it literally CAN be disadvantageous to a player...more is NOT always better.

I think that is going to be the biggest resistance this idea runs up against.  And it does not offend me when you say the other site.  But you are also asking me and others here to help a site WE see as competition for a smaller pool of players.  Maybe you DO have 300 kills there.  I have walked away from sites with over 500.  And I just got them back on a new site.  Big deal.

I am just saying...you have a site that obviously ignores all your ideas...and then you have mine that has actually tried to accommodate them.  I have...in nearly 12 years online...always tried to accommodate ideas of players.  Not everything is workable, but I have always tried, and I believe that is what sets my site apart...yet you seem married to that other place and I do not understand that.  I have, as I say...walked away from places where I had far more built up than you have.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 10:06:32 AM »

Thanks for all the replies, opinions, ... What about the following thought: suppose that players could invest in a village or clan by giving everything (experience, gold, gems, ...) they own in their profile to a investing module that generates something for the game, not for the player that invests? Think about the Christmas tree contest, in which you can invest turns, gems and gold  for creating the biggest tree for your clan. But the admin of the game could specify for what the investment should be used at certain periods of the year. One thing that could be created by this investment module could be a library for the village, a new shop or area in the village ... for which the modules already exist on the dragonprime platform; in the last case (new area or shop in village) the investment module functions as a kind of poll system. So players could help to decide the priority of adding selected modules to the game. In the case of the library, it could be a kind of contest for the most beautifull or biggest book case for the clan (like current Christmas tree contest). But I would prefer that the book case or library remains after the contest and nwouldn't disappear (like Christmas tree). In this way, the clan or house is improved by the investment of the players. What about this? Best, WW

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
28 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search