• September 20, 2018, 07:14:04 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Modification Allounce  (Read 647 times)
topdog2046
Militia

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »

Before I attempt modifying anything for my LOTGD game, I figure I'd ask ahead of time.
As per the game license, am I allowed to modify the game to have a different title, for instance. Instead of  Legend of the Green Dragon, maybe something like (as an example,) Legend of the Dragon Warrior?
Furthermore, if I create a race, am I required to publish my source here on Dragon Prime? I ask this because the sorce file of my race does have a download URI which people can get the created race source code from.
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »

Before I attempt modifying anything for my LOTGD game, I figure I'd ask ahead of time.
As per the game license, am I allowed to modify the game to have a different title, for instance. Instead of  Legend of the Green Dragon, maybe something like (as an example,) Legend of the Dragon Warrior?
Furthermore, if I create a race, am I required to publish my source here on Dragon Prime? I ask this because the sorce file of my race does have a download URI which people can get the created race source code from.

According to the license, you are NOT required to release anything you code yourself, that is unique to your site...unless you choose to.

If you use someone else's code as the base to code your own, then, yes, you need to properly creit...and release it...if it is plug-and-play...that is to say, that it does not require something else that is unique to your site.

For example, recently I coded a Topiary module, using Red Yates' Pumpkin Module as a base - I credited properly and released it here.
On the other hand, I have a module called Forest Guild.  This is dependent on The Item System, and very specific items, and things are hardcoded into it that make it really ONLY work with my site.  Such I am not required to release.

If that helps.

I am currently testing something which will be released when fully tested out.  A new Specialty, based on Aelia's Mana Specialties.  So far, everything is working and I have no reason to believe the rest won't.  But I also need to pay attention to the effects, that they are as I want them to be prior to releasing.
Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »

You are required to publish any changes made to the core or a released module. Any new module or idea that you make does not need to be released. You can edit anything you wish to, so long as you follow the license.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:04:32 PM by Stephen.Kise » Logged

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5

A new server in the making...
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »

You are required to publish any changes made to the core or a released module. Any new module or idea that you make does not need to be released. You can edit anything you wish to, so long as you follow the license.

Thanks, your wording was better than mine.  Basically, yes, that is it, above.
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 04:43:48 PM »

Note that if your module has dependencies on another person's module to function, that you also need to make that code available.

There is no requirement saying that the module needs to be published or released on Dragonprime, although doing that does help provide a centralized source which persists even if your host site ceases to exist. 

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
34 Guests, 1 User
Aeolus
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search