• October 23, 2018, 03:14:12 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suggestions for new modules: find bezoar and pages/books/newspapers  (Read 2249 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »

Hi I have some suggestions for some new objects to find in the forest or while travelling: besides finding gold and gems it would be fantastic to find bezoars. Bezoars possibly can be used as potion ingredients, but also as an anti-dote for poisons? On Hl there's a module in which I meet a Sicilian who kidnapped a princess and the player has to drink a glass of wine (one of the glasses is poisoned). 3 possible outcomes: 1 you die, 2 you fall unconscious and after waking you find you are robbed and Sicilian and princess are gone +all turns are lost; or 3: Sicilian poisons himself. If player could use a bezoar and Sicilian isn't poisoned/weakened, a 4th outcome could be created: fight between player and Sicilian, so that the player really can interact. Another possibility: you could invest a bezoar to save a poisoned Sicilian or warrior or animal: the poison isn't deadly but your opponent is weakened (and you aren't a murderer?).

If pages could be found in the forest or while travelling, we could use them to compose books, newspapers and magazines.
x pages =newspaper; x+y pages =magazine; x+y+z pages =book;
as long as you hold the pages, they can be taken from you by pv-ing students or the scicilian e.g., after dying they flow away, ...
If you deposit them to your table in the library, they are safe.
After deposing them to your table you can use them to form a newspaper/magazine/book; you also can get a book/magazine/newspaper as a reward or prize and deposit it to the library.
It also would be fantastic if valentine/christmas presents aren't simply an announcement. If you got a book/magazine/newspaper ... it would be handy if you could do something with it, depositing it to the library e.g.; now it's simply wasting money/gems for an announcement.

The library could be a place to save the pages you found, and store the books/magazines/newspapers you composed. They shouldn't disappear after dk'ing, they are the result of what you achieved in the game. Parts of potion recipes also could be stored over there in a potion book?

Just some ideas.

Best, WW 

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »

First of all, bezoars are very specifically Hogwarts-themed.

Secondly, my own opinion would be that this would be something best handled with The Item System....if a site Admin chose to do this.

It would then require re-writing the module in question to allow the use of said item...to produce the sort of outcomes you suggest.

Just as an example...I have a custom module on my site...that has a 1 in 50 chance of a bad outcome.  BUT....if you happen to be carrying a specific item...the bad outcome is avoided and the item used automatically.

To do what you are suggesting...a site admin would first create an Item...using the Item System.

Then, they would re-write the module in question to include use of that Item.  They could make it get used automatically, as I did...or have it show up as a navigation to use the item or not....leading to whatever possible outcomes they wanted.

For what it's worth.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:15:39 AM »

So the bezoar-thing should be added, if wanted, in the item's list and not as a find.bezoar-module similar to the gem or gold module? Okay. And what about the find pages suggestion to let the player compose newspapers, magazines and books for a library? It would be fantastic if player could compose a book, let's say a potion book, and when he has that book in the library, the player can mix the potions in the clan forge as a kind of exam. When the exam is done with good result, this could result in having the potion as a helpfull buff (like it is now) or as a help for doing another task? I e.g. find it a pitty I have obtained a degree in studying music at Amleine's music shop, but in the rest of the game I can't do anything with this knowledge. The degree is just a medal on my profile, and I have to follow a real odysee to find out which degree I currently have in the music shop. So, if books etc. would be introduced, I would make them of great use for the player. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »

So the bezoar-thing should be added, if wanted, in the item's list and not as a find.bezoar-module similar to the gem or gold module? Okay. And what about the find pages suggestion to let the player compose newspapers, magazines and books for a library? It would be fantastic if player could compose a book, let's say a potion book, and when he has that book in the library, the player can mix the potions in the clan forge as a kind of exam. When the exam is done with good result, this could result in having the potion as a helpfull buff (like it is now) or as a help for doing another task? I e.g. find it a pitty I have obtained a degree in studying music at Amleine's music shop, but in the rest of the game I can't do anything with this knowledge. The degree is just a medal on my profile, and I have to follow a real odysee to find out which degree I currently have in the music shop. So, if books etc. would be introduced, I would make them of great use for the player. Best, WW

There is a potion-mixing module in existence already.

You know there IS a limit to the things that can be done and still maintain game balance.  Unless you just want everything to be a "gimme game"
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 03:51:27 AM »

What's a gimme game? It's not my intention to disturb balances; but it's simply a pitty you can't use music in the game besides in the music shop; suppose that newspapers, books and magazines were added to the game, having a specific item could give the player access or an advantage in the game: potion book gives player access to mixing potion module, e.g. having a book about herbs and plants let the player find them, ... Just some thoughts to enrich the game. I originally started to play games on pottermore (the game element is now gone over there) but during the first years of pottermore, it felt like searching for easter eggs after pm released new chapters of the books in game form: I could collect potion ingredients and other things (books too) and I liked the fact of finding items. So, that's why I suggested this to the games on dragonprime.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

What's a gimme game? It's not my intention to disturb balances; but it's simply a pitty you can't use music in the game besides in the music shop; suppose that newspapers, books and magazines were added to the game, having a specific item could give the player access or an advantage in the game: potion book gives player access to mixing potion module, e.g. having a book about herbs and plants let the player find them, ... Just some thoughts to enrich the game. I originally started to play games on pottermore (the game element is now gone over there) but during the first years of pottermore, it felt like searching for easter eggs after pm released new chapters of the books in game form: I could collect potion ingredients and other things (books too) and I liked the fact of finding items. So, that's why I suggested this to the games on dragonprime.

A "gimme game" is one made way too easy by too many advantages being available.  Most Admins value game balance.  I know of one site...I like the guy who runs it...but it is SUCH a gimme game I can't stand it.  It is TOO easy.  Balance is not easy to achieve...and it is very easy to upset.  One of the reasons you could be getting a lot of resistance to ideas you present is this.  Another could simply be a lack of time...most people who do this also have a full time job and life...and are volunteers who do this in spare time.  I bet there are many of us that would love to turn this into a living, but that isn't how it works.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:57 AM »

It was never my intention to create gimme-games, but enrich the existing ones. I illustrate what I meant above with an example from the previous Pottermore game: before you could freely move through the books and chapters, you had to follow the story-line of the books: firstly you have to visit Diagon Alley (for giving an example) and find a vault key. After finding that key you could open the vault and find your amount of gold for beginners; you could start to buy your potion ingredients and so on, visit the wand shop and let a wand chose you, ... In the second book there was a situation where you had to find a hairpin before you could unlock the cupboard for finding some items. ... Concerning the bezoars and books I suggested: I was thinking of doing such things and let the player collect the books etc. to form a personal library he/she could use during the game. I currently find my pleasure in leveling up and watching how I'm doing in the statistics: on which place am I in the ranking of gem possessors, how tough am I (am I listed on place 58 or 50 on this list) etc. The only thing I currently can collect, are Every flavor beans. I can enter a contest in which I have to hunt for wizard cards, but this contest is limited in time and the only advantage for the game is getting gems (if you found the most cards and if you rank in the top 3). So, I was talking about finding/collecting helpfull items that could be of use during the game. But it's the player who chose to use the helpfull items, he/she has to think strategicly. I e.g. read on a certain page that I needed to be sorted in a house on pottermore before I could get points for my house (you had a personal points system and a housepoints system). So, I firstly collected only the needed collectibles, went through the sorting procedure and after this I revisited the previous chapters and collected all possible items, and so I could get as many points as possible for my dear house. Brewing potions and duelling on pm wasn't possible for me (flash apps aren't accessible for the blind), so I had to be as inventive as possible to get some points for my dear house, without breaking the rules. But take my suggestions for what they're worth, It was never my intention to annoy/disturb you. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »

It was never my intention to create gimme-games, but enrich the existing ones. I illustrate what I meant above with an example from the previous Pottermore game: before you could freely move through the books and chapters, you had to follow the story-line of the books: firstly you have to visit Diagon Alley (for giving an example) and find a vault key. After finding that key you could open the vault and find your amount of gold for beginners; you could start to buy your potion ingredients and so on, visit the wand shop and let a wand chose you, ... In the second book there was a situation where you had to find a hairpin before you could unlock the cupboard for finding some items. ... Concerning the bezoars and books I suggested: I was thinking of doing such things and let the player collect the books etc. to form a personal library he/she could use during the game. I currently find my pleasure in leveling up and watching how I'm doing in the statistics: on which place am I in the ranking of gem possessors, how tough am I (am I listed on place 58 or 50 on this list) etc. The only thing I currently can collect, are Every flavor beans. I can enter a contest in which I have to hunt for wizard cards, but this contest is limited in time and the only advantage for the game is getting gems (if you found the most cards and if you rank in the top 3). So, I was talking about finding/collecting helpfull items that could be of use during the game. But it's the player who chose to use the helpfull items, he/she has to think strategicly. I e.g. read on a certain page that I needed to be sorted in a house on pottermore before I could get points for my house (you had a personal points system and a housepoints system). So, I firstly collected only the needed collectibles, went through the sorting procedure and after this I revisited the previous chapters and collected all possible items, and so I could get as many points as possible for my dear house. Brewing potions and duelling on pm wasn't possible for me (flash apps aren't accessible for the blind), so I had to be as inventive as possible to get some points for my dear house, without breaking the rules. But take my suggestions for what they're worth, It was never my intention to annoy/disturb you. Best, WW
As I said elsewhere, you are not annoying me.  I cannot speak for others.  I find your enthusiasm refreshing.

That said...you are making suggestions for things without REALLY understanding the mechanics behind making your ideas come to life.  It is almost as if you believe we wave a magic wand and make the things you want happen.

But it actually takes hours of coding and thinking...and making mistakes and fixing them...to get where you want.

You are on my site, right?  You have encountered Forest Guild...right?

Do you know that took me over a month to get it working right?  And that it is over 4,000 lines of code?  The point is...it's very time consuming.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 12:49:23 AM »

I know coding modules is time-consuming. Many years ago I followed a course "building a website with html" and with building I mean: from scratch. You had to start with an empty file made in notepath, with <html> </html> at the beginning and end, and between these codes you start with the title and body lines. I remember I was the only person who came to this course with an idea of what I wanted to do, I had pages of texts already prepared (I was trying to develop a website for which a nephew would do the coding and I would do the texts, but this nephew didn't make an accessible website but one made with flash). So, I already had some stuff to start with and an idea of the structure; other course members/classmates had vague ideas what they wanted to do, but my concept was already concrete. I lost half a day with trying to give the titles of the pages a specific color, before my teacher told me that color tags won't work in the title tags. If I knew more of php and if I could find a course for free in Dutch that explains everything step by step, explains all tags etc. how to define choices etc. I could try it for myself; but have no server to test things out. Consider my ideas as a source of inspiration. Nothing more, nothing less. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 12:56:43 AM »

I know coding modules is time-consuming. Many years ago I followed a course "building a website with html" and with building I mean: from scratch. You had to start with an empty file made in notepath, with <html> </html> at the beginning and end, and between these codes you start with the title and body lines. I remember I was the only person who came to this course with an idea of what I wanted to do, I had pages of texts already prepared (I was trying to develop a website for which a nephew would do the coding and I would do the texts, but this nephew didn't make an accessible website but one made with flash). So, I already had some stuff to start with and an idea of the structure; other course members/classmates had vague ideas what they wanted to do, but my concept was already concrete. I lost half a day with trying to give the titles of the pages a specific color, before my teacher told me that color tags won't work in the title tags. If I knew more of php and if I could find a course for free in Dutch that explains everything step by step, explains all tags etc. how to define choices etc. I could try it for myself; but have no server to test things out. Consider my ideas as a source of inspiration. Nothing more, nothing less. Best, WW

I am self-taught.  I am not very good, my coding is downright sloppy.  But I learned by taking a look at what already worked...and then reverse-engineered it.  Altered it to do what I wanted instead of what it did.  That was how I started.  You could do that too...just download a few working modules from here and look at the coding, and see if you can figure how it all works.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 03:22:11 AM »

TgTarheel you wrote earlier: "That said...you are making suggestions for things without REALLY understanding the mechanics behind making your ideas come to life. " I tried to find a php course but I think the info someone else sent me this week made my panic: he told me that it isn't a matter of using tags like in html coding for a link, an image etc. he told me that normally there's a database behind the modules and that's not a matter to change source code. He also told that the most easy way is by working with Huh?frames or existing ??modules, like bricks of lego, to build something. And if these lego bricks =stones are used over here, I must find out where the box with stones is, which functions are made in advance, ... and combine existing possibilities. I have the impression that on hl they use a few stones, but not all possibilities. I think, the items system isn't implemented: no backpack over there for naming something. They use the most simple lego bricks and built up strong walls, but no inspiring towers or roofs, they didn't make little gardens, no orchard etc. The only thing I currently can do, is telling the staff members to explore the box with lego stones and try to theme some of them otherwise and enrich the constructions they made. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »

TgTarheel you wrote earlier: "That said...you are making suggestions for things without REALLY understanding the mechanics behind making your ideas come to life. " I tried to find a php course but I think the info someone else sent me this week made my panic: he told me that it isn't a matter of using tags like in html coding for a link, an image etc. he told me that normally there's a database behind the modules and that's not a matter to change source code. He also told that the most easy way is by working with Huh?frames or existing ??modules, like bricks of lego, to build something. And if these lego bricks =stones are used over here, I must find out where the box with stones is, which functions are made in advance, ... and combine existing possibilities. I have the impression that on hl they use a few stones, but not all possibilities. I think, the items system isn't implemented: no backpack over there for naming something. They use the most simple lego bricks and built up strong walls, but no inspiring towers or roofs, they didn't make little gardens, no orchard etc. The only thing I currently can do, is telling the staff members to explore the box with lego stones and try to theme some of them otherwise and enrich the constructions they made. Best, WW

Or you can find another site to play on, since HL obviously isn't taking your suggestions, and you do not seem happy about that.  I don't know what else to tell you.  You're whistling in the wind if you think complaining about it here is going to change the fact that they simply are not implementing your ideas.
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »

The bezoar may be a "Hogwarts" thing and so people who've read HP will know what it is and does, but if they haven't some text will explain it quite quickly.

You can put it into a simple forest/village events module.

Step 1: Randomly find the bezoar. "Your keen eyes spot a dropped pouch on the ground. You pick it up and look through it, it's just some old herbs and... SCORE, you find a bezoar which is good for stopping poison.".

Step 2: Randomly come across a medicine man who wants you to try his new health potion. Different outcomes will be good or bad. A bad one can lose you health/fights/gold and give a bad buff unless you have the bezoar, which can then lead to a fight with the medicine man.

You're attacked by a Medicine Man with Rusty Surgical Tools.

Have fun. Cheesy

Check My Modules for the latest versions.
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »

The bezoar may be a "Hogwarts" thing and so people who've read HP will know what it is and does, but if they haven't some text will explain it quite quickly.

You can put it into a simple forest/village events module.

Step 1: Randomly find the bezoar. "Your keen eyes spot a dropped pouch on the ground. You pick it up and look through it, it's just some old herbs and... SCORE, you find a bezoar which is good for stopping poison.".

Step 2: Randomly come across a medicine man who wants you to try his new health potion. Different outcomes will be good or bad. A bad one can lose you health/fights/gold and give a bad buff unless you have the bezoar, which can then lead to a fight with the medicine man.

You're attacked by a Medicine Man with Rusty Surgical Tools.

Interesting concept.  I think I'd let the "bezoar" be an Admin-nameable item in the module, so that it could be used anywhere and not just Hogwarts themed.

Have fun. Cheesy
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 04:44:30 AM »

Well, I surely can live with this concept, but I would also let the user use the bezoar as a ??joker or wildcard when he/she is trying his/her luck in a risky situation: the Sicilian with his poisoned wine challenge (or another simular challenge) but the medicin man is also a good one to add. A bezoar is not the same as a horcrux (already available on hl) =alifesafer that will rez you when dying, obtaining a horcrux happens when you're bad and killed 5 players in pvp. So, if someone of you want to make this bezoar module and eventually other modules in which the bezoar can be used, and you need some scenario's besides the ones that are suggested over here, you can send me a private message and we can discuss this further in private messages. And what about the collecting pages thing to compose newspaper, magazines and books for a personal library or a clan library that could be of any help for the user (or clan)? Best, WW

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
27 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search