• November 17, 2018, 09:32:43 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: concerning petitions from player: subject field?  (Read 1580 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:09:07 AM »

Dear I don't know if the most recent petition form is used on hogwartslive. But when I want to send a petition to the staff members of this game, I must write all stuff in the message-field, and that's limited in space and number of signs I can type in the textbox; therefore I would suggest to add a kind of subject field to the petition form; a possibility is that you provide a combo-box with a list of possible subjects: "bug report", cheating report, ... and "suggestions". Now I must tell the staff in message field that I have some feedback or a suggestion, and so, the suggestion itself gets less space to be written out. Another advantage of adding a subject line to the form: staff members possibly could sort petitions by subject and share the work of handling petitions: staff 1 can do the bugs, staff 2 the cheating, ... now it's possible one member has to do all things and sort things out. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps in making things easier for both players and staff members/admins. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »

This already exists, has for years.

FWIW, the HogwartsLive petition input doesn't have a limit on it, don't know where you got that from.

Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »

dear, you wrote: "FWIW, the HogwartsLive petition input doesn't have a limit on it, don't know where you got that from.": well, when I get an answer back on petition, this answer is sent by the messaging system =owls in that game, the original petition is at the bottom of the message and I found out that part of my petition text was gone. So, I supposed that the petition field was limited in space. I e.g. send a list of suggestions containing 6 things and after 2 or 3 the list was simply chopped in the answer. I don't know if servers of the gmaes, based on the dragonprime-code get a kind of list of updated modules? Perhaps, the staff members of hl even don't know that there's a petition-form with subject line available? Sorry for disturbing the conversation. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:15 AM »

dear, you wrote: "FWIW, the HogwartsLive petition input doesn't have a limit on it, don't know where you got that from.": well, when I get an answer back on petition, this answer is sent by the messaging system =owls in that game, the original petition is at the bottom of the message and I found out that part of my petition text was gone. So, I supposed that the petition field was limited in space. I e.g. send a list of suggestions containing 6 things and after 2 or 3 the list was simply chopped in the answer. I don't know if servers of the gmaes, based on the dragonprime-code get a kind of list of updated modules? Perhaps, the staff members of hl even don't know that there's a petition-form with subject line available? Sorry for disturbing the conversation. Best, WW

Hon, the chopped-off end is likely a function of limitations on the number of characters allowed in a YOM...or in the case of Hogwarts, owls.

It is nothing to do with the petition system.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:44:14 AM »

I see. But if a message =owl arrives, I only see in the subject line it's an answer to a petition I sent earlier, so I surely can understand the answer of the petition has to follow the limitations of the messaging system. Unfortunately, you possibly could get the impression that your petition hasn't reached the staff in it's totality =part of the text was cut away. So, there's a possibility the player starts to cut a long petition into pieces and starts sending them, and so spamming/annoying the staff unwillingly. Possibly this clarifies why I didn't get any reaction on my last petitions? They concider petitions of mine as spam? Best, WW

Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »

No such impression would be made, it would be obvious that it was cut off, especially when you start replying to YoMs and it continues to be cut off.

I know what HL is and what Owls are, I've been on there since 2009, still am. The Staff are not overly active, hence the lack of replies. If it's suggestions you're giving them, they rarely take on suggestions by anyone.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »

No such impression would be made, it would be obvious that it was cut off, especially when you start replying to YoMs and it continues to be cut off.

I know what HL is and what Owls are, I've been on there since 2009, still am. The Staff are not overly active, hence the lack of replies. If it's suggestions you're giving them, they rarely take on suggestions by anyone.

True.  Most Admins have full time jobs and other things that also consume their time.  Nobody does this game for a living.  Does not work that way.  I am thinking our idea-filled friend thinks that it IS that way.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 03:58:12 AM »

TgTarheel you wrote: " I am thinking our idea-filled friend thinks that it IS that way." No, I don't think that. I know admins of the games we're discussing here have full-time jobs etc. to do.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »

TgTarheel you wrote: " I am thinking our idea-filled friend thinks that it IS that way." No, I don't think that. I know admins of the games we're discussing here have full-time jobs etc. to do.

Listen...I love all your ideas.  But you have so many...that nobody could keep up.
DarknessFalls
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »

I know the answer has been given, but I'm going to try and re-iterate it again.

I tested the limits of how much can be sent in via Petition. I sent in the entire text of the Declaration of Independence, including the signatures, in a Petition. I checked the petition myself as a staff member, and the entirety of the text is there. The reason you do not see the whole text when a YoM/Owl/etc is sent to you is due to limits in the YoM/Owl/etc. It has nothing to do with limits in a petition. I feel confident enough to state that they receive your entire text when you send in a petition.

I can assure you that Aeolus knew what he was talking about when he responded, and the same with TGTarheel about the lack of limitations in the Petitions. The limitation is there in the YoM/Owl/etc. Your petition is sent in full.

On top of that... Petitions have categories that they are placed in for staff members to work on. I'm not exactly sure why this is still being discussed, as this is the third time the same answer has been given. Each realm has a different way of doing things. If they've done something to their petitions (which I doubt), then that is there prerogative.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 01:46:20 AM »

Thanks for this info, Darknessfalls; and tgtarheel you wrote:
"
Listen...I love all your ideas.  But you have so many...that nobody could keep up."
It never was my intention to overwhelm or annoy you nor others with my suggestions. I'm starting to think that this forum is morely dedicated to admins of the games, and not dedicated to the players of the games. It's difficult for a gamer to look behind the curtains and finding out what's happening over there, we only can see what's on the gamers screens, not what an admin can see. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »

Thanks for this info, Darknessfalls; and tgtarheel you wrote:
"
Listen...I love all your ideas.  But you have so many...that nobody could keep up."
It never was my intention to overwhelm or annoy you nor others with my suggestions. I'm starting to think that this forum is morely dedicated to admins of the games, and not dedicated to the players of the games. It's difficult for a gamer to look behind the curtains and finding out what's happening over there, we only can see what's on the gamers screens, not what an admin can see. Best, WW

I can't speak for others.  You are not annoying me, I find your enthusiasm refreshing.  I can't speak to whom this forum is for, it does not belong to me.  But it mostly is Admins here.  But most Admins are also players on their own and other sites.  I'd encourage you to hang out.  But I am guessing that a lot of Admins may not act on your ideas, and if they do not...it is not personal.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »

I didn't take it personal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
51 Guests, 1 User