• February 23, 2018, 08:23:39 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: concerning the core module "oldman.php"  (Read 613 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:17:20 AM »

Dear I found the following module info for the event in the forest in which I meet an old man:
"Old Man [Top]

Filename: oldman.php
Category: Forest Specials
Author: Eric Stevens
Required Modules: None
Short Description: Player randomly stumbles across an old man and can bet against him for gold, gain favor and many other things.... "

On Hogwartslive I often meet this old man and find it frustrating the old man is punishing/rawarding me without me doing anything to deserve that punishment or reward. I e.g. often encounter an old necromancer that takes a permanent hitpoint from me, I can't do anything to protect myself, I didn't do something wrong to him.

I would suggest to add some interaction, so that the player can take action to deserve a punishment or to earn a reward, to give the player the chance to fight the necromancer etc. I surely would help the poor old man that's lost in the forest as I currently do, or would help him by carrying his heavy bag with wood or apples or vegetables. In Hogwartslive there's no wise old man I can meet in the forest, what a pitty; And why not composing a module with an old woman? I saw on a game a forest event in which I could help an old woman by carrying some wood or heavy basket to her house. ... Just some ideas. Hope they help in making the games more challenging. Best, WW

programming is not my piece of cake, writing text is my hobby.
My native language is Dutch, so I apologize for the faults I'm making when writing English.
It's never my intention to offend someone nor to violate someone's copyrights.
I don't own a server, I'm a player at hogwartslive.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »

There's plenty of modules that have interaction, so an event that is sudden is actually different to the norm.

I'm confused - are you trying to copy HL and its modules, or?

Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »

I'm not copying modules of hl or whatever; I only have the impression on hl there are more modules that react at random in which the player can't do anything and not modules that can be interacted with by the player. I only am trying to suggest improvements to modules to make them more challenging for the players. I often encounter that old man and am rewarded or punished, as I said, without me doing anything or having the possibility to do anything to deserve that reward or punishment. The issue is, that Hogwartslive or hl is currently not accepting ideas for new scenario's or improvements and the petition form is the only way to contact the staff members of hl. So, I suppose it's more easy for hl to come to dragonprime and eventually find updated modules or new versions of modules they currently use and implement these than rewriting modules they use themselves. Why inventing the wheel if it already exists? And why to try to build a improved wheel if you don't have the tools to do that, if there's a place where you can find the tools and the knowledge and use the improved wheels they have over there? The only thing I wanted to do, is sharing my thoughts about the wheels I already know and propose some improvements to let the carriage travel more smoothly. I'm not skilled to rewrite modules, the only thing I can do is delivering ideas and scenario's. Hope this clarifies the things? Best, WW

My native language is Dutch, so I apologize for the faults I'm making when writing English.
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »

I'm not copying modules of hl or whatever; I only have the impression on hl there are more modules that react at random in which the player can't do anything and not modules that can be interacted with by the player. I only am trying to suggest improvements to modules to make them more challenging for the players. I often encounter that old man and am rewarded or punished, as I said, without me doing anything or having the possibility to do anything to deserve that reward or punishment. The issue is, that Hogwartslive or hl is currently not accepting ideas for new scenario's or improvements and the petition form is the only way to contact the staff members of hl. So, I suppose it's more easy for hl to come to dragonprime and eventually find updated modules or new versions of modules they currently use and implement these than rewriting modules they use themselves. Why inventing the wheel if it already exists? And why to try to build a improved wheel if you don't have the tools to do that, if there's a place where you can find the tools and the knowledge and use the improved wheels they have over there? The only thing I wanted to do, is sharing my thoughts about the wheels I already know and propose some improvements to let the carriage travel more smoothly. I'm not skilled to rewrite modules, the only thing I can do is delivering ideas and scenario's. Hope this clarifies the things? Best, WW

Ya wanna know what is positively evil?  there are modules out there, I have seen where...when you do the GOOD thing you get punished/killed and if you do the EVIL thing you are rewarded!  And they are written to look like other modules, so that you never know for sure which one you are encountering!  Now that's evil.  And challenging! (by the way that is a compliment)  As we have already been working and chatting some together, WW, I am always willing, time permitting, to run with any idea you have that seems good and do-able.  But if HL is not going to implement the ideas that you have, as you seem to indicate...not sure that posting here at DP is going to make that difference.  Different Admins are like different people...and all run their sites their own way.

For my part, I am enjoying your posts and suggestions, I find it refreshing, actually, to have someone like you, a fountain bubbling over with fresh ideas!  Have you hooked up at all with the people who are working on the latest LOTGD?  I believe this is one that will work with PHP 7.0 (current incarnations of LOTGD will not) and the project is called Daenerys, I believe...there is a topic here about it - always pops up in Recent Topics...it's there as I write: http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=12736.msg107437;topicseen#new

I bet they would love some of your fresh ideas!  I know that I do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:41:15 AM by TGTarheel » Logged
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »

Thanks for the tip TGTarheel, I applied (or tried to apply) for the role of Fantasy writer in the topic you suggested. Perhaps they can use some of my ideas? Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:09:58 AM »

Thanks for the tip TGTarheel, I applied (or tried to apply) for the role of Fantasy writer in the topic you suggested. Perhaps they can use some of my ideas? Best, WW

You're welcome.  Thank you for your enthusiasm, it is nice to see the kind of creative energy and enthusiasm you have.  i welcome it.
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:58 AM »

TgTarheel, you earlier wrote: "Ya wanna know what is positively evil?  there are modules out there, I have seen where...when you do the GOOD thing you get punished/killed and if you do the EVIL thing you are rewarded!  And they are written to look like other modules, so that you never know for sure which one you are encountering!  Now that's evil.  And challenging!" I know 2 of such events on Hogwartslive: Mrs Norris can be kicked or not, if you kick her you sometimes get a reward, sometimes you are killed; but your alignment always goes down. If you let her be and don't kick her you only get good alignment and no other reward. Another module is about a Sicilian who kidnapped a princess, if you accept his challenge and drink one of the glasses of wine (one of them is poisoned) you can be killed, robbed but also you can be rewarded if the Sicilian kills himself. But your alignment always goes up; if you refuse the challenge you don't take the risks, but your alignment goes down. Are these the scenario's you referred to? Or are there more of them? Conclusion: you get the reward (if you do good) in the alignment statistics. Concerning the Sicilian I would introduce the bezoar to help the player, but when I start discussing this, I must start a new topic. Now it feels more like playing Russian roulette and not as a challenge to show your wittyness. But with the old man scenario's I currently see on Hogwartslive, these are more straightforward and doing good results in a reward; but my point is, I sometimes am rewarded/punished without me doing anything, and that's the point I would like to change.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »

TgTarheel, you earlier wrote: "Ya wanna know what is positively evil?  there are modules out there, I have seen where...when you do the GOOD thing you get punished/killed and if you do the EVIL thing you are rewarded!  And they are written to look like other modules, so that you never know for sure which one you are encountering!  Now that's evil.  And challenging!" I know 2 of such events on Hogwartslive: Mrs Norris can be kicked or not, if you kick her you sometimes get a reward, sometimes you are killed; but your alignment always goes down. If you let her be and don't kick her you only get good alignment and no other reward. Another module is about a Sicilian who kidnapped a princess, if you accept his challenge and drink one of the glasses of wine (one of them is poisoned) you can be killed, robbed but also you can be rewarded if the Sicilian kills himself. But your alignment always goes up; if you refuse the challenge you don't take the risks, but your alignment goes down. Are these the scenario's you referred to? Or are there more of them? Conclusion: you get the reward (if you do good) in the alignment statistics. Concerning the Sicilian I would introduce the bezoar to help the player, but when I start discussing this, I must start a new topic. Now it feels more like playing Russian roulette and not as a challenge to show your wittyness. But with the old man scenario's I currently see on Hogwartslive, these are more straightforward and doing good results in a reward; but my point is, I sometimes am rewarded/punished without me doing anything, and that's the point I would like to change.

There are others, but yes, those are two of the modules I was talking about.
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:05:26 AM »

I know in fairytales there are also nasty old men, or little men who are naughty to others, cfr. "Snow white and Rose red" but in most of them the nastiness of the old man or woman is a reaction to what the other did: it's a punishment for bad behaviour or not wanting to share food or offer some help. I perfectly can accept that I am punished for a reason. But why don't you give the player the chance to interact with that old man? There are situations in which I can give a gem or walk the old bloke to town, and after this I get a reward; but I want to defend myself against that old necromancer that steals hitpoints or gold from me.

Suggestion for enriching this module:
If the player has something to eat, he could share the food with the old bloke or refuse him the food =punishment; if necromancer wants to rob/kill the player or weaken the player, the player could fight mentally with him by staring the old man in his eyes and try to block the old bloke: if player loses, the old man takes the hitpoint/rob player/kill player  =current situation; if he loses and the player wins the fight =same fight options as in common forest fights but old man is as same level as chosen difficulty level (if player searches suicidally, old man is 3 levels higher than player), the player could win a permanent hitpoint, find a gem, ... What do you think of this change proposition?

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 05:32:57 PM »

I know in fairytales there are also nasty old men, or little men who are naughty to others, cfr. "Snow white and Rose red" but in most of them the nastiness of the old man or woman is a reaction to what the other did: it's a punishment for bad behaviour or not wanting to share food or offer some help. I perfectly can accept that I am punished for a reason. But why don't you give the player the chance to interact with that old man? There are situations in which I can give a gem or walk the old bloke to town, and after this I get a reward; but I want to defend myself against that old necromancer that steals hitpoints or gold from me.

Suggestion for enriching this module:
If the player has something to eat, he could share the food with the old bloke or refuse him the food =punishment; if necromancer wants to rob/kill the player or weaken the player, the player could fight mentally with him by staring the old man in his eyes and try to block the old bloke: if player loses, the old man takes the hitpoint/rob player/kill player  =current situation; if he loses and the player wins the fight =same fight options as in common forest fights but old man is as same level as chosen difficulty level (if player searches suicidally, old man is 3 levels higher than player), the player could win a permanent hitpoint, find a gem, ... What do you think of this change proposition?

Well, it is not my module, and I still need to work on the Fairy module.  I haven't forgotten, just been sidetracked.
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:32:29 AM »

TgTarheel, my reply was meant to anyone who wants to interact. One module at the time, but perhaps the original writer of the module would update it and I simply proposed an enrichment of this module. But thanks for your reaction, anyway. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »

TgTarheel, my reply was meant to anyone who wants to interact. One module at the time, but perhaps the original writer of the module would update it and I simply proposed an enrichment of this module. But thanks for your reaction, anyway. Best, WW
No problem.

But most of the core modules were written a long time ago, and many of the authors of that code no longer write code for LOTGD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
16 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search