• April 21, 2018, 09:45:10 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: questions about existing modules +suggestions  (Read 709 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:03:44 AM »

Dear I have some questions about existing modules:
Concerning ??"Azrael the Spook" (I mean, the child under the shead that wants to trick or treat the player in the village): If player doesn't have gold at hand when meeting the spook, although player want to gift something, he/she is punished. I was willing to gift something, but unfortunately had no gold at hand at the moment. I found this not so just. Most of the time I save all the gold I have at the bank, so that nasty villains can't steal it. But I had gems I could give, I could spend a turn to make a mask for him/her ...
Concerning the challenge "Spooky Gold": I found out that slaying the BONEMARROW BEAST didn't generate experience. Why is that? If I slay a monster during travelling I got experience too. So, why is this otherwise with this monster?
And speaking of slaying monsters during travels: I sometimes get good or bad alignment but not the merits/souls I would get while fighting in the forest. In all occasions, I'm talking about how it works on hogwartslive. On hogwartslive I only can petition something, petitions are limieted, not a discussion-thing. For sending feedback it is too limited, I find.
Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »

It's a copdong thing, depends on who authored the module.  You do not get experience when you beat Lonestrider, either.

I alter a lot of files after I download them for my site, to fix small things like this...for example, if you both kill each other, mine sets you to 1HP and lets you live...you CAN still get killed, but you gotta get killed outright...not have the win message come up and then end up dead.

It would be up to the individual site admins if they felt like messing with the coding or not.

You could come to Kalisiin.com and check us out if you like, for an example of how code modification works as I undertook rather extensive code modification in search of game balance...some things were made harder...others, easier.
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:43:53 AM »

thanks, although I don't understand it all. I suppose that this all depends on what the coder of the game changed on the basically delivered code for fitting it in it's game. Thanks, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »

thanks, although I don't understand it all. I suppose that this all depends on what the coder of the game changed on the basically delivered code for fitting it in it's game. Thanks, WW

If you are interested in learning some code...the best way is to find something that works and then reverse-engineer it to do what you want it to do.

Figure out the mechanics.  This is how I taught myself.

I am a very sloppy coder, and not all that good, compared to others here, but I have managed a few things!
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »

I only have little experience with building a website using html, but followed this basical course almost 12 years ago; If I would start coding, I need the basics of php or what language ever you are using. I remember that I had spend almost half a day with putting codes for color in the title of my webpages, and later the teacher told me that coloring codes can't be used in the titles of webpages. I mostly collected content for my website, and started up building up a construction and put in the contents, but the site never went online. But coding a game is another piece of cake. No, I prefer writing texts and let do the programmers their work.

phu
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »

It's very important to understand your own strengths and weaknesses; however, please note that this site is very low on activity, and the person who told you your suggestions would likely be easy and completed quickly was not serious. He was being sarcastic.

Even LotGD itself is not actively updated. If you want to have your ideas worked on, you should talk directly to programmers who might be interested rather than (or in addition to) posting them here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:01:54 PM by phu » Logged
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »

Oh thanks for this info. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »

Oh thanks for this info. Best, WW

Well, still working on the Fairy one.  Seeing as it was originally my suggestion...caused me to jump in and offer help.

After that, I may help with others.  Have to see.

A lot of the original programmers are no longer active in the LOTGD universe, having moved on to other things.

Agree with what phu said about knowing your strengths.  I happen to be an okay coder, not great, and very sloppy, but I can usually get something to do what I wanted.

Most actual coders would look at my work, laugh, and get it to do the same thing in half the code lines, but oh well.
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »

tgTarheel you are the first one that is reacting to my suggestions concerning tips, proposals for coding etc. Thanks for this. We will see what we can do together. Best, WW

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

tgTarheel you are the first one that is reacting to my suggestions concerning tips, proposals for coding etc. Thanks for this. We will see what we can do together. Best, WW

Happy to help, will enjoy the collaboration.

Since the Save Fairy suggestion WAS my idea originally anyway... (Kalisiin is my older name here, now I code as TGTarheel...back then I was not "out" but now I am)
Wolfsbanewillow
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 06:28:48 AM »

let's see if you really enjoy our collaboration. Best, WW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
20 Guests, 2 Users