• December 11, 2017, 05:30:11 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Remove Color-Coding Notations From Page Headers?  (Read 873 times)
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »

Actually, wondering if you know what I was saying!!

It seems to me like I would need to maintain, somewhere within this...the changes I have made.  And since I am not starting clean, there are a lot of changes I made that I might not remember and thus could not put into it.

Why must you always assume horrible things about me?

I was saying NOTHING about this site maintaining the app...saying that I WOULD NEED TO MAINTAIN IT FROM CLEAN...in order to have all my changes properly noted.

It doesn't have to be maintained as you go. Do what you want to your code. It's up to you to log what changes you make, not us, so that's your fault and not ours.

OMG, I swear, you must think I am some kind of ogre...

Oh, just the worst! Big, green and layered like an onion! I so love my swamp.

phu
Militia

Web and mobile dev

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »

Thanks.  Would have been nice to know about this before all my mucking around, LOL...sounds to me like this has to be maintained "as you go"

Yeah, version control is very much about recording changes over time. While your code and code comments should always be up to date, regardless of what came before, version control comments should document the changes made since the previous commit. That way you can look back at your commit history and see changes that might be entirely gone in your current code.

If you really want to start, you could:

• Download a clean copy of the LotGD version you started with
  • Start a git repository in the clean copy's directory
  • Add all of the code and create the first commit from the clean code
  • Copy the contents of your current code into the clean directory, overwriting all files (don't overwrite the clean directory itself, just the contents, otherwise the git information will be deleted)

At this point, the outstanding changes in git should represent the changes you have made. If you want, you can try to add files in groups and make commits that approximate your changes. Otherwise you can just add all of your changes, make that a single "first update" commit, and make commits for individual changes going forward.

It's a bit of effort, and it depends on you getting the exact version of the game you started with, but if you want to start using version control it's one option.
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »

Actually, wondering if you know what I was saying!!

It seems to me like I would need to maintain, somewhere within this...the changes I have made.  And since I am not starting clean, there are a lot of changes I made that I might not remember and thus could not put into it.

Why must you always assume horrible things about me?

I was saying NOTHING about this site maintaining the app...saying that I WOULD NEED TO MAINTAIN IT FROM CLEAN...in order to have all my changes properly noted.

It doesn't have to be maintained as you go. Do what you want to your code. It's up to you to log what changes you make, not us, so that's your fault and not ours.

OMG, I swear, you must think I am some kind of ogre...

Oh, just the worst! Big, green and layered like an onion! I so love my swamp.

My GOD...That wwas what I JUST SAID...that I would need to log my changes AS I GO...and since I have already made a number of changes before having this...i would have to figure out what changes I already made and log them!!

WHY do you deliberately frustrate me?  I never said ANYTHING about this being your fault!!  Holy Lord, I just made an OBSERVATION...that I had already made changes that would not be already logged!  Did I assign any blame to you or to DP for that?? NO!!!  So why will you continue to be this way towards me?  Do you have some special hate for me or something?
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »

Thanks.  Would have been nice to know about this before all my mucking around, LOL...sounds to me like this has to be maintained "as you go"

Yeah, version control is very much about recording changes over time. While your code and code comments should always be up to date, regardless of what came before, version control comments should document the changes made since the previous commit. That way you can look back at your commit history and see changes that might be entirely gone in your current code.

If you really want to start, you could:

• Download a clean copy of the LotGD version you started with
  • Start a git repository in the clean copy's directory
  • Add all of the code and create the first commit from the clean code
  • Copy the contents of your current code into the clean directory, overwriting all files (don't overwrite the clean directory itself, just the contents, otherwise the git information will be deleted)

At this point, the outstanding changes in git should represent the changes you have made. If you want, you can try to add files in groups and make commits that approximate your changes. Otherwise you can just add all of your changes, make that a single "first update" commit, and make commits for individual changes going forward.

It's a bit of effort, and it depends on you getting the exact version of the game you started with, but if you want to start using version control it's one option.

Thanks.
I can try this.
One thing I DID do...while making changes...was to normally save a backup copy of the original code file in the actualy directory...so most of my changes should be able to be identified...as to WHAT FILES I changed...but not necessarily what changes were made...that I would have to go in and look at code...or does this do that for you?

For example...one file I radically changed was pageparts.php

I have a helluva stats bar on the right side on my screen.

But, in my file directory, I have papeparts.php and pageparts.php.orig
The second file being the clean copy that got uploaded in the first place.

I am not certain I did this from jump street with my game, but pretty sure I started doing this early on when I started messing with core code...so that if I screwed up somehow, I could always get back to the original.
phu
Militia

Web and mobile dev

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »

If you follow the procedure I suggested, you'll get the same as taking the difference between the old files you kept and your updated versions; they'll just be part of the git history (which you can browse or revert at any time). I think your best bet is to stick with the procedure I suggested; keep a couple copies in a couple places of your current files, just in case something catastrophic happens, which it can when you're new at this sort of thing. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
18 Guests, 0 Users