• September 23, 2017, 11:19:55 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Test Server  (Read 423 times)
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:31 PM »

Could anyone actually help me with doing a test server???  I am absolutely clueless as to how to do this.
Stephen.Kise
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »

Could anyone actually help me with doing a test server???  I am absolutely clueless as to how to do this.

Absolutely! It's fine if you do not know what to do. Just remember that your learning experience is also someone else's learning experience in the future. If someone googles "How to host a LotGD", they will stumble upon this. Gotta look at it positively.

First thing to ask is if you are going to host locally on your own personal machine, that only you can access, or would you want to host a public test server? If you are going to host a public test server, what kind of hosting do you have now for your live server; is it on a VPS, or just a shared host? If you are going to host it privately, then we need to know what type of operating system you have. Also, for any type of hosting,which version of PHP are you going to run? PHP 7 runs LotGD a lot faster, but the current DragonPrime stable version has issues with PHP 7. PHP 5.4 is just fine, but you will miss out on new features, and you will receive less help from the PHP community as a whole.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »

Could anyone actually help me with doing a test server???  I am absolutely clueless as to how to do this.

Absolutely! It's fine if you do not know what to do. Just remember that your learning experience is also someone else's learning experience in the future. If someone googles "How to host a LotGD", they will stumble upon this. Gotta look at it positively.

First thing to ask is if you are going to host locally on your own personal machine, that only you can access, or would you want to host a public test server? If you are going to host a public test server, what kind of hosting do you have now for your live server; is it on a VPS, or just a shared host? If you are going to host it privately, then we need to know what type of operating system you have. Also, for any type of hosting,which version of PHP are you going to run? PHP 7 runs LotGD a lot faster, but the current DragonPrime stable version has issues with PHP 7. PHP 5.4 is just fine, but you will miss out on new features, and you will receive less help from the PHP community as a whole.

I run Windows 10.
On my public live server, it is a shared host?  I don't have the money for VPS.

I need to run as low a version of PHP as I can that is the most likely to also work with all the old stuff I have,that also would work with LOtGD.

That help for starters?

By the way, I have done a lot of core edits...not sure if that matters for what we are talking about.  My pageparts.php looks NOTHING like core anymore, and I also have banks and stables in the dead cities (I use both Valhalla and The Underworld) and I have mounts available ONLY in the dead towns.

Stuff like that makes my site very unique and that is why I am very reluctant to upgrade, because I need to keep this stuff that I worked very hard on...stuff that makes my site unique and sets it apart from other sites.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:08:55 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »

You need to find out what versions of php and (my?)sql you're currently using as your test server should be as near a mirror image as possible.

I recommend installing apache server on your home PC and the installation files for php/sql. And phpMyAdmin, you can use the latest version I think. But if you can find a free host with the same versions then that's probably just as good. Smiley

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »

You need to find out what versions of php and (my?)sql you're currently using as your test server should be as near a mirror image as possible.

I recommend installing apache server on your home PC and the installation files for php/sql. And phpMyAdmin, you can use the latest version I think. But if you can find a free host with the same versions then that's probably just as good. Smiley

OK, so is there a way to find out from my server company what versions, or can I get that info off my C-Panel or what...I really am not all that sure.  The site was originally set up for me by someone who knows a lot more than I do about that end of things.  I have learned (self-taught) to do PHP coding, and to work with MySQL by way of PHPMyAdmin, and so on.  But I do not know a whole lot about setting up the front end.

I'm working within a framework someone else built for me is what i am getting at.  I did do the upgrade from 1.0.6 to 1.1.0 on my own, but that is still back-end work and not front-end, setting up the framework, which I never have done before...so please forgive me if my questions seem really stupid.

I just know the stuff I know and never really learned the stuff I did not need to know because someone else had set that up.  Maybe it is about time I learn this, but I need some help to do that.  None f us are born knowing how to do this stuff...and all the manuals and stuff you can find online...they might as well be written in Greek, I think they make it more complicated than it needs to be.

So, whoever is willing to hold my hand a bit and walk me through this so I can learn by doing, that is great.  Because that IS how I learn.  Manuals, classes, webinars...they don't help.  I'm not one who earns that way...i learn y doing. 

My first ever modules are the Valhalla Ten Pack (which I did under my original name and not under TGTarheel)  -and to do those, I did what I always do to learn things....I reverse-engineered something that already worked....pulled it apart to see how it worked, and then put it back together the way i wanted it to work...and by doing, learned how to code myself, and now I code my own modules from scratch and have many unique modules.  The most recent I shared public was Miyagi's Topiary, which even that was a re-engineering of Red Yates' pumpkin module, but I added stuff in that was all my own.

Other stuff I have programmed completely from scratch.  But it is all still back-end and not front-end.  So now I need to learn the front end and I could use a bit of help...and I apologize for being very wordy here.
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »

Yeah, somewhere in C-Panel there'll be a page that shows you the versions. Smiley

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »

Yeah, somewhere in C-Panel there'll be a page that shows you the versions. Smiley

Damned if I see where...
DarknessFalls
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »

It is possibly under your "Software and Services" section in your Cpanel. It might be named differently, but there are a few sections under that category such as...
Cachewall
Select PHP Version
SiteBuilder
Softalicious

At least that's what I've seen generally where it is located over the years.
Stephen.Kise
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 07:23:39 AM »

Friendly reminder that phpinfo(); should show your Apache/Nginx version as well as your phone version.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »

It is possibly under your "Software and Services" section in your Cpanel. It might be named differently, but there are a few sections under that category such as...
Cachewall
Select PHP Version
SiteBuilder
Softalicious

At least that's what I've seen generally where it is located over the years.

I can look.
 was clicking various things on my C-Panel and not getting what i needed before I posted my last...

Nope not seeing anything that helps.  Seriously.  i am clueless on this one.

I found softalucious, whatever...and it had phpBB in there but I don't think that is what I want....
I am clueless, clueless, clueless as to how to find this information...I have NO IDEA what version of PHP my server runs, i never had any reason to need to know before.

Laugh if you all want to.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:54:01 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »

...and it had phpBB in there but I don't think that is what I want....

phpBB is a bulletin board

I am clueless, clueless, clueless as to how to find this information...I have NO IDEA what version of PHP my server runs, i never had any reason to need to know before.

Google is clueFULL.  Are you making use of it?

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&source=hp&q=how+to+find+out+what+version+of+php+my+server+is+running&oq=how+to+find+out+what+version+of+php+my+server+is+running&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.527.8738.0.8901.57.56.0.0.0.0.185.5715.33j22.55.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.54.5516.0..0i131k1j0i22i30k1.1w5CTd3W2uo

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »

...and it had phpBB in there but I don't think that is what I want....

phpBB is a bulletin board

Google is clueFULL.  Are you making use of it?

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&source=hp&q=how+to+find+out+what+version+of+php+my+server+is+running&oq=how+to+find+out+what+version+of+php+my+server+is+running&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.527.8738.0.8901.57.56.0.0.0.0.185.5715.33j22.55.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.54.5516.0..0i131k1j0i22i30k1.1w5CTd3W2uo

That was what I thought, that phpBB was a bulletin board.
As to Google, not much help in determining where I find out what version of PHP I am running.

I give up I will just call my damn hosting company and ask them.

I can't find it.

There ARE people that Google does not help much.  I am NOT a webinar sort of person, I learn by being SHOWN and then by DOING.
All the manuals and webinars in the world won't teach me squat.  Not all of us are geared to learn things the same way, just sayin.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 05:15:50 AM »

As to Google, not much help in determining where I find out what version of PHP I am running.

I can't find it.

There ARE people that Google does not help much.  I am NOT a webinar sort of person, I learn by being SHOWN and then by DOING.
All the manuals and webinars in the world won't teach me squat.  Not all of us are geared to learn things the same way, just sayin.

Attacking people who are telling you how to do it, that's not going to help you. Especially when someone told you how to run one function to find out what you want.

I mean no offense by this, but if you can't do this, then why are you? If you can't learn it, especially when you have been shown...?

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »

I can't find it.

Attacking people who are telling you how to do it, that's not going to help you. Especially when someone told you how to run one function to find out what you want.

I mean no offense by this, but if you can't do this, then why are you? If you can't learn it, especially when you have been shown...?

First, I am not attacking.  I am simply explaining the way I learn things.
Second, I have NOT been shown.  Because I do not see.  Please point to where I was SHOWN.
Third, I guess you were just born knowing how to do this stuff, lucky you.  I was not.  I am TRYING to learn.  Which is why I am trying to tell people HOW I learn, so that I am actually helped for real.
Fourth, I have never meant any attack, or any offense, so if any has been taken by anyone I apologize.  Tone does not convey well in type.

I am telling you I looked in the C-Panel, and I see nowhere to find the information I want.  I just plain don't.  So I guess that makes me stupid.
I personally am feeling very attacked by you, at the moment, Aeolus.  I was getting some kind assistance, though not quite what I needed yet.
Please leave this to those who will be kind, okay?
At your request, I got off your thread.  I now make the same request of you...and in a much kinder manner than you made the same request of me.
Please honor the request and let folks who are being kind assist me, thanks.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 04:09:12 AM »

First, I am not attacking.  I am simply explaining the way I learn things.
Second, I have NOT been shown.  Because I do not see.  Please point to where I was SHOWN.
Third, I guess you were just born knowing how to do this stuff, lucky you.  I was not.  I am TRYING to learn.  Which is why I am trying to tell people HOW I learn, so that I am actually helped for real.
Fourth, I have never meant any attack, or any offense, so if any has been taken by anyone I apologize.  Tone does not convey well in type.

I am telling you I looked in the C-Panel, and I see nowhere to find the information I want.  I just plain don't.  So I guess that makes me stupid.
I personally am feeling very attacked by you, at the moment, Aeolus.  I was getting some kind assistance, though not quite what I needed yet.
Please leave this to those who will be kind, okay?
At your request, I got off your thread.  I now make the same request of you...and in a much kinder manner than you made the same request of me.
Please honor the request and let folks who are being kind assist me, thanks.

I replied about your question, you were not talking about the Multi Poke module. Difference. People have told you what to do, step by step. I also self-taught myself everything coding-based. Cheerio.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
22 Guests, 0 Users