• December 13, 2017, 06:22:46 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abigail The Street Hawker Is Narrow-Minded - I Fixed This...  (Read 1234 times)
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

OK, so I noticed that Abigail always assumes people are in opposite-gender marriages.  I know, narrow minded...right??

I am working very hard to make my realm an open, welcoming place to all orientations and gender identities.  (I do not know if there is any real way to accommodate gender non-conforming people, unfortunately)

Anyway...I noticed...a same-gender couple (female) was being offered gifts for their spouse apprpriate for men.  Because Abigai was narrow-mindedly assuming that a woman MUST be married to a man, right?

So I fixed her little red wagon.

Now...the module I fixed up...checks for the gender of one's PARTNER.

This is still in testing at the moment, I am having a few players test this out.

I know now that my happy same-sex cuple is getting appropriate gift choices.

If this worked as I think, then opposite-gender couples should notice no difference...and unmarried ones should not, either...as this still DOES assume opposite-gender for the System Partner...for unmarried players.

If it does work out as I think, I will be happy to attach my copy here for anyone else who would like to make thier site more open and welcoming to same-gender couples and to transgender people who use Dr. Paprika (which is how I discovered this problem, by the way...an opposite-gender couple just became a same-gender couple!)

Of course, any file I attach will be properly credited noting only my tweak to accommodate same-gender couples.
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »

Yeah there's been many a discussion over the years about how there's only 2 sexes in the game and a gender field should be added etc. Hopefully the next version that's being worked on will have these. Smiley

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:14:43 PM »

Yeah there's been many a discussion over the years about how there's only 2 sexes in the game and a gender field should be added etc. Hopefully the next version that's being worked on will have these. Smiley

I am not sure how you handle this, to be honest.  In case you did not figure this out just from my name, in real life, I am trans.  This is why gender issues are very important to me.

Anyway...I fixed Abigail now, it was NOT working my first attemppt.  I created a dummy female character, and it offered female gifts to her for Seth...not good.  Unless there is something we do not know about Seth!!

But I fixed that, and now the same-gender female couple is getting offered female gifts for each other, and my dummmy female character is being offered male gifts for Seth.  Next, i need to use Dr. Paprika, to make this character male...and see if it offers female gifts to Violet.

Then I need a same-sex male couple to test this on...and an opposite-sex couple too.  But I think I have it right now...but still just for the two genders Male and Female.

I think you would almost have to limit Abigail to not offer anything to anyone not married, and not of the two main genders...or anyone married to someone not of the two main genders.  Or get a third set of gender-neutral gifts.

But how do we handle gender when there are so many choices out there...and you would want to accommodate all of them?  I am an old trans, when I came out there was only the binary, you were one or the other, that's it...and those of us who were trans...were just closer to the pole on the spectrum of gender opposite one would expect given the birth anatomy.

Now, there are bi-gender, dual-gender, two-spirit, non,-gender, gender non conforming, genderqueer, Neutrois...just to name a few!!  I will be honest, it is even a learning experience for ME...because there was no place - when I came out...for anything outside the binary.

Then the issue also comes up concerning gender pronouns.  Some prefer She/her (like me) others He/him, or They/theirs...or even Ze/Zir...and other forms of gender pronouns I have seen as well.

Not quite sure how you actually handle all of this and still be open, welcoming and affirming of all genders...

Orientation is a little easier; allowing same-gender flirts/marriage can handle most of that, because it could accommmodate G L and B.

Of course, there could be more out there that I am not too hip to...because of course, being T...I am not as aware of the sexual orientation spectrum as I am of the gender spectrum.

BUT...I digress incredibly on this...and I think i got Abigail to do what was wanted now...and if anyone wants me to...I could submit a file on Abigail, where it accommodates same-gender marriages.  I will only do this after i have fully tested it out, though.

I would like to know if there is any interest in this.....because I think I fixed Abigail's little red wagon on this one now.
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »

The genders can be easily dealt with. A module to add a dropdown menu of all the different types to the registration form. This would be displayed on the player's bio page for role playing purposes. Smiley

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:16:21 AM »

Yes, but how to deal with all those modules that assume a binary gender system?

You'd not believe how much I had to fuss with Abigail to make her work right.

I had to check if married or unmarried.  If unmarried, then we used the player's gender and assumed opposite-gender interest...since there is no way in the original core to specify otherwise.

With married couple's, it checks now for the gender of the player's partner...regarless of what gender the player is...and offers gifts for that gender.  The only reason it checks for a married player's gender is the "Sir/Madam" part of this.

But I got it all working.  Like I said in my submission thread, I had to break out the allprefs and just use traditional prefs...allprefs are just difficult for me to work with.  And, probably, my coding is a bit sloppy, doubtless someone more experienced than me could have done it better, but nobody else did.
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »

Yes, but how to deal with all those modules that assume a binary gender system?

You'd just have to edit every single one of them. One you figure out the correct code it's just a case of copy and paste. Smiley

To do what you're wanting, it may be easier to edit the core code to allow for more than 2 sexes. It's your game, hack away. Cheesy

For example on the registration form it asks you to pick a sex and after each choice you could have the pronouns in brackets.

You might have to draw the line somewhere, after all this is a fantasy game where you're supposed to become someone other than yourself. Smiley

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »

True, dat, Mark.

I am not about to undertake that momentuous a core code editing.  If I can accommodate GLB and T...I'm pretty good there for now.  I'll let better minds than mine deal with the other stuff.

I seem to have encountered an unanticipated problem on the Abigail module.  I got a player trapped on a error with abigail...the player I sent a gift to...it was coming back with a stack about the syntax for calling from the database not being right.

I temporarily took out the module.  I think I got at the problem, and if I did I will upload a new copy.

The problem now, is...my player is stranded in la-la land...and I am darned if I can get them back...now it hangs on Lonny's Who's Here module, so that gave me an idea where to look...

And in the MySQL database, this players return location, sure enough...is null.

So I edited that in the database for the moment to be news.php and fixed broken navs for the player.  Waiting for them to log back in and try to see if that broke them out.

Only the mandatory system player who is a horrible gelatinous blob...has a null location.  I don't think Lonny Luberts ever anticpated my particulr problem, and Who's Here was trying to look in a null location...is my guess as to the reason for the new stack my stuck player got.

At least it had the virtue of no other player having that same situation!

So, once I get that player back...IF I get them back...I can re-try the new Abigail module again.  I saw it only from the giver side when I uploaded it here first.

But it caused a problem on the recipient side...and this person uses a screenreader which makes this a ton of fun for me to figure out.

What I figured out...on the giver side...was that there was NO NEED to call the database again to get the player partner's name for the newday hook, since that info was already stored in the player pref I built into the thing to make the rest of it work...so I re=wrote the code in the newday hook to just call the existing pref instead of calling the database again...that should fix the pronlem, and then nobody gets stuck and thrown into limbo...at least that is the hope.

So...for right now....DO NOT DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL MY ABIGAIL MODULE!!!
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »

Update,
I was temporarily able to fix the problem...but then, the problem happened again.

Taking out Lonny's Who's Here module solves the problem.

It seems my version of Abigail will not play nice with the Who's Here module, not sure why.

Being as such, for now, i took out Who's Here...as it is more important for me to be inclusive of same gender marriages, and transender people.

I could upload the absolute latest of my abigal module here and if anyone sees a problem causing the conflict with Lonny's module....great, i could try something...but if I gotta choose between same-gender marriage/transgender confirmation and Lonny's module, i know where I land.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
19 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search