• June 22, 2017, 06:53:23 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Table Help  (Read 734 times)
RaynDarren
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »

I have a table that I'm attempting to make fully accessible. So far, it's gone wonderfully and everything is working. Where I run into trouble is...

I wish to color code the table so that for example all items that would go into a soup would be red and all items that would go into a pie would be blue.  I can code them in the table itself as `$red and `1blue, however I cannot make this portion accessible.  Any suggestions?
-I've tried <th>`1Bright Blue</th> and <td>`1Bright Blue</td>, both with no success.

Thank you very much for the help!
~Rayn

Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »

What exactly do you mean by "accessible"? I'm not sure that I'm completely understanding you.

RaynDarren
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »

Accessible means set up with table headers for screen readers to read. What I want to do is to make the colors read without having to put the word "Red" for example before the word Carrot in the table. Make sense?

Eliwood
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »

Classically, text which is intended for screen readers only are moved "away" with CSS from the visible area:

http://www.coolfields.co.uk/2016/05/text-for-screen-readers-only-updated/

I would, however, think again about the design of your interface.

Daenerys LotGD-Remake using PHP7 and a modern, headless approach.
RaynDarren
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

Thanks for the info Eliwood! I'll bookmark the URL you've listed, but I won't be going with colors as a way to denote things as it's just too busy; too many colors in too small a space, Smiley. Might you have a suggestion as to your comment of:

...I would, however, think again about the design of your interface.

Eliwood
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »

Depends on what exactly you like to achieve. I (or someone else) might be able to give you a more fitting suggestion if you describe more what the interface should do.

For example, instead of putting everything in one table, use two separate ones. Or, since it's a table anyway, add a column which contains the information for what it's for. You could also make use of a select-element that allows multiple selections if you need interaction.

RaynDarren
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply Eliwood Smiley.  Here's a more information, hopefully it will help. Smiley

My table has 7 columns. the first 2 columns contain a list of skills that will add to each other and total to the main skills listed in the 7th column. For example. in column 1 there are the skills of alchemy, chemistry, herbology, geology, Anatomy and two History skills. In column 2 there are the skills, thaumatology, symbology, art/crafting, symbol drawing, component gathering and recipe reading. In columns 3, 4 and 5are the skills of magic by category, languages, lore by type and knowledge of the Gods; these skills are conditional and will add to specific recipes only. Column 6 contains mercantile skills used only at sale point. Column 7 contains the prime skills that everything adds into.

What I need is some way to denote that herbology adds to the prime alchemy skill, but also adds to the prime cooking skill and the prime art skill and so on.

I could just make a table for each prime skill, but I'd really like to avoid doing that as there are 10 prime skills and that would be an incredible amount of work.

I've never used the select element outside of SELECT in sql queries and am not 100% sure I even fully understand your suggestion of using it.

I hope this helps explain things further, if not, I can provide screenshots to show exactly what I'm looking for, though they will take assistance and probably cannot be posted today Smiley.

Thanks again,
~Rayn

Eliwood
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:08:56 AM »

What is the aim of the table? Is it an interface where the player has to select the skills? Or just to provide an overview?

Tables are awesome to provide quick comparison of the result of you change a variable, or to show physical rows of a database table. What you intend to do doesn't sound like a table to me, more like 7 lists in 7 columns. Do the columns in the row have any relationship at all?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
23 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search