• October 19, 2017, 02:49:15 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition to Upgrade this Forum  (Read 2262 times)
austenmc
Militia

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:41:14 AM »

I want to discuss a sensitive topic, so bear with me here.

The software running this forum is quite old and has many issues:
* the registration process sometimes takes too long for new users, as I've had people contact me via other services to ask for help with registration. The reason Talisman has given me for this is the forum software doesn't handle spam registration accounts well.
* there are many dead links on the site.
* it lacks basic features like @mentions and mobile support.
* markup language is proprietary, archaic and verbose.
* the email notifications are rather poor.
* it has its share of bugs, like the tiny preview window Smiley

I'd like to petition Talisman to upgrade the forum to something more modern and supported, like Discourse. Please comment below if you agree.

I've contacted Talisman directly about upgrading a couple of times, offering engineering support to help make it happen and even offering to take on the hosting cost going forward. My most recent requests have gone unanswered so I've turned to a public post Sad

Talisman: let's please migrate to a modern system to help keep the community alive. As a good faith gesture, and to show that I'm serious, I've sent in $20 via PayPal.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:39:38 PM by austenmc » Logged
Eliwood
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:00:52 AM »

The odd, outdated registration method really stops people from joining here - fresh blood that might want to contribute and are put off by the registration procecure. LotGD needs something new, and it needs to be open to newcomers.

Daenerys LotGD-Remake using PHP7 and a modern, headless approach.
Anharat
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »

It's known that Talisman has hardly any time for this site anymore, which is also the reason why this forum was not upgraded before.

But I wonder, if you are willing to take the costs and when people are contacting you via other services for registration anyway, why don't you just create a new forum? Sure, you wish that Deanerys may become official and dragonprime is the website that's linked on all the existing servers, but still you could start something and maybe in time you might get the page name or it will be migrated to this site.

But I dunno if it's worth waiting to be honest - even with a public appeal like this.

austenmc
Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:56 PM »

why don't you just create a new forum? Sure, you wish that Deanerys may become official and dragonprime is the website that's linked on all the existing servers, but still you could start something

I haven't ruled this out, but it feels divisive and like you said, there are numerous links to this site around the web and my purpose is to draw in more contributors via these links, so having another site is a long-way around to this end.

Will give it a bit more time Smiley
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:58:22 PM »

You have mail, Austen  Smiley

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
wmza
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:06:03 PM »

You can install XenForo. I worked a lot with him . You can port the entire database and links from this forum .
pharis
Militia

Take this it's dangerous to go alone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 05:52:31 AM »

I would be happy to contribute. I could help with some graphics and a donation or two 😁
Actually i donated 10$ today 😜
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
22 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search