• August 19, 2017, 11:41:18 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current/Active Revival Attempts  (Read 6424 times)
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

Hmm .. Its maybe the wrong place to say it but i cant send personal messages ( nor reply actually ) . Missing smt ?

You need 5(?) public posts to send PMs.

pharis
Militia

Take this it's dangerous to go alone

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »

Did miss that somehow. Thx Smiley
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 05:40:05 AM »

Hello again

Is there a comprehensive list of links for the forks ppl are working on besides Daenerys ? I noticed Aeolus and Stephen are working on two different projects and that Weremagi wanted to put some links on the post with more information. Is that still a thing ?

Cheesy
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »

Hello again

Is there a comprehensive list of links for the forks ppl are working on besides Daenerys ? I noticed Aeolus and Stephen are working on two different projects and that Weremagi wanted to put some links on the post with more information. Is that still a thing ?

Cheesy

I'm not specifically working on anything; I just supplied an updated version of the currently-available core that has most of the reported bugs fixed.

pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 02:38:37 AM »

ok. Thx for the clarification.

Anyone else ?
austenmc
Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »

I don't know of any other efforts than the ones you mentioned. Come join us! Smiley
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »

i would love to, but if i would to join / start smt ( i must admit i have been testing some concepts in the last days ) i would aim for a mix of text-based and board game with persistence and multiplayer real time interactions through sockets. My motivation would suffer a lot with the way Daenerys is set up. I cant help it. Thats the reason i was looking for an overview of the current attempts. I don't want to feel like i am at work lol.

I live in both the backend and the frontend worlds and strongly believe that we don't need a heavyweight of a framework for such a project. A fast and slim one would fit the project better and has faster results. I wrote two for internal company uses and they do what they were designed for without all the overhead that other bigger and badder enterprise applications usually need. And this is the last thing i want : building an enterprise application.

Ever considered going another route where we can meet in the middle ?

I don't want to be the guy that starts an own fork cos i know better, its just that i don't want to burn my motivation and then leave the project silently.

I am used to finish the projects i start or get involved in , its a state of mind , but the motivation must be there.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:58:32 PM by pharis » Logged
Eliwood
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 06:47:54 AM »

The daenerys core doesn't use a complete framework. It just uses doctrine for database and different framework components (monolog, symfony/console and symfony/yaml) for smaller stuff.

The crate, on the other hand, uses the complete symfony stack for a very simple reason: It was one of the frameworks that had a graphql plugin ready. And we are using a framework for a very simple reason: Time contraint. We didn't want to spent weeks developing a graphql addon for a smaller framework so we just took what's around.

Daenerys LotGD-Remake using PHP7 and a modern, headless approach.
austenmc
Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 03:24:19 PM »

@pharis tell us more about your goals and how you would recommend setting up a LotGD project that supports web+mobile and around 10k users / day? Adding realtime support sounds like it would benefit from a structured, multi-layered approach.
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 06:41:28 PM »

Ya, you guys probably are right with that approach for 10k users / day, but then again lotgd is not a 10k user thing, it always was a smaller , more friendly place ( at least thats how i experienced it ) , i personally prefer to play with 250 players that i get to know in time rather than with 10k users that hang around by the hundreds in a "lonely" and cursed forest.

I like things with small user numbers where ppl get to know each other and offer "meaningful" interactions rather than an enterprise level application.
Huge numbers of players only make things difficult to manage and things get out of hand quickly. With 1000s of players, the sense of mistery and danger gets lost. ( ya you could do it with instances , but then again , meh ) This is my personal opinion, and i am ok with ppl not sharing the same view.

Minecraft did it the same way. Rather than having huge servers, ppl can host own servers pretty easily with 10-20 users and it is fine.

I prefer that.

I started working on a small framework for fun , avoiding as much dependencies as possible , a thing that can be setup fast and be built upon and the basics work ( small ORM , controllers , services , models , templates , scenes and events stored in JSON and passed to a simple scene engine on a client etc ) its fast, its "simple" in comparison with Symfony and all the stuff it offers. Is it as secure , or as flexible as the big guys ? probably not, but then again, its for fun and if it ever reaches a point where it can be used, ill share it and let the Internet rain down on me. Its a good way to hone my skills and relearn things i forgot without ignoring modern patterns in PHP.

In the best of cases , something will be created that is a bit easy for ppl to install and customise and run themselves , in the worst i will get bored or will run out of time or whatever. I do it for fun and because i love the Lotgd style.

Cheers Cheesy
Nightborn
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »

There are various good points raised here.

If you deviate too much from the currently user-friendly install, pushing top notch technologies in that require quite some setup/effort/server requirements, it begins a new project.

You could make the current engine mobile friendly, using templating.
Basically not the really big rework, but doable.
I've done a small template thingy, but it's far from complete.
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »

oh, thats nice Smiley Any moody graphics in the templates as well ?

Cheesy
Nightborn
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »

Not really moody Cheesy I removed most of the graphics to make all the stuff displayed ingame to be able to work on a mobile device (phone).

Not easy with the 3 column layout in lotgd =/
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »

Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia