• June 25, 2018, 10:47:45 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current/Active Revival Attempts  (Read 12502 times)
WereMagi
Militia

I like trains.

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »

Just asking on how many of these projects of revival, rewrite, renewal/update or side-grade projects are there.

I am aware of Stephen.Kise's GitHub project, as well as Austan' Daenerys project, but just asking if there were other doing their own thing in regards to bringing LoGD into a more fresher state.

I just want to follow/stalk/lurk these projects out of interest.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:35:51 PM »

All I'm doing is keeping the copy of the code linked in my signature up to date with error fixes. Don't have much time for anything else.

Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:30:32 AM »

Just asking on how many of these projects of revival, rewrite, renewal/update or side-grade projects are there.

I am aware of Stephen.Kise's GitHub project, as well as Austan' Daenerys project, but just asking if there were other doing their own thing in regards to bringing LoGD into a more fresher state.

I just want to follow/stalk/lurk these projects out of interest.

I want to put in a few words regarding the mentioned forks. They all have their own focus, and cannot really be compared to each other. Except maybe mine and Aeolus'.

Daenerys is going to be awesome. I can promise that. Smiley It will be easily modifiable for clients of all types to connect to a server! It shouldn't be compared at all to the current state of LotGD. Transitioning to Daenerys will be hard for the community at large, but people will join in eventually anyways.

Aeolus has all of the core fixes done for the versions up to PHP 7. All of the main issues that were fixed there are bugs that made accessing the game impossible.

Mine is pretty much the same as Aeolus, but making the requirement to install the game being PHP5.6+, and cleaning up all of the ugly mess. I am going to introduce new features, such as a template engine, expanding on the battle system that has been broken, making the game easier to manage, have a module system that will be much easier to use, and move towards an OOP approach.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:17:51 AM »

I did have plans to completely remove the entire battle system, and replace it with a new/different leveling system. Had my eye on a real-time colony management system, had some plans made for it too. Never got around to it, though.

WereMagi
Militia

I like trains.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:58 PM »

... PHP5.6+

Your signature says 7!

But yeah, I knew they were all different, hence the desire to follow their progress at the moment, so when I have confidence in my ability, I know which projects I'm more able to assist with lending a hand.
WereMagi
Militia

I like trains.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:08:21 PM »

Sorry for the double post but we can then assume that these projects are the currently active attempts to brush off dust from the core code? Mostly asking as I'll edit my main post later this week with links and such, for myself and others that come in here and wonder what's happening.
Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 02:33:11 AM »

Sorry for the double post but we can then assume that these projects are the currently active attempts to brush off dust from the core code? Mostly asking as I'll edit my main post later this week with links and such, for myself and others that come in here and wonder what's happening.

Mine and Aeolus are suggestions to improve the core for future use. Aeolus applied patches to critical issues that are needed to get the server up and running on later PHP versions. Mine is to change how the core works to a degree of making it easier to memorize all of the functions, and of course later PHP version support. So yes, ours are suggested alternatives to the current core, since it needs update.

Daenerys, however, is entirely different and is not just 'brushing the dust off'. It aims to replace the current core entirely if executed properly.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5
Eliwood
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 04:14:15 AM »

Daenerys, however, is entirely different and is not just 'brushing the dust off'. It aims to replace the current core entirely if executed properly.

To add to this:

Daenerys will not be backwards compatible at all to the current core and will be to it what 0.9.8 was to 0.9.7: A big step forward. In the end, we hope that Daenerys is nothing more than a framework on which can be used to provide a lotgd server, but also something vastly different (but still mud-like).

Daenerys LotGD-Remake using PHP7 and a modern, headless approach.
WereMagi
Militia

I like trains.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »

It's brushing off dust... and skin and some bones. Is that spare kidney the framework doesn't need?

But yeah, bad at wording what I wanted, been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately, which makes unable to English due to still being in awe.

But thanks for the info, will update the post eventually.
pharis
Militia

Take this it's dangerous to go alone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:57:59 AM »

Hello ppl Cheesy

Lately i wanted to check if LOTGD was still a thing and found dragonprime.net and i am honestly relieved that there is still some life in it.
As i see, there are a couple of attempts to refresh the code and the game as such. I was wondering if there are any plans among the "revival attempts" to implement Graphics in the style of say the old "live your adventure" gamebooks. Little touches of css3 and audio to complement the whole.

I am not referring to the excessive and mandatory use of animations and sound, only mere images and small effects that can be added optionally by the admin.

Is there such a project at the moment ?

Regards
austenmc
Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »

My thoughts with the Daenerys rewrite are to include sound and visuals to indicate weather in the mobile version, but this is a long way away Smiley

The Daenerys core will easily support graphical extensions. Care to help us work on it? Smiley
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

i have checked the githug page of Daenerys , have to take a better deeper look at it. It has a professional approach to it for sure but maybe it is too complex for most users ( my opinion ). I am guessing that a slim framework built solely for the game would make things easier and less intimidating than using say Symphony. Its a good Platform but brings lots of stuff that eventualy slow things down.

This is only my opinion , dont hit me Cheesy

Have you considered to develop it on a slimmer Framework ?

austenmc
Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »

Your concerns are totally valid, and I believe that if Daenerys fails, other than for lack of finishing it Smiley, it will be because of its complexity.

There were a couple of reasons we went down this path:
  • I will really only stay motivated if Im learning something I can apply elsewhere, so learning new frameworks and technologies was an explicit goal of the project.
  • To attract new (skilled) developers, I think we need more modern technologies.
  • My hope is we can advance the code to a state where module developers and basic game admins work w/ the constructs we've created instead of Symfony, etc. So we can create convenience functions that make it as easy or easier to develop modules than the legacy codebase.
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »

Oh ok i see.

Daenerys Seems to be the most advanced attempt so far , besides the update in the making ( 1.2 ). Correct me if i am wrong.

As for myself , i am a grown up nerd , love boardgame mechanics , have a faible for adventure games of old and of course , played lotgd alot like 10 years ago.

I am a codemonkey during the day and a nerd during the night.

Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:34:34 AM by pharis » Logged
pharis
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »

Hmm .. Its maybe the wrong place to say it but i cant send personal messages ( nor reply actually ) . Missing smt ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
49 Guests, 0 Users