• April 26, 2019, 09:18:33 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I start on customizing my game?  (Read 2508 times)
FanboyStudios
Militia

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »

I have the game installed and running. I didn't install any modules yet and I want to change the entire theme of the game to a hunger games theme. The game is located at http://thgrpg.vacau.com/

Edit: thgrpg.vacau.com is extinct... New server up at mockingjay.rpglink.in
I changed the theme, but it somehow don't look right. Perhaps it has to do with my font change. I set Bank Gothic as the default font. (Which is not a common font.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:59:59 AM by FanboyStudios » Logged
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

Install modules. Use a new template. Translate the text. Create new masters, creatures, etc. And so on and so forth.

RaynDarren
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »

First thing's first, do you know anything about PHP or any type of coding language? If not, then all of your edits will need to be done on the game itself using either the translation tool or the translation wizard and NOT in the code.

After you've answered that, start with the storyline as it will be the most extensive and require the most editing. Things like creatures, mounts, pets, specialties, dwellings and other additional modules or alterations are easily done and mostly will just require data input.

Things like templates, colors, page layout or setup and images or sounds that you'd like to add should be done AFTER you get the bare bones done, at lest in my opinion. I personally really enjoy creating templates and playing with colors, but unless you know what you're doing, it's not something I'd just into right off.

I've run a LotGD for 9 years and have worked for RPGLink for nearly 3, I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you may have, either here or privately.

Best of luck to you!
~Rayn
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:22:48 PM by RaynDarren » Logged

FanboyStudios
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »

I do know a little bit of programming. But I don't know PHP.

Are the templates created using CSS?
RaynDarren
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »

CSS and HTML yes. As to learning PHP, W3Schools has great tutorials. Understand though that the PHP used here with LoTGD and standard PHP  have significant differences, so once you have the basics down, I'd recommend picking a module, people usually start with a forest special, and altering it until you begin to understand how things work. PHP isn't hard, particularly if you know some programming to start with.

FanboyStudios
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »

Had problems with hosting.... so i have a new address for the rpg. Also after its completion, I will put an app on the Google Play Store! I'll probably link this page on the splash screen on the app and encourage people to make their own server of any theme. My hunger games themed one will be a bit more involved, with new game days happening every 30 minutes. So perhaps people without the patience to play a text-based game might enjoy playing this game. PVP will also be enabled with no option to disable, for a more hard core hg feel.
LordChaos
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »

You do need to get to grips with the mechanics.
There's also little to no challenge having new days set to every 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:45:31 PM by LordChaos » Logged

FanboyStudios
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »

I was just mentioning some differences mine would have from yours. Since I couldn't reply to your pm, but now I can. Either way, I think I've got enough help to perhaps get started. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
17 Guests, 0 Users