• December 16, 2018, 07:20:10 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotGD Rewrite (Daenerys) Weekly Updates  (Read 35260 times)
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 11:58:44 PM »

Thanks for keeping working on the project. I've starred the project on GitHub to follow it. Maybe with a new design I can get younger players to have look at LoGD :-)

No idea why they can't be happy with what was good enough for us old farts.  More eye candy does not equal better game.  Not to impugn what you all are doing, but a commentary on our young these days.
Brendan
I am Brendan.
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »

Thanks for keeping working on the project. I've starred the project on GitHub to follow it. Maybe with a new design I can get younger players to have look at LoGD :-)

No idea why they can't be happy with what was good enough for us old farts.  More eye candy does not equal better game.  Not to impugn what you all are doing, but a commentary on our young these days.

I disagree. It's been 10 years since the last major update. A fresh new release would help keep the game alive, not to mention the benefits of updating the code to Today's standards.
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »

I disagree. It's been 10 years since the last major update. A fresh new release would help keep the game alive, not to mention the benefits of updating the code to Today's standards.

I do not disagree on that benefit.  My comment was more a comment about today's youth who can't be happy with anything that doesn't have tons of resource-hogging eye candy, that's all.
Brendan
I am Brendan.
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »

No idea why they can't be happy with what was good enough for us old farts.  More eye candy does not equal better game.  Not to impugn what you all are doing, but a commentary on our young these days.

I do not disagree on that benefit.  My comment was more a comment about today's youth who can't be happy with anything that doesn't have tons of resource-hogging eye candy, that's all.
Got ya, no worries  Smiley I've been around LoTGD for 14 years so i miss the days when updates came out. I wish i had more time on my hands to update portions myself.
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »

No idea why they can't be happy with what was good enough for us old farts.  More eye candy does not equal better game.  Not to impugn what you all are doing, but a commentary on our young these days.

I do not disagree on that benefit.  My comment was more a comment about today's youth who can't be happy with anything that doesn't have tons of resource-hogging eye candy, that's all.
Got ya, no worries  Smiley I've been around LoTGD for 14 years so i miss the days when updates came out. I wish i had more time on my hands to update portions myself.
I'm just an old-schooler myself and I happen to LIKE the old-school look and feel of things.  I still do some updates, in fact I have another module to release here again shortly.  Yeah, it's based on someone else's stuff once again, but, hey...I never saw the need to re-invent the wheel all that often.  I do have a few unique modules that are all mine and built off nobody else's stuff, but those are the things I keep for me t make my site unique.
Brendan
I am Brendan.
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »

I'm just an old-schooler myself and I happen to LIKE the old-school look and feel of things.  I still do some updates, in fact I have another module to release here again shortly.  Yeah, it's based on someone else's stuff once again, but, hey...I never saw the need to re-invent the wheel all that often.  I do have a few unique modules that are all mine and built off nobody else's stuff, but those are the things I keep for me t make my site unique.

Sounds good
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »

I do not disagree on that benefit.  My comment was more a comment about today's youth who can't be happy with anything that doesn't have tons of resource-hogging eye candy, that's all.

It's not the "eye candy", it's the required updates and the security fixes as well. I'm sure you had no interest in the "resource-hogging eye candy" of FK's modernized template. Keep insulting the good portion of LoGD users and coders that are "today's youth ", you're doing a great job!

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »

It's not the "eye candy", it's the required updates and the security fixes as well. I'm sure you had no interest in the "resource-hogging eye candy" of FK's modernized template. Keep insulting the good portion of LoGD users and coders that are "today's youth ", you're doing a great job!

Hardly what I am talking about about resource-hogging eye candy.  No I mean all the moving graphics and everything else that seem to determine what is a "good game" these days...nobody seems to appreciate the good OLD stuff anymore.   But I still do.

Ever stop and think some of us CAN'T AFFORD the latest, greatest machines that can handle all that load?  And neither could a lot of the youth if they had to pay for it themselves, like I do!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:31:47 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »

Hardly what I am talking about about resource-hogging eye candy.  No I mean all the moving graphics and everything else that seem to determine what is a "good game" these days...nobody seems to appreciate the good OLD stuff anymore.   But I still do.

Ever stop and think some of us CAN'T AFFORD the latest, greatest machines that can handle all that load?  And neither could a lot of the youth if they had to pay for it themselves, like I do!

It seems you haven't read the description on what this rewrite is doing; it's not all about making it a "good game". Nor do I don't have a snazzy new laptop. My spare still runs Vista. I don't do fancy gaming.

Is this project infringing in any way upon what you're doing? Are you being forced into this project? Are we talking away all of the old code and banning anything that's not new? No.

So, I am kindly recommending that you stick to your old code if you enjoy it so much, and keep the "commentary on our young these days" to yourself and quit insulting them (e.g. "today's youth who can't be happy with anything") just because you disagree with other people's views. I, for one, am getting extremely offended by it.

Thank you! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:10:56 AM by Aeolus » Logged

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »

Ever stop and think some of us CAN'T AFFORD the latest, greatest machines that can handle all that load?  And neither could a lot of the youth if they had to pay for it themselves, like I do!

It seems you haven't read the description on what this rewrite is doing; it's not all about making it a "good game". Nor do I don't have a snazzy new laptop. My spare still runs Vista. I don't do fancy gaming.

Is this project infringing in any way upon what you're doing? Are you being forced into this project? Are we talking away all of the old code and banning anything that's not new? No.

So, I am kindly recommending that you stick to your old code if you enjoy it so much, and keep the "commentary on our young these days" to yourself and quit insulting them (e.g. "today's youth who can't be happy with anything") just because you disagree with other people's views. I, for one, am getting extremely offended by it.

Thank you! Cheesy

Well whatever.  You know...you have a way of often being offensive yourself, but I do not think you are anywhere near as sensitive to when you are dishing it out.  Just saying.

Carry on, I am done in this topic.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »

Well whatever.  You know...you have a way of often being offensive yourself, but I do not think you are anywhere near as sensitive to when you are dishing it out.  Just saying.

Carry on, I am done in this topic.

Thank you.

pharis
Militia

Take this it's dangerous to go alone

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »

Calm  down. Ultimately, we are all here because we love the game. The more we are, the better, so that it does not die.
I understand the point TGTarheel as an old schooler myself, but eye candy must not mean we all need a monster PC to play it.

JRPG's from the 90's managed to have a compelling story with some well placed eye candy that was there to enhance the story, things like little portraits and small illustrations, and a bit of sound, even if it was 8 bit Stuff.
An overhaul of the game that allows such nice little touches would be most needed.

In the end we all want to create worlds and tell stories, and i don't see nothing wrong with that.

The more ppl start projects to keep the spirit of LOTGD alive the better.

Peace :-)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »

If someone gets inspired by other posts I previously sent to different topics and the ideas I gave away out there, please let me know. The fairy in the spider's web is enriched already, so, that's done. But I have more ideas swirling around on my pc. And concerning visual effects and other eyecandy: if you include this, please do so but keep in mind that screenreader users (like me) also would like to participate in the fun of gaming. Images and little portraits should also get alt-tags, so that screenreaders know that they are there and what they are depicting; colors are not visible for screenreader users, so, giving some links other colors than others isn't detectable for the blind. For visually impaired (partially sighted) people the situation can be different depending on the specific issues of the impairment. The rnib or American association for the blind surely can provide more info about these issues. Thanks by advance. Sincerely,WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »

Calm  down. Ultimately, we are all here because we love the game. The more we are, the better, so that it does not die.
I understand the point TGTarheel as an old schooler myself, but eye candy must not mean we all need a monster PC to play it.

JRPG's from the 90's managed to have a compelling story with some well placed eye candy that was there to enhance the story, things like little portraits and small illustrations, and a bit of sound, even if it was 8 bit Stuff.
An overhaul of the game that allows such nice little touches would be most needed.

In the end we all want to create worlds and tell stories, and i don't see nothing wrong with that.

The more ppl start projects to keep the spirit of LOTGD alive the better.

Peace :-)

Thank you, Pharis.  You just said better what I was trying to say.  Eye candy should enhance the game without causing someone to need a monster PC to play it.  But these days, it seems to me...that the young want the monster eye candy and that is the only thing that qualifies something as a good game.  Storyline and pot mean nothing to the eye-candy addicts.

I agree an overhaul cpould be a very good thing...as long as it does not cause everyone who does not have and cannot afford a monster PC - to be unable to play it.

I am, as I said an old-schooler and I LIKE simplicity.  I am more interested in a game with an engaging storyline and plot...one which causes you to have to think things through and figure things out.  Eye candy is of no real importance to me.  It's nice if it can be added without causing people with older computers to be unable to play.

@Wolfsbanewillow - I am always willing to - as time permits and interest captures...to work on ideas you have and even implement them, should they prove workable.

You keep referring to the problems sight-challenged people have...since you are sight-challenged yourself, I understand this.  Since you AR...and since you seem to know where all these resources ARE for the sight-challenged...aybe you could provide some direct linkis to the things that you thnk might be helpful?

There was a time, in my early years...where the greatest proportion of my players WERE screenreader users, thus I did as much as I could to make the game as screenreader-friendly as I could...without taking things away from the sighted playing population.  It is not an easy balance to achieve.

For example, on my site, I have the Signet Dungeons.  I am not sure how a screenreader user could actually do these.  I am, however, unwilling to remove them from my site, because to do so would take away from the sighted population that also plays my site.  So if you have any ways that both sighted and sight-challenged can be served, I'd like to hear about it.  What I am NOT willing to do...is take away from the sighted population in order to accommodate sight-challenged people.  I am interested in helping in any way I can...but not to the detriment of other players.

To that end, what I think would be nice..and I don't know if it can be done...but what would be nice is a module that ONLY can be accessed by screenreader users.  To make up for what they can't access for the sighted population.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:27:20 AM by TGTarheel » Logged
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »

Okay, there you go:
http://www.afb.org/info/programs-and-services/afb-consulting-services/afb-accessibility-resources/123
Hope this helps. Concerning the module that only can be used by the blind: I wouldn't do this, I would try to find out how to make existing modules as accessible as possible. Hope this helps? Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
83 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search