• September 25, 2017, 08:51:08 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: File Discussion: Multi Poke  (Read 9965 times)
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 12:26:27 AM »

Like I said...no Item System...complete deal-breaker.

1) Item System, or 2) required bug fixes and better security measures... I know what I would want for my players. I hope that you're going to let your players know about your choice as well.

Without the Item System, my entire game is shot.  Others run 1.1.0 and Central even runs 1.0.6 so gimme a break, okay??

Security against WHAT??  Even so, no sooner that new "security" stuff is done hackers find a way to break it, so I seriously doybt even 1.1.2 is all that bloody "secure"

Central runs 1.0.6 because there is no affiliation with DragonPrime. It's old, dead code, online for the sake of being online. Anyone who has 1.1.0 is not up-to-date and probably is doing the same - just being online to be online, without updating their servers. There is a bug in 1.1.0 where anyone can set ANY module preference to ANY value they want. Anyone with the creature editor has access to everything on the server. Upgrading is key. Upgrade the items system, don't downgrade a version for legacy modules. 1.1.2 and further revisions are much more secure.

It is my understanding that the Item System does not work past 1.1.0

Nobody on my site except me even has Grotto access at all.  I just am not sure where there is any danger to my players under my current setup.  I might should have specified that i am the only person with Grotto access on my server.

And I am not online just to be online, I have undertaken coding brand-new modules very recently, actually.  I just don't want any of the hard work I have done to get broken by new code.
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 01:26:23 AM »

Test Server - if you don't have one, set one up.  Then you can test things like whether a module works in your version of the game.  Or whether the updated version of the game works with your modules.  You don't want to test the unknowns on your live server, and nobody else here can tell you whether these modules will work on your setup or with changes.

Version - It's your choice not to run the latest code release however you also deny your users and your servers any benefits of improved security (and yes, there were some critical fixes between 1.1.0 and 1.1.2) and system performance improvements - again, there were significant changes which make a big difference on the server end of things.  However do not expect people here to be willing to reverse engineer modules to work in earlier versions.  If you want to know whether a module will work on your version or otherwise, see Test Server.  If you want a module to work on your version, get coding!

You may notice in many programs and applications that updated versions are sometimes not able to maintain compatibility with earlier programming.  That's the nature of the beast.  Don't hold your breath waiting for version 1.1.3 or that it would be completely backwards compatible. 

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 03:28:54 PM »

Test Server - if you don't have one, set one up.  Then you can test things like whether a module works in your version of the game.  Or whether the updated version of the game works with your modules.  You don't want to test the unknowns on your live server, and nobody else here can tell you whether these modules will work on your setup or with changes.

Version - It's your choice not to run the latest code release however you also deny your users and your servers any benefits of improved security (and yes, there were some critical fixes between 1.1.0 and 1.1.2) and system performance improvements - again, there were significant changes which make a big difference on the server end of things.  However do not expect people here to be willing to reverse engineer modules to work in earlier versions.  If you want to know whether a module will work on your version or otherwise, see Test Server.  If you want a module to work on your version, get coding!

You may notice in many programs and applications that updated versions are sometimes not able to maintain compatibility with earlier programming.  That's the nature of the beast.  Don't hold your breath waiting for version 1.1.3 or that it would be completely backwards compatible.  

I understand all this.  I just wish people would quit harping on me as if I am some gargoyle because I prefer to use WHAT I ALREADY KNOW WORKS.
I do not have a test server and do not know how to get one.
I code most of my own modules anymore, anyway.

But that's just the thing...i update my core and all the work I have done on my own unique modules could be wasted as they then might not work with the new core.

I am JUST not seeing enough advantages toi outweigh the possible risks.  And that is I am a choice I am making...please, people do not disrespect me or treat me like crap because I don't want to risk breaking a ton of work.

Whether or not it is the INTENT of people posting here...I FEEL very much like I am being attacked and trashed...because I choose the work I have done over the "latest greatest whatever"

Do you not understand some people are AFRAID of new things...especially when they do not see why the old ones...which were SO GREAT when they came out...are now being trashed??

I bet if they came up it a 1.1.3 - these same people would start trashing the 1.1.2 that they now think is so great...that is all I am saying here.

Respect MY CHOICE...to not upgrade and do not trash me or treat me like crap for it.  Respect that I have REASONS I don't wish to upgrade.  You might not agree with them and you don't have to...but you can do so RESPECTFULLY thanks.  (That last was not directed at you, Talisman - the people who it is directed at probably know who they are)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:37:05 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »

Then respect our decision to not downgrade our modules for your outdated site. Respect your player's right to deserve to be on a secure site. And respect the fact that when your site breaks, and it will, we won't be here to help you fix it - you were warned.

Given that none of this now relates to my module, that is all that is needed from you on here. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:33:09 PM by Aeolus » Logged

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »

Then respect our decision to not downgrade our modules for your outdated site. Respect your player's right to deserve to be on a secure site. And respect the fact that when your site breaks, and it will, we won't be here to help you fix it - you were warned.

Given that none of this now relates to my module, that is all that is needed from you on here. Thank you.

I will worry about my players.  They have remained loyal to my site.
I am NOT going to risk breaking hundreds of hours of work just to make you happy.  Quit trying to force things on people.  I never once told you to downgrade this module or any other module for me.  POINT TO WHERE I HAVE.  You can't, because I haven't.  I only asked if it would work.  As it turns out, it does.
You can disagree with me RESPECTFULLY.  You have failed to do that, you have had nothing but disrespect for me and for all the work I have done which could potentially break with a core update.

When 1.1.0 was brand new, everyone thought it was the greatest and I gave in and upgraded from my original 1.0.6 - and that was when there was far less original work on my site than there is now.  I am NOT willing to risk my work, now hundreds of hours...to be trashed, just because you have now decided that what you once touted as great is now disfavored by you.

If you CANNOT guarantee me...that everything I have ALREADY WORKED ON...will not continue to work with an upgrade, stop bothering me about upgrading and stop looking down on me and dissing me because I am not willing to risk losing hundreds of hours of hard work!!

For WHAT??
A little extra "security" - which will be broken by hackers in no time flat if they wanted to...it always is that way.  You now think 1.1.2 is all that and as soon as they come out with 1.1.3 if they ever do, you will be trashing 1.1.2 which today is SO GREAT.  You and I both know it.

Done here.

P.S. Here is the thing....there is, as far as I know...no way to DOWNGRADE after the fact if the upgrade breaks things.  And therein lies the problem.  You are basically asking me to do something that CANNOT BE UNDONE and which may break what actually WORKS.  I dunno about you, but I was always taught...IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT

All I am asking here is that you disagree with me respectfully and do not sneer at me and treat me like crap because I disagree.  Sheesh.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:27:02 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
Anharat
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »

Due we are off topic already anyway...

If you see it from the eyes of others here TGT the first thing you ask on many - old and dusty - threads here was if they were compatible to 1.1.0 and of cause people react with "I don't care". Just as you did with your modules they invested their time, in some cases a lot of time, into their modules and it's not of their interest to check for backwards compatibility.
Taken you had to contact some sort of support one of the first thing you hear will be "Is your system up to date? Are your drivers up to date?". You should not be offended that it's the same here, because I don't think people are mocking you, but they tell you that if you want help that your should get your system to the current state first.

As for the test server. There's a lot of software you can use for that. For example XAMPP to set up a (L)AMP Stack on your local machine. You should in any case NEVER develop and test on your live server, but like this you can have as many Databases and LogD environments as you want and you can easily check if your stuff is working on the lastest version or what must be changed and altered to work and see what effort would be required.

Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

Can we get all of these comments posted since TGTarheel's first post on this thread moved or deleted please? Thanks.

I have no interest in being attacked by someone on my module release thread, that is so ignorant enough to not actually research into how deprecated their version is (as they don't even seem to understand the updates of PHP and MySQL themselves in relation to the code).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? It's broke. It's long broke.

TGTarheel
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »

Due we are off topic already anyway...

If you see it from the eyes of others here TGT the first thing you ask on many - old and dusty - threads here was if they were compatible to 1.1.0 and of cause people react with "I don't care". Just as you did with your modules they invested their time, in some cases a lot of time, into their modules and it's not of their interest to check for backwards compatibility.
Taken you had to contact some sort of support one of the first thing you hear will be "Is your system up to date? Are your drivers up to date?". You should not be offended that it's the same here, because I don't think people are mocking you, but they tell you that if you want help that your should get your system to the current state first.

As for the test server. There's a lot of software you can use for that. For example XAMPP to set up a (L)AMP Stack on your local machine. You should in any case NEVER develop and test on your live server, but like this you can have as many Databases and LogD environments as you want and you can easily check if your stuff is working on the lastest version or what must be changed and altered to work and see what effort would be required.

TBH I do not even know what all that is.  I know enough about code to be dangerous.  At any rate, my attitude is that JUST BECAUSE it is "new and shiny" does not make it better.

I know a very large server, much larger than mine...that is running 1.1.0

It isn't the "I don't care" that is bothering me.  It is the treating of me as if I were some subhuman piece of crap because I don't want to risk breaking hundreds of hours of work to do an upgrade.

There ARE people out there that DO NOT LIKE upgrades being forced on them.  I am one of those people.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but has anyone ever considered that there is a matter of approach?  Instead of tresaating me like a subhuman pieece of crap for being resistant to and afraid of change...maybe instead offer to HELP me to do a change...maybe I might be more receptive to an approach like that...which was in fact never tried, I just got crucified, attacked and vilified because I DO NOT LIKE CHANGE.  I do NOT like updates.  EVERY TIME my computer at home updates, I inevitably find something that had been working JUST FINE before...screwed up...and I do not like it.

I do not like updates Sam I Am, LOL
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:29:48 PM by TGTarheel » Logged
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »

Not interested in your ignorance and attacks. Off my thread now. Bye-bye.

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:51 PM »

I'm going to sum up here, then let this thread return to what it was originally intended for.  I will eventually remove all the garbage, and I will immediately remove any more off topic replies to this one.

1.  We don't care what version you run.  You don't want to upgrade, we get it.  But stop asking people to make modules compatible with your outdated version.
2.  Stop asking if modules are compatible with your version.  Learn to test them yourself.
3.  If you keep asking the same question "Is this module compatible with 1.0.0, expect to keep receiving the same sage advice - upgrade and learn to run a test server."

Now...please stick to discussion of Multi-Poke in this thread, and drop the previous debate from here and anywhere else in Dragonprime.

Thank you.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
34 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search