Warning: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '$func['entity_fix']('\2')', to be a valid callback in /nfs/c01/h06/mnt/10927/domains/dragonprime.net/html/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Is LoGD still alive ?
DragonPrime - LoGD Resource Community
Welcome Guest
  • Good morning, Guest.
    Please log in, or register.
  • September 21, 2019, 10:26:59 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is LoGD still alive ?  (Read 29397 times)
Anharat
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 03:11:54 AM »

I agree a total rewrite would be better. It is nice to hear that some people agree on that. But who is willing to help?

Scott

Random person comes along and wants to redo what others have put a lot of work into... Good luck recruiting!
It is a bit odd indeed for someone who never posted a word on DP before, but I do not understand this rather extreme rejection here for this idea. Actually it would be good for all of us if someone pushes this idea to a concept and into working code at the end. Lotgd could really need some updates and not only fixes to keep this old ship sailing.
And why are you complaining about the work of others anyway? It's not yours, even if your probably the one doing most for the community at the moment, no question. And the creators of lotgd should be proud that some people, even after so many years, are still that much interessted in their game and want to keep it alive. And the idea of a rework from scratch came from Nightborn and myself independently.
I think the real problem is to much distrust and envy in the community and that people just do not want to share their work, for others they may not like have an advantage of it. And there is no core team just a bunch of people doing their very own thing.
Tucher
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 03:14:03 AM »

Doctor, If I am willing to put the time and the effort into this project, AND follow the CCL, thus sharing all code, why the negativity?
I fully understand that people have put a lot of time into this code, and I for one am greatfull for that. I have been playing and hosting this game for many, many years and plan on continuing doing so. My hope is to get a Proof Of Concept done first. I will share that and hope to raise interest in continuing the recoding. I am not doing this for any personal gain. I am doing this to give back to the community. I have no intention of changing the game, I just want to make it easier to work with. And also make it run better on current systems.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 03:50:01 AM »

Oh, I'm not negative about it, don't get me wrong! (Sorry if it came across that way, I'm sharp with words when I have the cold. [Except the bit about Stephen, he seems to have a habit of doing that.]) I just don't know many who would take the time out of their day (since many of us now have rather busy lives) to completely revamp the code from scratch - and believe me, there's quite a lot of code to do...

And at the end, it's not really going to be compatible for those who have done tons of core edits to our existing copies. But as I said - good luck with it! I'm curious as to how exactly you're going to redo it, and what will be changed.

Also, would you be revamping the regular 1.1.2, or the pre-alpha version of 1.2.0?

LordChaos
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 05:04:31 AM »

If you've been involved with this game for so long, playing and hosting as you have stated. Who are you or rather were you?
I don't think The Doctor is wrong to have his suspicions of someone who has never posted a comment before to want to rewrite the code and pull everyone together to create a "super server" of sorts.
If we knew a bit more about your history in this community, people may not be so hostile and rejecting.

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »

Let's keep it friendly here, and cut out the insults.  This is a drama free zone.   Roll Eyes

The LoGD project is open source.  This means anybody can make changes to it provided they follow the requirements put forth in the license.  It also means someone can come in and say "Hey, who wants to work with me to do some updating".  If you don't trust that person, don't join him.  If the proposal interests you, talk to him for more.

What we don't really need here is people making a new user with ideas feel like he's unwanted trash.  So that stops now.

No, there is no active core team although I, through Dragonprime and the license exclusions MightyE granted to the Dragonprime team do retain that identity.  Unfortunately the active coders of the day fell victim to the same thing that has befallen so many others - life gets busy.

So, in short...be kind to each other; be open to new ideas; if you're not interested, wander off.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 11:59:37 PM »

Doctor, If I am willing to put the time and the effort into this project, AND follow the CCL, thus sharing all code, why the negativity?
I fully understand that people have put a lot of time into this code, and I for one am greatfull for that. I have been playing and hosting this game for many, many years and plan on continuing doing so. My hope is to get a Proof Of Concept done first. I will share that and hope to raise interest in continuing the recoding. I am not doing this for any personal gain. I am doing this to give back to the community. I have no intention of changing the game, I just want to make it easier to work with. And also make it run better on current systems.

Best making it from scratch with an entirely different license. This one is not exactly the finest, but it works out.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon
Cheap VPS Hosting (10$ credit!): https://m.do.co/c/acde75b086c5

A new server in the making...
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 12:06:24 AM »

Best making it from scratch with an entirely different license. This one is not exactly the finest, but it works out.

Don't like the current license, where you have to share your edits if requested? Wink Grin

Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »

Don't like the current license, where you have to share your edits if requested? Wink Grin

Not necessarily enforced anyways. I do not mind sharing edits that I make.

Slowly progressing fork with PHP 7 support: https://github.com/stephenKise/Legend-of-the-Green-Dragon

Brendan
I am Brendan.
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

Random person comes along and wants to redo what others have put a lot of work into... Good luck recruiting!

Or a random person has a good idea to update the code before everything stops working in time.

I would be down for this if others were.
Sunday
Codemeister

So meme'd up.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

Or a random person has a good idea to update the code before everything stops working in time.

I would be down for this if others were.

I am DTF.

Maverick
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »

Will help when DragonPedia is fixed.

TY.
Aeolus
Mod God

You're welcome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »

The "troll" and the "hacker", working together. Lulz, nothing's gonna get done! Grin

And because fixing DragonPedia is really gonna help update the code (with out-of-date info). Heheh, hilarious. Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:50:02 AM by The Doctor » Logged

Tucher
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »

Hey, I am glad that there are a few people that agree with me on updating the code. And I can understand that some people might not like the idea because of the time they have spend working the old code, and I do thank them for the time they spent. So far I have 4 - 6 people that are willing to help. And that is a great start.

With in a few days I will have a paper drawn up and posted with a plan of attack. I would hope those willing to work on this can read it over and give me so constructive criticism. This is a join effort and we need to work together so lets agree on the path we take. Stephen, Brendan, Maverick, if you are willing to help that is great. I would like to here your ideas on how to under go this. I have a Git set up for this already, so we can start work ASAP.

Talisman, I would like to here your views on the License and possible changes.

Feel free to contact me at,
dragon@sanfeld.com
Scott
LordChaos
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:32 AM »

But who are you?
Not that i'm opposed to things getting updated, etc.
However, there is still a question mark over what sites you were involved with, what your name was.
Forgive the mistrust, but in this community, not too many people are involved, so when someone completely new comes along with such grand ideas, it leads to certain suspicions.

DarknessFalls
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 06:31:45 AM »

It would be interesting to see if this works. However, I concur. There is a lot that could go wrong here, given what's gone on the past few weeks for a couple of realms. I'm curious to see the outcome of this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
87 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search