• June 25, 2017, 05:15:32 PM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Suggestion Regarding Module Info  (Read 3570 times)
Ariadoss
Captain of the Guard

HogwartsLive.com

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2004, 03:00:06 PM »

Im not sure how plausible this idea is but Ive seen it implemented in another PHP program that uses modules.   On this other program in the module info array the script used a combination of JavaScript and PHP to alert site As administrator if a newer version of a module was available on the official download site (site B).  Basically the script would compare the version # on site A with the version # on the official site, site B, and if the version # on Site B was greater than the version # on site A the script would prompt site As administrator to download the newer version. I was thinking you could add something like this to the module info array:

Code:
"checkforupdate"=>"http://www.siteb.com/downloads/modulename.txt",

The script could check the version # thats stored in the text file on Site B.  (This file could/should be separate from the zip archive.) Then if the version # in Site Bs text file is greater than your version # it would prompt you to download the newest version using the entry in:

Code:
"download"=>"http://www.siteb.com/downloads/modulename.zip",

Does this sound like a useful suggestion?  I could possibly work on it myself, but Im  sure others would do a better job, and I need feedback to know if anyone wants this option besides myself?   Cheesy

Kendaer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 11:20:03 PM »

Personally I don't like the idea and having it done automatically.
You've (well some of you) have seen the problems that can occur if lotgd.net is down and you are registered with logdnet.  This would just exacerbate that a hundred times over.  It would also increase the load on those servers to have them being checked.

Having a manual 'check for new version' thing might be doable, but then you could just go out and check yourself, eh?
GenmaC
Codemeister

Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 07:48:12 AM »

I already wrote a module to do this (Module Updater).  It doesn't automatically update modules for you, since that was a huge pain in the ass (permissions wise, not to mention security), but it will tell you when a module is out of date and let you check it off as "upgraded".

Castle Siege - a work in progress
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
26 Guests, 1 User
TGTarheel
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search