• July 16, 2018, 03:55:40 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reCAPTCHA anti-spam for petition.php  (Read 6839 times)
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

I'm not a programmer, writing texts is my hobby.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »

Guys, I can't help with coding this thing. But perhaps you also should be aware of the following thing: if you only give a visual challenge as captcha to solve, you will exclude the visually impaired users of your game. They won't be able to send in a petition if only visual challenges are available. Screenreaders won't tell us which animal doesn't fit in the row or which fruit doesn't fit or whatever question we get. In the past I saw a website with a very accessible capthca, but unfortunately this website is gone. On the accessible google group you can reach by using accessible@googlegroups.com I remember I had a discusssion about accessible capthca's some years ago. Perhaps you can find more info about this on the websites of the rnib or American organisations for the blind and perhaps you can ask there how to code them too? Perhaps they also can help you to solve your issues with coding and how to code? Learning is interesting if you know how to learn yourself. But if you have the feeling you are entangled in the web of info or that you can find head nor tail to the animal you're looking at, it is handy to have someone who tells you how to start and how to do it. I'm not sure this will be of any help, but I really hope it does. Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »

Guys, I can't help with coding this thing. But perhaps you also should be aware of the following thing: if you only give a visual challenge as captcha to solve, you will exclude the visually impaired users of your game. They won't be able to send in a petition if only visual challenges are available. Screenreaders won't tell us which animal doesn't fit in the row or which fruit doesn't fit or whatever question we get. In the past I saw a website with a very accessible capthca, but unfortunately this website is gone. On the accessible google group you can reach by using accessible@googlegroups.com I remember I had a discusssion about accessible capthca's some years ago. Perhaps you can find more info about this on the websites of the rnib or American organisations for the blind and perhaps you can ask there how to code them too? Perhaps they also can help you to solve your issues with coding and how to code? Learning is interesting if you know how to learn yourself. But if you have the feeling you are entangled in the web of info or that you can find head nor tail to the animal you're looking at, it is handy to have someone who tells you how to start and how to do it. I'm not sure this will be of any help, but I really hope it does. Best, WW

Thank you for reminding us of the needs and challenges of the sight-impaired.  One reason I never used CAPTCHA is exactly this...I deliberately set as much of my site up as I could to be friendly to the visually-challenged...I once had many such players.

The Signets, of course, are not bery friendly, alas, to the vision-challenged...but I also do not want to take from the game things just because of this...because there are players whp are not sigh/vision-challenged.
Nightborn
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »

You should really check before you make any statement. Source: https://support.google.com/recaptcha/answer/6175971?hl=en

"ReCAPTCHA works with major screen readers such as ChromeVox, JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver. ReCAPTCHA will alert screen readers of status changes, such as when the reCAPTCHA verification challenge is complete. The status can also be found by looking for the heading titled recaptcha status in the recaptcha widget section of the page."
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »

You should really check before you make any statement. Source: https://support.google.com/recaptcha/answer/6175971?hl=en

"ReCAPTCHA works with major screen readers such as ChromeVox, JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver. ReCAPTCHA will alert screen readers of status changes, such as when the reCAPTCHA verification challenge is complete. The status can also be found by looking for the heading titled recaptcha status in the recaptcha widget section of the page."

Good to know.  But if you are using a screen reader...how does one determine which frames contain pictures of boats?  For example?
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 01:18:24 AM »

Nightborn and others, it is even more difficult. A screenreader can't see images, and if it can see images (with no alt-tags) it only shows the word "photo" or "image", nothing more. If someone e.g. posts a photo of a text on facebook (for naming something) I am lucky if I see the word "photo" but I don't see the text. If a captcha asks to click on the vehicle that doesn't fit in the row and you see a boat, a bike, a car and a lorry, (you have to click on the boat in this case) I'll only see photo photo photo photo (if I'm lucky). But an accessible captcha could be: "what's the sum of 5 3 2 and 5?" you have to enter 15; or "which fruit doesn't fit in the row: applee, cherry, peach and abricot" =apple because the seed isn't a stone; or "which animal doesn't fit in the row: "cat, dog, horse and chicken" =chicken: it's not a mammal or has 2 legs. ... audio-challenges are also available, but in that case they have to be handy to use. If I need 10 minutes to solve the issue, and the server logs me out after 10 minutes, my petition won't be sent in easily. Hope this clarifies? Best, WW

"Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." (cfr. Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and the philosopher Stone", chapter 17).
TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 03:45:07 AM »

Nightborn and others, it is even more difficult. A screenreader can't see images, and if it can see images (with no alt-tags) it only shows the word "photo" or "image", nothing more. If someone e.g. posts a photo of a text on facebook (for naming something) I am lucky if I see the word "photo" but I don't see the text. If a captcha asks to click on the vehicle that doesn't fit in the row and you see a boat, a bike, a car and a lorry, (you have to click on the boat in this case) I'll only see photo photo photo photo (if I'm lucky). But an accessible captcha could be: "what's the sum of 5 3 2 and 5?" you have to enter 15; or "which fruit doesn't fit in the row: applee, cherry, peach and abricot" =apple because the seed isn't a stone; or "which animal doesn't fit in the row: "cat, dog, horse and chicken" =chicken: it's not a mammal or has 2 legs. ... audio-challenges are also available, but in that case they have to be handy to use. If I need 10 minutes to solve the issue, and the server logs me out after 10 minutes, my petition won't be sent in easily. Hope this clarifies? Best, WW

This is useful info.  Is there any way to make it so that reCAPTCHA is always something that is equally accessible??
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 06:28:03 AM »

I told you about the website that's gone unfortunately, on that site they knew how to do this. But perhaps the rnib or american association for the blind has this info too?

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »

I told you about the website that's gone unfortunately, on that site they knew how to do this. But perhaps the rnib or american association for the blind has this info too?

The problem comes in when...how do you make that work WITH LOTGD specifically.  This is why I never used CAPTCHA in the past.
There is another thing I have seen, that requires one to cut and paste a string of characters into a box, and then can send the Petition, and I always thought that was better than CAPTCHA.  Just a personal opinion.

Again, the problem is....it might be available on some websites...can it be compatible with the engine that is LOTGD is another matter.  I have always tried, as best I could...to make my site as screenreader-friendly as I could.  But sometimes it helps if people actually tell us what troubles they are having...and what might actually help...understanding that it may not be possible, within the framework of LOTGD to do the thing that you might want.

I would, for example, have no idea...how to force CAPTCHA....to always do something that works with a screenreader.
Wolfsbanewillow
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »

The problem is, I also don't have this knowledge, nor concerning the captcha's, nor concerning the lotgd context within it should work. Are there blind programmers out there? I'm not one; I'm blind, but not a programmer, I'm afraid. Best, WW

Megan|SaraBeth
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »

After much time trying to figure out exactly what to do and coming up stumped each time, I went and emailed Dan. He took time to update it for everyone and since he cant access his account to post it he asked me to do so.

TGTarheel
Codemeister

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »

After much time trying to figure out exactly what to do and coming up stumped each time, I went and emailed Dan. He took time to update it for everyone and since he cant access his account to post it he asked me to do so.

Sweet.  Did it test out on a test server?  If not, I have a test server I am running.
Danodemano
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

So I actually managed to guess my old password after how many years?  Tongue

Anyway I fully tested it on a new VM I turned up and it appears that Megan has already implemented it on her site.

That being said, as always, I encourage anyone to review code posted by strangers on the Internet.  This one happens to be super-simple and a 2 minute glance will let you know that there isn't anything malicious hidden inside.

Cheers!

Code:
SELECT * FROM `signatures` WHERE `username`='Danodemano';
#1146 - Table 'signatures' doesn't exist
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
32 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search