• September 24, 2018, 10:16:28 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Templates/testing sites.  (Read 3241 times)
tsukasa
« on: July 29, 2005, 01:27:08 AM »

Okay ive been reading alot of the php scipts/html/css sheats and other such things in my server control panel in places like file manager and such. I have a basic understanding of php and an excelent understanding of html. But I have a few questions and any time spent answering these or providing help is grately appricated.

Okay first and fore most I have modified one of the current skinz and it looks alot better than some of the others I have seen but thats by my standards and by my browser. I have yet to test colors on a diffrent broswer for example netscape. But keep in mind that was just a modification in colors and the .css sript. I would like to make my own template but I have tryed changing things around in the template/adding other things but I always get errors and I dont think my understanding of html is the problem. I think since a little php is thrown in and if I understand correctly things like {mail} {petition} {motd} and other such things have to be in specific places? Well I just need someone to enlighten me on almost all I need to know about creating templates. And the person helping me along the way who is a php/coder/mod creater god is helping me learn along the way. I wont mention his name as I am unsure if he wishes it.

Secondly in my server database/control panel, if I create another subdomain and take my original site files copy them, and move them to the new subdomain, could this be used for testing things? I never wished for my site to get out till I had all the things I wished in place but I am slowing gaining more members and I dont want downtime therefor I need a testing site so I can test mods and other such things without the pain of losing users.

Thanks for any input or time spent helping little me. Also I was told that you can remove the rule in place stating that the mail/motd and such dont have to be in header and footer?
robert
Old Dog
Mod God

LoGD Buff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 03:43:38 AM »

Nice to see people still using the old version. Smiley

Do yourself a favor and look at your common.php - there is a section near the bottom which says something like: These items can be anywhere but must appear - they are speaking of the same items you mentioned getting errors with. Actually, your error message will tell you whats missing from the template.

You could run a test site off your web host or save yourself time and trouble and install the game onto your home pc. YES, it can be done, by Installing the still free program EASYPHP onto your home pc, EasyPhp contains all you need to run the game. Once that is installed, install the game onto your pc.
With the game running on your pc, you can very easily create new files, alter existing ones and do live testing without disrupting your live game and annoying players.

tsukasa
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 07:47:05 AM »

Hmm Ive downloaded my php but the only problem is that its in a different language.. :/ Im going to do a bit more exploring..
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 09:48:51 AM »

On the main screen of EasyPHP there's a dropdown box which allows you to select other languages, including English.  The program's default language is French

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
tsukasa
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 11:14:17 AM »

Okay I just realized that when I had stated about the language not being in english in php easy I ment in the forums for help, and other such things. Sorry for not being a bit more obivous lol. okay and after looking around phpeasy Ive gotten a bit lost. So far the most I think I know about putting your site on your comp from just reading files and other things is that I may have to download the lotgd game file itself from sourceforge.net or that I may have to do something with my server ip and login. Ive checked the files themselves on the computer outside of phpeasy and I think I may have to put files from my control panel/file viewer into title specific folders like www, logs modules etc? Have I any clue what Im doing or is there no hope? Sorry to be a bother Im not even totatly sure im in the right forum/site to discuss this :/
Dhampir
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »

If you're using Windows XP:

My Computer => Local Disk(C:) => Program Files =>EasyPHP=>www (assuming that you used your Local Disk as the place that you downloaded the EasyPHP to.)

Once in the "www" folder, upload your "lotgd" folder.

I think that was what you were asking, not sure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
28 Guests, 0 Users