Home Forums News Links Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
IRC Channels
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion: Commentary Editor  (Read 2460 times)
KaosKaizer
Mod God

Zeno's Arrow never hits the mark.

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »

Name: Commentary Editor
Version: 1.2
Compatibility: 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and with CMJ's AJAX commentary patch.
Category: Commentary/Administrative

If you have installed an older version, then you may need to uninstall->install or re-install the module before the links will show up. It should be okay if you haven't had another version installed, though.

This handy little tool allows you, if you are a SU_EDIT_COMMENTS staff member, to change commentary posts. You can change the author(by way of ID), the section, and the comment. I figured this would be a handy tool for staff for multiple reasons including:
1) Editing a bad word out of their own comment or the bad word/bad word filter out of a players comment instead of deleting it.
2) Editing a misspelling or typo of some sort without having to delete it and repost it.
3) Messing with the player's heads Evil
Versions
v1.2
- Added YOM messaging to players who made the comment when their comment is edited
- Added a required reason field
- Added custom set flags for being allowed to edit commentary
- Now made the section field required.
v1.1
- Skipped because I forgot about it xD
v1.0.1
- Changed SU_EDIT_USERS to SU_EDIT_COMMENTS like it should have been in the first place. Pointed out by LordChaos.
v1.0
- Initial release.

File Submission: http://dragonprime.net/index.php?topic=11715.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:52:23 AM by KaosKaizer » Logged

My Mods
I'm not currently a fully active member of DP, though I do respond to most PMs.
LordChaos
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »

I like it.

Works fine on 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 just so you know.

One small thing.. The IF statement to check for SU_EDIT_COMMENTS is currently coded in as SU_EDIT_USERS, so that might need changing if your plans are to allow Mods to have access.

Other than that, good job.  Wink

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. - Zig Aiglar
ArthuruhtrA
Mod God

chown -R us ./base

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:42 AM »

I've always wanted one of these! Thanks KK. Now to see how it works... (both the code and in practice...)

Dragons of MythMy Modules | Tynastera!
BOWTIES ARE COOL
KaosKaizer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »

I like it.
Thanks Smiley

Works fine on 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 just so you know.
Thank you for testing it for me. Compatibility list updated.

One small thing.. The IF statement to check for SU_EDIT_COMMENTS is currently coded in as SU_EDIT_USERS, so that might need changing if your plans are to allow Mods to have access.
Yikes! Yeah, that wasn't meant to happen >.> I guess I'm so used to checking for _USERS that when I went to type _COMMENTARY it came out wrong and I didn't notice it. Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed.

I've always wanted one of these! Thanks KK. Now to see how it works... (both the code and in practice...)
It works to my likings, at least Smiley I'm not sure I could do anything to make it better, other than to add a link to edit each post directly from the section chat, but I don't know how to do that without a core edit so I won't be doing that.

My Mods
!Aiden
Captain of the Guard

Lacking..?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »

Sounds pretty damn awesome.

Gonna give it a download and test it out. This will come in handy if it works the way I assume it does!
Boris735
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »

Good idea, this.  It's always felt a little odd that this wasn't part of core functionality.  *still remembers the time he accidentally overwrote all commentary in the game with the same text when trying to do this by hand*
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »

It was discussed at one point in time, and the general sentiment was that allowing the change of another person's words was just asking for trouble.  Particularly when there was no indication that the comment had been modified by an admin.

I remain of the mind that this function is one that does not belong in core, and is one which could lead to dramatics if abused in the wrong setting.

So yes, once considered, opted to not implement, use with caution!

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Brandon
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »

I LOVE the idea Kaos, nice work! and well done Smiley
SwordSlasher

Finish the Fight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »

This module is working wonderfully on Megiddo, but I have a request, not so much a problem per se, but I was wondering if you could consider updating it to where it is available only to MegaUsers or Administrators? Upon activation, I noticed it allowed ALL my staff the ability to edit commentary, and we have a few novice moderators.. Well, this just isn't a module I'd like everyone having access to. Kind of asking for trouble, you know? Tongue GREAT module, though! I deactivated it for the lower staff members once I noticed it, but it took up a few minutes to go through and do it. Just an idea.
KaosKaizer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »

I don't know what powers your Admins have, but if your novice moderators have this ability, then perhaps they have the ability to moderate content too? If not, then I may need to re-look at my code, but I don't think I've made any syntax mistakes, but it is possible. If you want to change this code (I will be updating a version in the future to allow custom requirements) to only allow in certain users, then open the file and find all instances of SU_EDIT_COMMENTS (I think it's in there only twice) with one of the following:
SU_MEGAUSER for Megausers
SU_EDIT_USERS for User Editors
SU_DEVELOPER for Developers

I will have a new version with a few updates posted hopefully within an hour.

My Mods
Brandon
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »

I don't know what powers your Admins have, but if your novice moderators have this ability, then perhaps they have the ability to moderate content too? If not, then I may need to re-look at my code, but I don't think I've made any syntax mistakes, but it is possible. If you want to change this code (I will be updating a version in the future to allow custom requirements) to only allow in certain users, then open the file and find all instances of SU_EDIT_COMMENTS (I think it's in there only twice) with one of the following:
SU_MEGAUSER for Megausers
SU_EDIT_USERS for User Editors
SU_DEVELOPER for Developers

I will have a new version with a few updates posted hopefully within an hour.

I also have a suggestion, how bout putting it in there where you can take a User ID number, and pick a place to comment, and post it? (For mega User or Admins with UE only) (evil grin) Evil
KaosKaizer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »

You can already change the user and the section from v1.0.
Updated...
v1.2
- Added YOM messaging to players who made the comment when their comment is edited
- Added a required reason field
- Added custom set flags for being allowed to edit commentary
- Now made the section field required. (no empty sections floating around there Wink )
v1.1
- Skipped because I forgot about it xD

ZIP updated in file submission.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:03:19 PM by KaosKaizer » Logged

My Mods
!Aiden
Captain of the Guard

Lacking..?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »

I can no longer access this module. (After the update) Placed within my module folder, it is now completely gone. Not even in my manage modules tab. Am I missing something on how to re-activate this?
KaosKaizer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »

Have you tried re-installing it? Or uninstalling it and then installing it?

::EDIT::
It should be in your Module Manager under "Commentary." Check to make sure you have that category, then make sure that it is under that section.
In the Grotto, as long as the mod is active, there should be a link under "Actions"("Superuser" in the village) saying "Edit Commentary". If those are not present, go to the module manager and click Re-Install. If that doesn't work, try clicking "Uninstall" then going to the Uninstalled section and install it again.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:49:14 AM by KaosKaizer » Logged

My Mods
!Aiden
Captain of the Guard

Lacking..?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 08:46:03 AM »

Have you tried re-installing it? Or uninstalling it and then installing it?

I just replaced all, however I'll give that a go. Thanks, I'll post back with results.

Edit:Problem fixed! I should of done that in the first place! Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:49:27 AM by Crims » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Welcome to DragonPrime - The LoGD Resource Community!

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Who's Online
37 Guests, 1 User
Minato
DragonPrime LoGD
Recent Topics
Home Forums News Links Downloads Login Register Advanced Search