Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This message is marked as News.
Author Topic: New Account Registrations  (Read 58466 times)
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »

Due to the massive number of accounts being created by spammers lately, I have been forced to implement a higher level of control over new account registrations.

New accounts now require administrative approval before they will be able to log in, post and download files.

This change will be completely transparent to existing users.

If you are a new user and your account has not been activated within 24-48 hours, please advise me via email.  You can find the contact information in the footer of every page on this site.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may incur on legitimate new account registrations, however the increasingly inconsiderate tricks of spammers has driven us to that point.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Elessa
Faerie
Mod God

short, sweet and to the point

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »

i hates spammers of all sorts. i hates them, i do. i ban them, delete them, and if i could i would send them yodeling lemmings to keep them company 24/7/365.

Uuma ma ten rashwe, ta tuluva a lle

Play the latest beta version here on LoGD DragonPrime - Axebridge
MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Weeding out the humans from the replicants.
You'll understand this if you've seen the film. Cheesy

MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:37:33 AM »

We may still get the odd spam post depending on how many registered spambot accounts there are that haven't been used yet to spam. Sad

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »

We may still get the odd spam post depending on how many registered spambot accounts there are that haven't been used yet to spam. Sad

There were a few the first couple days, but they seem to be tapering off.  Elessa and I nabbed quite a few dormant accounts by following IPs.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Elessa
Faerie
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »

since many of the posting spammers also have their profiles filled with spam links, if anyone comes across any while poking around, you could PM me with the links i will take a look and clean up if necessary.

i really am tired of the spam whether it is posted blatantly for all to see or if they have it in their profiles for the web crawlers to find.

MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »

Just view the memberlist page, you can spot most of them just by their username alone.

Sadly, of the 200+ pages, probably around 10 or so pages worth (500 names) will be bots. Sad

It might be best to edit the code of the profile page to require a login to view. This'll stop web crawlers from viewing them anyway.

Elessa
Faerie
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »

Just view the memberlist page, you can spot most of them just by their username alone.

Sadly, of the 200+ pages, probably around 10 or so pages worth (500 names) will be bots. Sad

It might be best to edit the code of the profile page to require a login to view. This'll stop web crawlers from viewing them anyway.

i spend hours at a time banning spammers utilizing the member pages.  i typically find and ban 300-1000 at a time, and they keep swarming in.  now that we are requiring authorization approval i can cull more easily.

based on what i have found in working the ban lists for the last year, i estimate there are another 2000 or more of them hidden here.

Nightborn
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »

SMF 2 offers a few nice things, one is using real questions and answers to verify that.

I put that in - and had 0 spambots registering since.

Some questions are in reference to the games =) so really uninformed people would use google.
sakume

Social Networking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »

Most spammers won't bother with sites which have the nofollow attribute associated with all links.  It won't kill spam entirely, but it does take a damn good chunk out of the spam.

Just my two cents from a social network developer Wink

Just Here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Play LoGD on Dragonprime

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD