• July 23, 2019, 07:29:30 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazing web host?  (Read 7974 times)
Silient
Militia

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »

http://www.justhost.com/
Looks like just about everything is unlimited...You get the domain for free permanetly...and its less than 3 dollars a month with a promo code! Not to mention you have roughly $100 in advertising credits ie google adwords yahooo myspace etc

Anyone used them before? Also before I start handing over money  does anyone know if this will work for logd? They have a live chat so I can get any extra info that you need.

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »

Any webspace offered at such a low rate is going to see a high concentration of websites running on the same server - possibly 200 or more.   That means that the performance of your site is at the mercy of whatever scripts/inefficiencies are placed on the server by other users.  If your site happens to be the resource hog (and LoGD IS a resource hog), your host will either shut you down or require you to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

When that happens, you may or may not be able to take your domain name with you to your new host.  If you can, it will cost you a fair few dollars to change registrars etc.

There are plenty of quality hosts out there, but I've been extremely satisfied with the service I get from Media Temple (http://mediatemple.com).

Technical support is quick; FAQs (Knowledge base) is extensive, site features are outstanding.  They are fantastic when it comes to communicating outages and maintenance to clients, so there is rarely any unexpected interruption.

Site Uptime stats for Dragonprime indicate greater than 99.5% uptime on average, and a couple months have indicated 100% uptime.  Dragonprime is running on a Gridserver plan, which would work just fine for a small server.  When the server matures, the move to a dedicated virtual server is nice and easy, which is what Axebridge runs on.

What it boils down to is "You get what you pay for."  Cheap sites will not support a growing LoGD game, so before committing to one, you need to make sure the host can grow with you properly.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
LordChaos
Captain of the Guard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »

Talisman beat me to it. Tongue

But I agree 100%, anything that is so cheap and cheerful isn't the same behind the scenes.
Look at Freehostia for example.. You think it's great at first until you keep getting suspended because you used too many resources.
Stick to the hosts that look like they are worth paying that bit more for.. You won't regret it.

@Talisman.. I've never come across that company before but I had a quick scan of their site and it looks sweet, certainly something to keep in mind as my current host is somewhat annoying.

Silient
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:59:20 PM »

Bad host...Live chat is in REALLY broken english so it took me 30 mins for them to tell me that they do NOT run games unless you have a dedicated server. Which is about $150

Ironmars
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »

Would inwtrade.com be good? The upgraded is $1 a month and 100GB bandwidth with 10 GB disk space. The free is 5 GB disk space and 50 GB Bandwidth. They reply to your questions whatever you have. I have probably 27 people on my server and it's getting slower. I probably have 150 modules on a free host. Would it be worth it to upgrade or should I switch to MediaTemple. I actually wanted to wait till I get more donations but I don't want to deal with a slow server.
JollyGG
Mod God

Jolly Good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »

I've seen few decent hosts out there...makes me think of taking a step up and doing something I'm good at...server administration....

Senior Staff Coder to: RPGLink
Supporter of: Forbidden Realm and LotGD4Adults2.
Released Modules: Here
Minato
Codemeister

Script not working? Just beat it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

Would inwtrade.com be good? The upgraded is $1 a month and 100GB bandwidth with 10 GB disk space. The free is 5 GB disk space and 50 GB Bandwidth. They reply to your questions whatever you have. I have probably 27 people on my server and it's getting slower. I probably have 150 modules on a free host. Would it be worth it to upgrade or should I switch to MediaTemple. I actually wanted to wait till I get more donations but I don't want to deal with a slow server.

My friend just graduated with his Computer Science degree, (I still have three years of classes to go on my CS degree) and has his own company, Sigma Serve. Best hosting I've ever had. Free hosts suck, all of the way. I went through 000webhost, then GoDaddy, and even LunarPages... I told him what LotGD needed, and how it uses resources.. He offers personal support, and is creating a package just for people who want to administrate LotGD. Now if his deal sounds sweet when you come across it, it probably is. Wink

Get into contact with Sigma Serve
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:58:15 PM by Minato » Logged

Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »

You get what you pay for...a host charging $1 a month is jamming as many sites as possible into the smallest space possible and your performance will reflect that.

I've dealt with a few different hosts over the years and Mediatemple has been the best by far.  Responsive, proactive, great communications and fantastic support.  I made the switch to them 5 or 6 years ago and wouldn't use anyone else now.

Ironmars
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »

Well I think they only have like 20 clients. And I don't think I have enough donators to pay $20 a month.
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »

With only 20 clients, how long have they been in business?  And how long will they stay in business?

Sounds like a fly-by night reseller...would be a shame to have them go *poof* and leave you without your server, domain or database...

Ironmars
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »

Well i don't know for sure but they only have 12 people on Facebook.
Minato
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

Well i don't know for sure but they only have 12 people on Facebook.

This reminds me of The Firm...lol... John Grisham says:

"You never get something for nothing."

Minato puts it:

If they offer you a BMW, they are probably Mob.

In all seriousness, that bodes ill. Take a back up at least every week of your files and db.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:49:58 PM by Minato » Logged

MarcTheSlayer
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »

Like Talisman said, the cheaper it is then the more likely hood that more people are being bunched together on the server. Bandwidth and webspace have nothing to do with how fast your site will run. That's all down to the CPU/Ram and maybe also the connection the server has to the internet.

Check My Modules for the latest versions.
Minato
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »

Like Talisman said, the cheaper it is then the more likely hood that more people are being bunched together on the server. Bandwidth and webspace have nothing to do with how fast your site will run. That's all down to the CPU/Ram and maybe also the connection the server has to the internet.

Agreed. Bandwidth and webspace is the ceiling for your resource consumption, and does indeed have nothing to do with speed. The server may allow you to use that much, but does that mean your site will run efficiently? No. Now, I think that horse has been beat into the ground. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 03:43:10 PM by Minato » Logged

Ironmars
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »

If I use multiple computers to go on inwtrade like my IPod and 2 others computers, which one would have the RAM used?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Please take the time to read the FAQ and browse the DragonPedia

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
102 Guests, 1 User