• July 18, 2019, 02:21:42 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do NOT use 1&1 Shared Hosting for a LotGD game  (Read 8088 times)
WorldWizard
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

I learned this the hard way... it doesn't really work very well, and lots of people were getting stuck in infinite badnav loops, which I had to manually break them out of. Not fun.
Stephen Kise
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »

More explanation please?

Are you sure that the players did not keep on clicking links before the browser could properly load the next page or was it just spontaneous and truely caused by the hoster. If so, how did the hosting site cause players to go into badnavs?
WorldWizard
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »

The problem I was having with badnav loops appears, at closer inspection, to be caused by a buggy module I had installed. The bigger problem, though, was page generation times. Never below 1 second, and usually 2 seconds or more. That's why I say stay away.

EDIT: Since these issues were pre-1.1.1, I'm thinking about trying again... but this time I'll make darn well sure I test my module setup before putting it on a live server. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:57:29 AM by WorldWizard » Logged
Talisman
Administrator
Mod God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »

If you post a bad (or good) rap about a host, then later discover that your information is inaccurate for whatever reason, please ensure you return and update your information regarding the host.

Even if you still recommend for or against the host, but for other reasons, those other reasons should be made known here so others don't make regretable decisions based on misinformation.

Many of the changes implemented in 1.1.1 significantly reduced the load on server resources, and could make the difference between being "no good" and "marginal suitability for testing", etc.

Play the latest beta version here on DragonPrime
Lastlegacy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:42:50 AM »

I've also had trouble with 1&1, but not related to Logd, they called debt collectors on me for 11.50... when the debt collectors rang me they merely said they'd pay it off and were actually laughing about the fact it was 11.50.
TechnoWolf
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:46:15 AM »

I've had a lot of direct experience with 1&1 & godaddy hosting LotGD.
With godaddy, LotGD worked great if you select php4x as the default on the hosting control.
With 1&1, it runs everything default as php5, but using a .htaccess file containing the command line "AddType x-mapp-php4 .php3" in the root is supposed to tell apache to run all scripts in php4.  Didn't work.  Call stack errors, bad navs galore, and they don't allow direct error log access unless you create your own error log file, which I did and it filled with 1,000's of errors in php.  I gave up on it, moved the site back to godaddy in default php4, and the site ran flawlessly once more.
Trust me, I'd rather have been able to use 1&1 since 1&1 is so much faster and generally reliable than GoDaddy, who seems to have problems with their host(s) daily timing out, slowing down intermittently, etc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:55:15 AM by TechnoWolf » Logged
kickme
Global Moderator
Mod God

Yay for elephants!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »

"AddType x-mapp-php4 .php3" in the root is supposed to tell apache to run all scripts in php4.  Didn't work.

Of course not. That will only run .php3 files with the php4 engine. You'll want to add .php to the end of that.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
134 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search