• July 23, 2019, 06:09:08 AM
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search
DragonPrime Menu
Login

Resource Pages
Search

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Hosts NOT to Use  (Read 8464 times)
Insanity Streak
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »

As most of you probably know, there are plenty of excellent free (trustworthy) hosts out there, but then there are those that cannot be trusted. These could be sites that when you sign up, they offer you free stuff, but when you access the Control Panel all this free stuff isnt there and you have top pay for upgrades. They could also be hosts that find it amusing to delete your site for the sake of it, even when you read your  Terms of Service and followed them. Then there are ones that say they give you 5gb of space, but dont tell you that they have a 5mb max upload limit, making you furious that you cant upload your mean-as modules either you made, or someone else. This has happened to me, and im furious ( Angry), so im going to begin to compile a list of Un-Trusted Hosts.

www.icr38.net
iCreate, Very very dodgy
www.gsohosting.com
offers a bundle of free stuff, but you will never get it unless you pay...
www.10fast.net
Will give you free hosting, if you complete one of their advertiser's "survey's" *coughmoneysuckercough*

There are sites that have got their hosting from Free 'Resellers', which means they get an amount of space, then resell it. Sometimes they are given 500gb or 5gb. They wont tell you if they are free resellers, but as more people join, the size will drop without notice...

To see if the host is trustworthy, read their TOS. Some Resellers and Un-Trustworthy Sites have the link at the bottom of the page, and it just redirects you to the top of their Homepage

Also (im not sure of it but) Some resellers use VistaPanel, so you willl know

Thats all I have for now, but feel free to Add...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:23:15 PM by Insanity Streak » Logged
Astarael|Jack
Codemeister

Lord Procrastinator and King of Cheap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »

no offence, this is stupid...

icr38.net is a very capable webhost, thats site owner will reply to any request fast... Burn

AlphaEdocsil
Militia

Who knew boredom was so boring?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »

I suggest not using www.000webhosts.com.
They have some useful features, like password protected ares, but they pull your site offline all the time unless you tell them not to.

Founder: Penhaligon
penhaligon.netii.net
Senior Coder:
dracon.200u.com
darknight.host56.com
h_
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »

They have some useful features, like password protected ares, but they pull your site offline all the time unless you tell them not to.

And they don't allow gaming scripts, and are always getting DDOS'd and is just basically slow as hell.
Stephen Kise
Codemeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »

I have been using it for a while and it only happens once.

And they don't allow gaming scripts, and are always getting DDOS'd and is just basically slow as hell.

Three years of use and a DDoS attack has only ocurred once o.o In the terms of gaming scripts however, they allow LotGD as stated by their "Help Desk" representatives - Just not JS or flash games. Example: BowMan, Asteroids, etc. =]
Kain
Militia

Edocsil Reborn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:01:58 PM »

I use 000webhost as well. I use two domains there, one for LotGD and one for a forum. So far each site has been dropped once for "review for malicious content and phishing" Is this what you were speaking of Edocsil? I just mailed the help desc, within 24 hours they were back up and never down again. I am extremely pleased with them as a free host.  Wink

Note:: Pleased with them as a FREE Host. Smiley

Modification, posted approx 10 months after original post:: Neither site has had a single issue since setup. Tongue However, resource limitations are annoying.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:33:10 AM by Kain » Logged
Salina

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:44:22 PM »

000webhost.com is too crap. It was very good in start up but now it has become almost useless hosting.

I will never recommend any free host in my life. I had a lots of problem in my past with such hosts.

Nowadays I am using sparkgate.net. It's just $2 per month with unlimited bandwidth and 5 GB space. More than anything else, it provides shard support to it's clients.

I think $2 per month is worth to try than blowing mind with those free hosts.
jerry
Captain of the Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »

000webhost.com is too crap. It was very good in start up but now it has become almost useless hosting.

I will never recommend any free host in my life. I had a lots of problem in my past with such hosts.

Nowadays I am using sparkgate.net. It's just $2 per month with unlimited bandwidth and 5 GB space. More than anything else, it provides shard support to it's clients.

I think $2 per month is worth to try than blowing mind with those free hosts.

000webhost is a very nice host (free hosting)
If you're gonna use it on a live server  Roll Eyes  yes, indeed it will suck and will give you problems.

Free hosts are only for a development server >.>
Free doesn't give you 50% CPU.
Brendan
I am Brendan.
Mod God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »

Most all servers you see that are using a free host, dont have many players online due to the problems that they cause.

1.Most free hosts will keep giving you Database Connection Errors, which can be annoying to a player.
2.Due to it being free, most times of the day it is very slow, and that also can be annoying for someone trying to level up.
3.With free hosts you dont get instant help from them, say for instance, my host, anytime i have a problem i can just pop on to there live chat and get it dealt with there and then.

So you may be thinking how can i get a host if i dont have the money for it
Well there are many hosts out there that offer cheap packages for good hosting.

So with your free host, set it up, try get a few regulars to play, if they do decide to donate a little, then go and buy a cheap host and then you will have better quality for your game
Silient
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

I've got a game unning on 5gigs.net and its running pretty well. I'd definitely recommend it for a test server or a very small live server. If your only going to have about 5 people on at a time don't bother paying this will run it just fine. One wierd thing I've noticed is that thier free hosting gives more bandwith and storage than their own paid hosting...Not their "Premium" hosting though. All in all the stats are better than a lot of paid hosting...

FanboyStudios
Militia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »

Cry 

Re: Free Hosts NOT to Use
Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:27:34 PM
   Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: AlphaEdocsil on October 01, 2009, 05:12:09 PM

I have been using it for a while and it only happens once.

Quote from: h_ on December 10, 2009, 08:51:10 AM
Quote from: AlphaEdocsil on October 01, 2009, 05:12:09 PM

Three years of use and a DDoS attack has only ocurred once o.o In the terms of gaming scripts however, they allow LotGD as stated by their "Help Desk" representatives - Just not JS or flash games. Example: BowMan, Asteroids, etc. =]

Actually no, they do not allow LoGD. I created an account and it worked great, setup went smoother than all others i've tried. Then suddenly the site was took down for review (this happens to everybody who uses 000webhost). They say it could take up to 4 hours, but mine had been at least 12 hours. Later I found out they suspended it for running a gaming script. They took the site down without warning. I ended up upgrading to their premium host "Hosting24". Setup is not complete and it seems LoGD might not be compatible. I am also still waiting for them to unsuspend my account like they said they would if I upgrade. Other than that, I hadn't had any signs of slowness or other problems with 000webhost. Don't use them, there's no guarantee your site will stay online. The idea of free is nice, but the terms against gaming scripts are not. It seems to me that their free tier would be powerful enough for my usage, until I could get enough funds for a paid host. If everything goes right with my new host, my new game will be a www.thehungergamesrpg.ne t  Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DragonPrime Notices
Version 1.1.2 is the current supported version and is available for download.

Support Us
No funds raised yet this year
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Recent Topics
DragonPrime LoGD
Who's Online
109 Guests, 0 Users
Home Forums News Downloads Login Register Advanced Search